spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Jim_in_VA (banned)
join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

MC and Roku

With Roku and Netflix you can set your bit rate to use less data. With Roku and Amazon Prime you can't. I watched one hour of "Deadwood" on Prime and it consumed 2.5GB. Sad that Amazon won't let you set bit rate on their offering.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

Those of us with no option but the 20 GB plan would only have a little less than 8 hrs at that rate.
ggultra2764
join:2007-09-13
Cambridge, NY

ggultra2764 to Jim_in_VA

to Jim_in_VA
Hence why Netflix is better for those suffering from low data caps. Setting it at the lowest setting when I streamed from them two years ago would only hog about 300 MB an hour from my end. You could get away with roughly 68 hours of video streaming on Netflix on that setting.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

I have found a way to set the bit rate on any Roku channel

beck
MVM
join:2002-01-29
On The Road

beck

MVM

said by Jim_in_VA:

I have found a way to set the bit rate on any Roku channel

How? And what version of Roku box
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

Click for full size
I have a Roku 3, but this should work for any model

beck
MVM
On The Road

beck

MVM

But will that just slow the download or actually cut the amount of data being downloaded?
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

It will reduce the amount of data being downloaded and the quality of the video, depending on which bit rate you select

beck
MVM
On The Road

beck

MVM

Ok, will try this when I get back to my Roku box in a few weeks. It would be so handy!

Thank you!
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to Jim_in_VA

Premium Member

to Jim_in_VA
Wow thanks!

If this works, that actually makes Roku a bit more attractive then, since that remains my biggest complaint with Amazon Prime Streaming Video, that you can’t set your bandwidth like you can with Netflix. But it looks like Roku might have a way around this.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

yeah, Amazon Prime will use your entire connection speed automatically. With this hidden menu you control the bit rate.

OutThere
@184.224.188.x

OutThere

Anon

I think the "sender" controls how much data you use. When you set Netflix it reduces the data stream. If the sender dosn't match what Roku is set at, it could just cause more buffering. Think it could depend on how the Roku apps are wrote.

Someone needs to run some tests on individual services to see if it holds up.

Also, not sure this setting will hold over with a reboot. Think I tried this last year, and ended up going back to auto at some point.
Jim_in_VA (banned)
Cobbs Creek, VA

Jim_in_VA (banned)

even after a reboot it does not take a lot of effort to enter the code and select the bit rate.