spc
Search similar:

uniqs

johnburns
join:2004-10-14
Oklahoma City, OK

johnburns

[OK] Intermittent Internet Question

I am in NW Oklahoma City, near Penn Square. My Internet connection has been going down about every 20 minutes this afternoon, then coming back up. I called Cox and was told by the girl answering the phone that this type problem was probably due to my modem going out. Is this a legitimate explanation? She suggested this without asking any questions about length of time this has been happening, etc. Am I wrong in feeling this was a rather lame response to my problem? Over the past four weeks, this type outage has happened 5 times -I was previously told that work being done in my area may be the cause - even to the point of giving me 3 days credit for service on next month's bill. Now, suddenly my modem may be the problem? Should I be looking for a new modem?

I hate to be so skeptical, but I feel Cox may not like to tell customers that Cox indeed has a problem, and that this customer representative was just telling me what Cox has told her to say until they resolve the problem. Am I being unreasonable in my approach to the problem? FWIW, the connection has now been back up for almost an hour with no problems indicated.

MarkRH
Premium Member
join:2005-02-08
Edmond, OK
ARRIS BGW210-700
ARRIS TM3402
Asus RT-AC68

MarkRH

Premium Member

I'm in NW OKC just north of 122nd and Lake Hefner. I haven't been seeing the symptoms you describe. Last time my internet went out a week or so ago was during a firmware upgrade on my Cisco DPQ3212 (I noticed it had changed from June 2012 to Oct 2013).

If you're using a router, might try bypassing it and going straight to the modem. Generally if there is a known problem in your area, it'll say so during the phone call before you reach a person.

johnburns
Oklahoma City, OK

1 edit

johnburns

Thanks, Mark - appreciate your reply. I probably am running on borrowed time with my modem. It's a Motorola SB5101 and is about 3 1/2 years old.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

A coworker had a similar problem a few years ago with his SB5101. Unfortunately, the remote diagnosis was badly done and they stated it was a problem outside of his house. Technician tested outside lines and equipment and found no problems. Another coworker suggested a new SB5101 modem would fix the problem. The new modem solved the problem. The old one was acting up as it heated up due to usage. After it exceeded some high temperature, it would stop functioning correctly. Once it cooled down, a restart would get it running OK again, for a short time period.

I would try a new modem. My suggestion is a Motorola SB6141 white exterior case modem.

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25390001

»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· 0AJHDZSI

»www.bestbuy.com/site/mot ··· =7534146

johnburns
Oklahoma City, OK

johnburns

Thank you, David for the suggestion and links. Appreciate your input.
johnburns

1 edit

johnburns to davidhoffman

to davidhoffman
Thanks, David - I have ordered Arris/Motorola SB6141 from Walmart - will be here Tuesday. Hope all goes well with installing it. Appreciate your suggestion - it was time to upgrade. I have been having intermittent Internet since Tuesday (6 days) each day from around Noon until 5 or 6 PM. Strange! Maybe the new modem will solve it.
johnburns

1 edit

johnburns

Update - I ended up with a Motorola SB6121 Modem and a Linksys EA3500 N750 Router and my d/l speed has increased from 11mbps to 35mbps. Not bad - am on Cox Preferred Package of 50mbps now, but with wireless 35 seems pretty good. Much better in that no more intermittent signals. Appreciate all the help in here.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

I thought you ordered a SB6141.

johnburns
Oklahoma City, OK

johnburns

David, I ordered a SB6141 from Walmart - but thanks to Walmart and Fed Ex, it was delayed. So I checked out BestBuy local inventory - they had one in stock, but when i got there, it was gone (if it was ever there). They had one SB6121 on the shelf, so I just gave up and took it. Seems to be working fine tho. Sometimes things just don't work out the way I plan - lol.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

OK. I have encountered the Best Buy on line inventory shows one left, but it is not there when you get to the store situation. For anything that is displayed, it is the display model that is sometimes listed as inventory. Of course you cannot have that one. If not on display, it got sold before you arrived.

Yes, the SB6121 will do fine for a while.