join:2002-07-22
Mountain View, CA

1 edit

EricBergan

Premium Member

[Speed] Do I need a modem upgrade?

said by koitsu:

Additional details:

Package: "Blast" tier ("bundle" service, basic cable + Internet only)
Modem: SB6121, f/w SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.10-SCM00-NOSH (before and after)
Client: Windows XP Pro SP3 with extensive TCP tuning in registry

I'm also in Mountain View, on Extreme - Internet only. Power cycled my modem, no change. It's an UBEE ddm3513 (leased). Do I need to get Comcast to upgrade the modem? Thanks.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by EricBergan:

said by koitsu:

Additional details:

I'm also in Mountain View, on Extreme - Internet only. Power cycled my modem, no change. It's an UBEE ddm3513 (leased). Do I need to get Comcast to upgrade the modem? Thanks.

If you're on what is now Extreme 150, absolutely. The modem you have is only 4x4. You need a 8x4 or better to get your full speed. People on Extreme 150 with 8x4 or better modems get 150-170 vs 135 flat with 4x4 modems before they swapped out.

What speeds are you seeing? Since you rent, you have nothing to lose by going and swapping out, if it comes to that.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick

Premium Member

said by Chris 313:

said by EricBergan:

said by koitsu:

Additional details:

If you're on what is now Extreme 150, absolutely. The modem you have is only 4x4. You need a 8x4 or better to get your full speed. People on Extreme 150 with 8x4 or better modems get 150-170 vs 135 flat with 4x4 modems before they swapped out.

What speeds are you seeing? Since you rent, you have nothing to lose by going and swapping out, if it comes to that.

The Packaged he posted shows Blast! maybe he got the new Blast! Speeds which look like Extreme 105 speeds minus the 20Mb/s Upload. or maybe he upgraded to Extreme 150 which mean he would need a newer Modem.
EricBergan
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Mountain View, CA

1 recommendation

EricBergan

Premium Member

said by iNick:

The Packaged he posted shows Blast! maybe he got the new Blast! Speeds which look like Extreme 105 speeds minus the 20Mb/s Upload. or maybe he upgraded to Extreme 150 which mean he would need a newer Modem.

No, I was quoting someone with Blast, but I have Extreme 105 because I need the upload speed. Sounds like I need to place a call to Comcast to get a new modem. Thanks.