share rss forum feed

berserken

join:2011-03-27
Oakland, CA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

XFX HD 7850 and Furmark

I run Linux and have had some potentially video-related issues. Since there is more Windows data about hardware, I followed one recommendation for Furmark and installed it to my XP Pro. I wanted to give the card a stress test to see if there was some weakness with that. It was a full screen 15 minute run, gpu indicated at 99%, temperature rising to 66C in the first few minutes and staying there, fan indicated at 64%.

I don't see a problem, here, do you?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Don't run Furmark, it will ruin your GPU.

comeonreally

@69.118.94.x

Very untrue... I am sure MSI for example is not gona give you a tool that will damage your card... (msi kombuster (sp?) is furmark)

I have not stressed my gpus in forever... temps are nice and low...

FPS maybe seem low?

Just don't be all worried about you GPU being dead now, feel free to go to msis website and download there overclocking tools... again, is a company REALLY gona tell you to run a tool that will kill the GPU?

berserken

Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Thanks for the helpful information. I, too, thought frame rate might be a little anemic. I get the sense from other reports that this is not a very high-performing card. However, I don't do games, not too worried about impressive benching. I just had some X crashes, it seems, when I was running dvd-slideshow and other soft that do transcoding and wanted to isolate the cause. I ran memtest and got through one pass, at least. I thought, if there was a flaw in the card, a little stress testing might expose it. Another element is a mini-DP to HDMI adapter I was playing with recently. I removed that and haven't seen the X crash since, so maybe that is the culprit.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to comeonreally

said by comeonreally :

Very untrue... I am sure MSI for example is not gona give you a tool that will damage your card... (msi kombuster (sp?) is furmark)

I have not stressed my gpus in forever... temps are nice and low...

FPS maybe seem low?

Just don't be all worried about you GPU being dead now, feel free to go to msis website and download there overclocking tools... again, is a company REALLY gona tell you to run a tool that will kill the GPU?

There are literally countless posts all over the web of people that destroyed their GPU's using that software.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to comeonreally

said by comeonreally :

Bad example and horribly untrue. If you have a recent AMD card, DO NOT USE FURMARK.
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

bigheatpowa

@69.118.94.x
reply to berserken

furmark likely is not the best test for that, sounds like it would be a memory issue, I want to say furmark does not do a very good job stressing GPU memory. It's more of a max heat tool... (reason everyone is saying it will kill your card) Wish I had off hand a link a good memory tested for a vid card... but I do not =( I'd google for one...

The low scores could be a throttle... forgot about them doing that...

Ya I'm going to listen to everyone on the internet... because we "know" that it was furmark, not maybe the POS psu they had, etc... etc. Like saying intel burn test is gona kill your CPU... we know they did not overvolt or overclock the shit out of the gpu right then come to the internet complaining?

amd and nvidia at least *did* throttle stress tests for a while now...

Maybe give us a stress test then than just keep saying furmark is gona kill the GPU...

Side note I googled furmark dead gpu... I got 580's and 90's being killed by it lol...

Either way its a heat tool pretty much... that's it...

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

3 edits
reply to berserken

Have you tried another slot on the motherboard?

Also check the card memory before looking for alternate, older or newer drivers.

This tool is a must have in my books: Video Memory stress Test
»mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?pag···S/vmt_en
It might be slightly old and not updated of late but I'm sure if there is a hardware issue and memory related it will pick it up.

Otherwise: OCCT
»www.ocbase.com/

Or: AIDA64:
»www.aida64.com/

Or: MemtestCL
»folding.stanford.edu/home/downlo···ilities/
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to comeonreally

said by comeonreally :

again, is a company REALLY gona tell you to run a tool that will kill the GPU?

Most companies that develop components have horrible software Q&A (ask anyone who tried to run AI Suite II on an ASUS board). It is bad practice to make wild assumptions about the validity/safety of software from a hardware manufacturing company (or any company for that matter).

There have been numerous reports of Furmark ruining cards. The issue stems (and by the way, it is a wide range of Nvidia and AMD cards) from Furmark bypassing the protections (overvoltage protection, VRM shutdown temperatures, and etc) in place on the cards. It got to the point that Nvidia and AMD actually put protections inside the vBIOS of their cards to detect if Furmark is running and undervolt/downclock the card.

If you want to run a bench on a card, use things like Cinebench, AIDA64, OCCT, 3Dmark, and PCMark (total system performance). This information is out there. We all have internet if we are on these forums. You can look at websites like Guru3D, Xbitlabs, Bit-tech, or [insert your favorite GPU review site] to find a decent suite of GPU benchmarking tools.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo
»www.chaoticconfused.com

berserken

Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to norwegian

said by norwegian:

This tool is a must have in my books: Video Memory stress Test
»mikelab.kiev.ua/index_en.php?pag···S/vmt_en

I ran the default test from the iso for about an hour with no error. After booting, I re-ran dvd-slideshow and got the same symptom, mouse cursor moving but, otherwise, unresponsive X. In virtual terminals, if I try to login as normal user, after giving the password, there is no return to prompt. I can log as root, where 'top' shows a screen full of bash processes owned by my normal user. So, what triggered my concerns about the card appears to be some fault with the program or something it triggers. The card does not so much seem to be an issue. Thanks for all the ideas.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

I'm not a Linux guru, but while looking for answers, I came across this info.

How to set up OpenCL in Linux:
»wiki.tiker.net/OpenCLHowTo
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Bad example and horribly untrue. If you have a recent AMD card, DO NOT USE FURMARK.

I feel like I dodge a bullet... I used that a few times on my 7950 a little over a year ago. Thank goodness I use my games as a test now.

berserken

Oakland, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to norwegian

said by norwegian:

How to set up OpenCL in Linux:

Thanks. I'm going more in this direction:

said by norwegian:

Have you tried another slot on the motherboard?

The reason I'm playing with the 7850 is I was running a 6950 and thought I had it doing what I wanted but it seemed to die. I'm not ready to throw it away, as it could be something like the slot, motherboard, power supply or something else. The power supply is a CM 600W Silent Pro for an i7-2600K in an Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen 3, 4 x 4GB Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1600, 6TB storage on 4 sata hdd, a couple of 60GB ssd, Xonar DX sound card, pci modem, HVR-2250 pcie tuner card...

The 6950 is too big for that case, a pain to get in and out, but I've breadboarded a P5Q Deluxe with the 6950, a QX6700 and 2 x 2G DDR2-800 Patriot 6400EL ram sticks. The power supply is a Corsair HX520W. That setup ran memtest86+ and vmtce without error, so I added a 2TB Seagate hdd where I installed ROSA Linux for a little more testing....

Heaven, normal software installation, sftp of PMS media server from the main box and testing that as it transcoded an mkv to my PS3 all worked without noticeable problem. The cores of the cpu (reportedly) got close to 100C when running sftp and PMS but I didn't see any video problem. The cooler is stock and I couldn't get one hold-down to latch but I didn't want to harnangue around with it any more. I'll set up a better cooler if I build something with it.

So, I don't know about the original 16x slot but it's running the HD 7850 without crashes as long as I don't run dvd-slideshow. There's some tearing/trailing for some reason when ReminderFox pops up from the bottom of Seamonkey and, anyway, I'm interested in trying to get the 6950 up and running, again, just not in this case. I ordered a Corsair Carbide 200R for a better fit. I am thinking there's a possibility the CM power supply is marginal or failing, so I might try to consolidate storage on fewer hdd in the new case, maybe test the 520W Corsair in there...