spc
Search similar:

uniqs

turbo
@24.214.21.x

1 edit

turbo

Anon

[Install] Why does Comcast require a truck roll to provision a modem?

why is it comcast MUST have a tech come out to my place to simply provision a modem? What is the problem? the line is good and I think I can find the MAC address. 2 stinkin weeks I have to wait! WHY WHY WHY?!?!??!??!??!?!

Mod edit: Title change for better subject searchability. Sunny See Profile

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Re: [Install] WhY Do ThEy dO ThIs pOiNtLeSs CrAp?!?!??!?!??!?!

Do you have there phone service ?
Expand your moderator at work
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 edit

Kearnstd to turbo

Premium Member

to turbo

is this a new service? its possible your house is not even hooked up. If your house is not hooked to the system they have to come out.

turbo
@24.214.21.x

turbo

Anon

It is new service, the cable was installed by comcast, because the building owner has a contract with comcast

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by turbo :

It is new service, the cable was installed by comcast, because the building owner has a contract with comcast

Then I think they want to check that the downstream and upstream levels/SNRs are good.

They did that to me when I added HSI service to my TV-only one a few years back.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

In some markets you cant do a self install if you have there phone service. You never answered that question but it may be the reason.

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by Jim721:

In some markets you cant do a self install if you have there phone service. You never answered that question but it may be the reason.

Yes, I needed yet another tech visit when I upgraded to a Triple-play promo last December.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

yep the tech visit I think is doubly vital when there is a TN port involved. I know that when I worked for Comcast and the SIK or Self Install Kit for CDV was in its infancy you could only SIK with a comcast TN, Ported required a truck roll. truck roll was also required if you wanted it tied into your house wiring.

Self Install was pretty much your phone had to sit by the EMTA.

turbo
@24.214.21.x

turbo

Anon

no phone
turbo

1 edit

turbo

Anon

how about they provision, and if all is good, cancel the truck and save everyone money? actions of a top heavy out of touch company.

rhffdty
@67.183.62.x

1 edit

rhffdty

Anon

If you called and they tried over the phone but a tech is being sent to your house then it's required. What happened when you connected the modem and tried to activate it on your own? There is no magic button that they have that'll make a PHYSICAL connection.

Sunny
Runs from Clowns

join:2001-08-19

Sunny to turbo

to turbo

Re: [Install] Why does Comcast require a truck roll to provision a modem?

For the benefit of both new members and unregistered, this is not an appropriate forum for political discussion.

TIA for your cooperation,

DocDrew
How can I help?
Premium Member
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
Ubee E31U2V1
Technicolor TC4400
Linksys EA6900

DocDrew to turbo

Premium Member

to turbo

said by turbo :

how about they provision, and if all is good, cancel the truck and save everyone money? actions of a top heavy out of touch company.

What happened when you connected your modem to the cable? Where you able to surf anywhere or did the modem not sync?

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to turbo

Premium Member

to turbo

Re: [Install] Why does Comcast require a truck roll to provision a modem?

FYI I had to have a truck roll for an internet only install at a previous apt - but I think it was because my drop was disconnected @ the MDU tap.

Tech was great, made sure the signals were good, and got my purchased modem working and online and verified the speeds. Tech was an in house installer, not a contactor (for what its worth). This was a few years ago (3 or 4 or so)
GusHerb
join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL

GusHerb to turbo

to turbo
That might explain why a tech came to our house to port our number over to CDV even though I had gotten a SIK with a temp number. (Added to existing internet and economy TV) I was never notified that a tech was scheduled when I had spoken with the porting department who coordinated the whole thing so I ended up missing that appt. Ended up speaking to porting dpt again, just ended up skipping the tech install and they, while in coordination with the activations department had me going within a single 30 minute phone call.

I did the tie In to the house wiring myself.

turbo
@24.214.21.x

1 edit

turbo

Anon

I just had a #comcast representative first, tell me they didn't want to send too many "refreshes" because the modem could "light on fire" due to the numerous requests, kept silent on that, second lady asked if I had "moved the modem", uhh, I didn't take it to OCharleys or anything so, nope, same modem same place. Then she said it must be the "ingress connection", and a tech needed to be sent. Unless there are 1000 leprechauns running around the neighborhood, cutting cables. I should be good, hung up in her FACE!! 2 minutes later working fine. Love #comcast
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

I'd hate to be the tech that shows up at your door.
jagged
join:2003-07-01
Boynton Beach, FL

jagged to turbo

to turbo
it doesn't

I bought a Zoom 5341J yesterday swapped it out, directly connected to my PC, and provisioned it online in 2 minutes

telcodad
MVM
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

said by jagged:

it doesn't

I bought a Zoom 5341J yesterday swapped it out, directly connected to my PC, and provisioned it online in 2 minutes

Well, you "swapped it out," meaning that you already had HSI service.

For the OP, it's a new service, in which case, a tech is dispatched to check that the downstream and upstream levels/SNRs are good on that drop/connection for HSI service.
said by turbo :

turbo
@24.214.21.x

turbo

Anon

that's kind of lame, can't they just check those levels remotely as soon as the modem is provisioned and roll a tuck only if needed? Less wasteful.

RR Conductor
Ridin' the rails
Premium Member
join:2002-04-02
Redwood Valley, CA

RR Conductor to turbo

Premium Member

to turbo
Maybe so they can try and upsell you