Search similar:

uniqs
jlsanz
join:2011-08-16
Covington, LA

jlsanz to my thoughts

to my thoughts

Re: GPON or BPON

also can you tell if I am on a N or K card? if not should I ask tech to put me on one?

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

1 recommendation

my thoughts to jlsanz

Anon

to jlsanz
In your first picture see two wires being used from cable, the green pair is to the line mod providing sync to RG. The blue is a VoIP back feed from RG phone port to your inside phone wire, a set of scotchloks are used to make the connection.

In your later picture with the company side of NID open, the blue wires are no longer connected.

If do not have VOIP (Uverse phone) or have VOIP but using a base station plugged directly into jack then would not need the blue pair. In our area, if phones need to be connected to house wiring, we are not to use the same cat5 cable that carries the signal to the RG. While the cat5 is designed to minimize cross talks between pairs, the decision was to not take the risk, run a separate cable.

rolande
Certifiable
MVM,
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
ARRIS BGW210-700
Cisco Meraki MR42

rolande

MVM,

said by my thoughts :

In our area, if phones need to be connected to house wiring, we are not to use the same cat5 cable that carries the signal to the RG. While the cat5 is designed to minimize cross talks between pairs, the decision was to not take the risk, run a separate cable.

I knew it. Despite all the frequent claims around here of AT&T having idiots for employees, there are actual signs of intelligent life within the death star. You wonder how many repair truck rolls that decision has saved your garage?
jlsanz
Covington, LA

jlsanz to my thoughts

to my thoughts
the phone is plugged into the gateway is that ok?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by jlsanz:

the phone is plugged into the gateway is that ok?

If that is acceptable to you, then it is certainly OK. There is no need to back-feed the FXS output of the RG to the NID or the in-house telco wiring if you don't need/plan to plug a telephone into any of the in-house telco jacks. These days it is not uncommon for a VoIP ATA to connect to a cordless DECT phone controller, and totally bypass the old in-house telco wiring, but still have multiple phone extensions throughout the residence. FWIW, I use a DECT controller that also allows connecting up to two cell phones via bluetooth in addition to the VoIP "landline" connection.
jlsanz
Covington, LA

jlsanz

Thanks !

TestBoy
Premium Member
join:2009-10-13
Irmo, SC

TestBoy to my thoughts

Premium Member

to my thoughts
said by my thoughts :

f phones need to be connected to house wiring, we are not to use the same cat5 cable that carries the signal to the RG.

That's how I would do it.... and that's not how they do it here unfortunately.

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Associated with the NVG589 upgrade, did they change your customer-side NID wiring also? Then post another pic...