Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
join:2001-03-31
Saint Louis, MO

7 recommendations

jopfef

MVM

[Chat] Surprise!

I finally got a chance to get outside and take pictures of my Surprise Lillies! It was raining when I took these yesterday, and the longer it rained, the brighter the colors got; we've been without any rain for over a month now.

These lillies live under a dead hickory tree. I'm going to move them when the tree man comes in a few weeks to take down that tree; don't want anything to happen to them.

So, enjoy the pictures!

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
428.1 21.6

1 recommendation

sashwa

Mod

Naked ladies

»www.natorp.com/tips/inde ··· 197&rd=1

Santa Fe
BUT.....I Digress!

join:2000-08-22
Freight Yard

2 recommendations

Santa Fe

Shh, if Sorto finds out she'll make Jo put clothes on them!

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

jopfef

MVM

Okay, I knew they were also called Naked Ladies.

But, I didn't want to cause ANY problems for Sorto, specially since I "damned" a caterpillar in her wonderful Baby Birds story.

So there.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz
428.1 21.6

1 recommendation

sashwa

Mod

I debated with myself for a hot second before posting their other name.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

1 recommendation

jopfef

MVM

said by sashwa:

I debated with myself for a hot second before posting their other name.

LOL!!! Not at all surprised that it only took ONE second for you to make up your mind on that!

They're also known as Resurrection Lillies and Magic Lillies, and their proper name is Lycoris squamigera; they are members of the Amaryllis family of flowers. That's probably a MUCH nicer collection of names than Naked Ladies -- at least, where Sorto is concerned.

sashwa
Mod
Alcatraz

1 recommendation

sashwa

Mod

I've only known them as NL.

rusdi
American V
MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR

1 recommendation

rusdi to jopfef

MVM

to jopfef
Jo, we've got those things growing wild EVERYWHERE!
I thought they were asparagus sprouts when they first started coming up. The wife accused me of weed-eating 'em down, but I didn't.

She was "surprised" when they finally did come up & bloom.

jopfef
Home of The Rat Patrol
MVM
Saint Louis, MO

jopfef

MVM

Russ, they grow wild here too! I was shocked as can be the first year I lived here, when the leaves died off so quickly. Thought maybe my nutty Yellow Lab had done something to them. And then got the beautiful flowers a few months later -- what a wonderful surprise!

They've spread quite a bit over the last five years. I'm going to move them before the tree man comes to take down that dead tree, so that nothing happens to them.