uniqs

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to inferno_gn

Mod

to inferno_gn

Re: [Home Phone] Do not call or dial #2030...

It seems there are a few possibilities here from the various posts I've read about this #2030 deal ...

1) People misdial an 8xx number and land on some recording that tells them the number's out of service and they should dial #2030 to update the number.

2) People misdial an 8xx number and the number automagically transfers them to #2030 with the cost of the #2030 service being transferred to the original caller and not the forwarder.

3) People aren't deliberately dialing an 8xx number, but they are appearing in their call lists, suggesting that there's some rogue software doing "pocket dialing" with the same result as 2) above.

If it appears that they are pocket dialing ... then yeah, check for rogue software.

If it's misdials, then report the numbers you've ended up on to the CRTC and/or the »www.antifraudcentre-cent ··· ome.html

Even report the pocketdialing stuff to the antifraud centre too.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

My phone is set to block every single phone call unless they are on my whitelist. I started by blocking 800,866,888,877 etc

Add 855 and 844 to that list, those are valid TF area codes now.
richnormand
join:2010-10-22
Ottawa, ON

richnormand

My Rogers cell number start with 883 (Ottawa, ON region) so I guess the old 8xx rule is not as valid as it used to? Anyone has up-to-date info on number allocation these days?

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by richnormand:

My Rogers cell number start with 883 (Ottawa, ON region) so I guess the old 8xx rule is not as valid as it used to? Anyone has up-to-date info on number allocation these days?

That's just the NXX, for toll free numbers the NPA 8xx.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to inferno_gn

to inferno_gn
and I believe 833 is in service or coming soon.

Those are the only valid TF "area-codes" that I'm aware of. The only other numbers that can act like a TF are the 310-XXXX numbers, but those are carrier dependent and seem to have no real standardization. (From my observations)

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 edit

sbrook

Mod

Yeah, I was able to dial 613-310-BELL from Colorado to get Bell to do a phone install and it was toll free.

From what i've been reading, you can't rely on that though ... 310 calls are all specially routed and may end up going through Toronto ... which could incur LD charges!

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to voxframe

Premium Member

to voxframe
Toll free expansion, 833, 822, 880-887 and 889.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To ··· _America

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

1 edit

kevinds

Premium Member

I was not aware of the 88X NPAs

Cool
kanatamike
join:2013-07-19
Kanata, ON

kanatamike to Charlee

to Charlee
said by Charlee:

I need to find myself a Nigerian prince who wants to give me all their money.... sheesh

One without Ebola.

Charlee
Premium Member
join:2013-09-05
canada

Charlee

Premium Member

said by kanatamike:

One without Ebola.

So true....