All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bgc
join:2003-01-23
Fort Smith, AR

bgc

Should I get Motorola sb6182 or Cisco dpc3010?

I need a new Docsis 3 modem and the local office has both of these available. Is one better than the other?

Thanks
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159

It depends

Are you paying a rental fee? If so, you might just want to buy your own, and make the money back in less than a year.

What speed plan are you on, and do you plan on upgrading?
bgc
Fort Smith, AR

bgc

I'm talking which should I purchase, not rent. Cox has doubled speeds in this area which requires a Docsis 3 modem.
phxuser
join:2010-03-16
Scottsdale, AZ

1 recommendation

phxuser

The SB6182 is a newer design and has better logs and diagnostic info. Either one is is a good choice. I would go with the 6182 if I was paying for it!
mikeluscher159
join:2011-09-04

mikeluscher159 to bgc

to bgc
What are those speeds up too?

The current de facto DOCSIS 3.0 Modem approved for COX is the 8x4 bonding SB6141 which can handle 300Mbps down/100MBps up. I assume this is more then enough for the upcoming speed boost?
»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· 0AJHDZSI

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium Member
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ

dvd536 to phxuser

Premium Member

to phxuser
however the DPC3010 provides a more stable connection so better logs isn't an issue if you never have to look at them
Needleinthha
join:2009-11-30
Chandler, AZ

Needleinthha to bgc

to bgc
said by bgc:

I need a new Docsis 3 modem and the local office has both of these available. Is one better than the other?

Thanks

I've had the 3010 from cox for a few years, literally never have any problems. Sold fast connection without any issues for months straight.

sniperboyz
join:2009-10-30
Portsmouth, VA
Technicolor CGM4331
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-Pro

sniperboyz to bgc

to bgc
Used to own Motorola SB6120 until it got hit by lightning. Now I using Cisco DPC3010. It seem stable and faster internet. I don't see any reboot or slow at all but log is not issue unless you don't need it then get it and you might notice different. Your decision to pick one what you like.
bgc
Fort Smith, AR

bgc to mikeluscher159

to mikeluscher159
said by mikeluscher159:

The current de facto DOCSIS 3.0 Modem approved for COX is the 8x4 bonding SB6141 which can handle 300Mbps down/100MBps up.

SB6182 has the same channel specs as the SB6141 I'm pretty sure. The SB6141 has USB and is white, which I don't like. The SB6182 is also a little smaller.

I'm going to get whatever I get from Cox, they said they doubled the warranty to 2 years. The fact you can just go swap it the same day if it ever goes out makes it worth paying a few extra bucks.
otacon9
join:2002-06-12
Phoenix, AZ

otacon9 to bgc

to bgc
As long as its Docsis 3.0 it doesn't matter. People are buying modems with 16/24 down streams for what? Not going to increase your speeds. i have the sb6180 and I'm not getting anything else until I can get a gigabit connection. Even then, don't see the point a home user needing one. I get 60/10 after getting bumped and I see no reason to get a faster package. I have at any point in time 12 devices on my network... 2 AppleTVs, couple iPads, laptops and I never see any lag even with all of them online. When Cox of Google comes a knocking years from now and offers me a GB connection for the same I'm paying now...sure I'll get it..until then I'm happy.

rgs_rx
join:2002-06-14
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

rgs_rx to bgc

to bgc
said by bgc:

Thanks

I bought a refurbished DPC3010 on EBAY: »tinyurl.com/n92yspz . This seller has sold dozens. It was manufactured in 2011 and looked like new. Of course YMMV. His current Buy It Now price is $18.20 with free shipping. You can make an offer lower. It was higher when I bought mine for $18.25 and it works perfectly, 117 Mb/s down/12 Mb/s up. The cost of a new one is about $79. I figured it was worth $18 to try one.
sparky007
join:2011-08-25
Phoenix, AZ

sparky007

Same here.. I purchased my DPC3010 off of ebay.. So far so good.

NewEgg has it for 79.00.. New

»www.newegg.com/Product/P ··· 25153007
bgc
Fort Smith, AR

bgc to rgs_rx

to rgs_rx
said by rgs_rx:

I bought a refurbished DPC3010 on EBAY: »tinyurl.com/n92yspz . This seller has sold dozens. It was manufactured in 2011 and looked like new. Of course YMMV. His current Buy It Now price is $18.20 with free shipping.

Must have fallen off the back of a truck. I usually steer clear of refurbs, but I will consider one if I get them straight from the manufacturer. I'll probably stick with buying it from Cox for the reasons previously stated, but thanks for the suggestions.
martinh
join:2010-03-24

1 edit

martinh

said by bgc:

said by rgs_rx:

I bought a refurbished DPC3010 on EBAY: »tinyurl.com/n92yspz . This seller has sold dozens. It was manufactured in 2011 and looked like new. Of course YMMV. His current Buy It Now price is $18.20 with free shipping.

Must have fallen off the back of a truck. I usually steer clear of refurbs, but I will consider one if I get them straight from the manufacturer. I'll probably stick with buying it from Cox for the reasons previously stated, but thanks for the suggestions.

These guys sent me TWO broken dpc3010's. The first one didn't power up (do they not test anything?!). The second one wouldn't pull any signals. Even had a tech come over, it was a headache.

I eventually bought one from another seller »www.ebay.com/itm/201126596142

It worked.

rgs_rx
Phoenix, AZ

rgs_rx to bgc

to bgc
said by bgc:

said by rgs_rx:

What is Cox charging for a DPC3010?
bgc
Fort Smith, AR

bgc

said by rgs_rx:

I didn't ask, but I assume the same as the Motorola which was $89. But, price isn't the only consideration.

rgs_rx
Phoenix, AZ

rgs_rx

said by bgc:

said by rgs_rx:

I didn't ask, but I assume the same as the Motorola which was $89. But, price isn't the only consideration.

Actually, if it's $89, it's a decent price for either one. That's only about $10 more than you could get it on your own. I have two accounts (one to access work), and have one of each.

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

1 recommendation

OpTiC to bgc

Premium Member

to bgc
The best modem you can get is the sb 6183 it's approved for Cox. You can pre order that modem today. The diference of the sb6182 and the sb6183 is you get more channel so that helps congestion and it will benefit for higher tiers when it's available. Here is a link.
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· KIKX0DER

Hard Harry7
join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI

Hard Harry7

The hold on that is going to be atleast a week imo.

rgs_rx
Phoenix, AZ

rgs_rx to OpTiC

to OpTiC
said by OpTiC :

The best modem you can get is the sb 6183 it's approved for Cox. You can pre order that modem today. The diference of the sb6182 and the sb6183 is you get more channel so that helps congestion and it will benefit for higher tiers when it's available. Here is a link.
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· KIKX0DER

Will Cox use all 16 downstream channels now or just eight? Eight channels on both the Cisco 3010 and the Motorola SB6141 both give me 100+ down and 10+ up. If they only use eight and it's just a matter of buying a "future-proof" modem, it's probably not worth paying extra for one right now....at least here in Phoenix. Cox timeline is to START rolling out Gigabit by the end of 2016. This is also probably about the time Google will become generally available in Phoenix should they make a final commitment to do so. And if Google does come here, I can't see Cox beating $70/month for 1000Mb/s down and 1000Mb/s up, not to mention $120/month for TV service.
bgc
Fort Smith, AR

bgc

said by OpTiC :

The best modem you can get is the sb 6183 it's approved for Cox. You can pre order that modem today. The diference of the sb6182 and the sb6183 is you get more channel so that helps congestion and it will benefit for higher tiers when it's available

Overkill for me, my choices are the two I listed.
ajwees41
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Omaha, NE

ajwees41 to mikeluscher159

Premium Member

to mikeluscher159
I think Cox no longer rents modems unless you had a phone modem without phone service.
otacon9
join:2002-06-12
Phoenix, AZ

1 edit

otacon9 to bgc

to bgc
Anything more than 8 downstream channels is a waste. 8 channels have a technical limit of ~340Mbps.

However, if you want... you can get the 6183 in a few weeks for $119..

Amazon SB6183

OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to Hard Harry7

Premium Member

to Hard Harry7
I recently check amazon expect ship next month.