All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
whiskeyii
join:2014-08-02
Orlando, FL

whiskeyii

Lightning 90, own modem and router, wifi: possible?

Hello all!

I just moved to Orlando, and I'll be setting up a Brighthouse network tomorrow. In preparation for the move, I bought my own modem (ARRIS / Motorola SurfBoard SB6141 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem) and my own router (ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router). My sister, who is also in Orlando, just had her network installed. However, the technician informed her that while she could use her own modem and router for a wired connection, she *had* to purchase an all-in-one modem/router combo to set up wireless in her apartment.

Is this true? Is there no way to get wireless inside my apartment using my own equipment? I don't *mind* paying the rental fee, but I'm a little leery of all-in-one setups, and I'd like to be able to use my own equipment.

EDIT: Also, I'm pretty tech-unsavvy. So, you know, try to keep it simple. Tech jargon tends to get lost on me.

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. As long as you have your own router with wireless built in, there is no need for them to drop another modem for wireless.
whiskeyii
Orlando, FL

whiskeyii

*shrug* That's what the told us after going through 3 technicians. I can't explain it. :/

telijah
Premium Member
join:2013-04-22
Brandon, FL

telijah

Premium Member

Have to let BHNTechXpert chime in then. I had almost the same setup as you, the moto surfboard in bridge mode and running an asus rt n56u for my wireless.
whiskeyii
Orlando, FL

whiskeyii

What is "bridge mode"?

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to whiskeyii

Premium Member

to whiskeyii
Lightning 90 "comes with" BHN's "wireless networking" for "free" which is probably why they made you get the combo modem even though you don't plan to use it. Just let them do it and have them bridge it then you can use your own wireless router. It shouldn't cost you more.
Astyanax

Astyanax to whiskeyii

Premium Member

to whiskeyii
said by whiskeyii:

What is "bridge mode"?

That's BHN speak for turning off the router part of the cable modem and making it just a modem.
whiskeyii
Orlando, FL

whiskeyii

Is it possible just to have them bridge my own modem instead of using theirs?

Astyanax
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL

Astyanax

Premium Member

Does your sister also have Lightning 90?
whiskeyii
Orlando, FL

whiskeyii

Actually, she has Lightning 60. Does that make a difference?
Aprel
join:2013-09-14

1 edit

Aprel to whiskeyii

to whiskeyii
Hmm, sounds to me like the tech meant that in order for him to set up her wireless, she would have to purchase the modem-router from Brighthouse, i.e., if she wanted to use her own equipment, BHN can't set that up for her; her own equipment is her own responsibility.

Edit: Actually, what did the tech offer to do for her in a wired install? Install her modem and router with a wired connection to PC? Didn't think they got involved with customer-owned equipment at all.
whiskeyii
Orlando, FL

whiskeyii

Yup, or rather, they said she didn't need a router for a wired connection and set up a wired connection to her modem for her. It was just the wireless part that required BHN's all-in-one.
Aprel

Aprel

said by whiskeyii:

Yup, or rather, they said she didn't need a router for a wired connection and set up a wired connection to her modem for her. It was just the wireless part that required BHN's all-in-one.

Ahh, ok, that makes sense. They'll install her modem for her and connect it wired to PC, but they're not going to get involved with her router.
said by Astyanax:

Lightning 90 "comes with" BHN's "wireless networking" for "free" which is probably why they made you get the combo modem even though you don't plan to use it. Just let them do it and have them bridge it then you can use your own wireless router. It shouldn't cost you more.

Yes, it "comes with" "wireless networking" for "free" but "the modem" is not "included" , i.e., I'm pretty sure you still pay the modem rental fee on 90 except you don't pay extra for wireless. So there is still an advantage to using your own modem on 90 and avoiding the modem fee.

@whiskeyii, our resident Brighthouse employee can advise you best on this. Sure, you can still get wireless in your house using only your equipment. It will be your responsibility to configure and maintain it if you don't go with Brighthouse's equipment. You mentioned you're not tech savvy, so consider if you really want to do this. On the flip side, don't let this dissuade you from learning how. It's not all that difficult and will give you the satisfaction and more technical knowledge.

twalls
join:2014-06-11
Tampa, FL
ARRIS SB8200
eero Wi-Fi System

twalls to whiskeyii

to whiskeyii
I do exactly what you're wanting to do with Lightning 90, but in Tampa. Don't see why it would be different in CFL. It makes if they signed you up for some wireless networking package that they would say you need their equipment because that is kind of the point of paying for that package.

One thing I will say is this: I use my own equipment because I am tech-savvy. I might save money in long run, but I spent like $300 upfront. If you're not tech-savvy, it might be simpler to return the stuff you bought and let them manage it. They replace stuff if it breaks, you get free upgrades over time, etc. You lose control, but if you're just plugging the stuff in and leaving the settings alone, you're not missing out on much.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
join:2001-10-20
USA

gigahurtz to whiskeyii

Premium Member

to whiskeyii
As others have mentioned, owning your own modem may not be the best solution for you if you aren't tech savy. While problems aren't all to common, it's important to be able to perform your own troubleshooting if you ever go down. While I know everyone here will always help you if you need any assistance, it's a decision you will need to make.

I do believe using a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and your own router is possible in the CFL area I would call in again and confirm with another CSR.
whiskeyii
Orlando, FL

whiskeyii

Are BHN's all-in-one's generally stable? Part of the reason I bought my own equipment was because I'd read reviews of modem-routers' tendencies to drop connections, fizz out, etc. That's really the main reason holding me back here, but if BHN has a good track record, either for equipment or customer service, then I'd be fairly content switching to their stuff.
Aprel

Aprel

said by whiskeyii:

Are BHN's all-in-one's generally stable?

Well, this being a place people come to vent about their problems, I'm sure you'll come across a good deal of horror stories.

None of BHN's equipment is intended to provide substandard service. If you get any problems, you call up (or better yet, post here in direct) and they will fix it. I, and many others, have gone through this ourselves, and it does get fixed.

You're out of luck if your own equipment breaks.

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz to whiskeyii

Premium Member

to whiskeyii
said by whiskeyii:

Are BHN's all-in-one's generally stable? Part of the reason I bought my own equipment was because I'd read reviews of modem-routers' tendencies to drop connections, fizz out, etc. That's really the main reason holding me back here, but if BHN has a good track record, either for equipment or customer service, then I'd be fairly content switching to their stuff.

The router/modem combo you chose is an excellent choice. It depends on your usage and what you'll be doing . If you have several devices, high bandwidth needs and a large wireless area than your modem and ASUS router will be excellent. If you are not concerned about coverage reaching far, if you have minimal devices and needs from your connection than BHN all in one router/modem will likely be sufficient. The average person wouldn't know the difference.
whiskeyii
Orlando, FL

1 edit

whiskeyii

Hmm...well, how do I know how much bandwidth is available from BHN? (Is it the "90" in Lightning 90?) I don't have a whole lot of devices (one desktop, one laptop, one smart phone), but I do a lot of streaming on my desktop, in the highest quality I can get it, either 720p or preferrably 1080p.

Ideally, I'd like to not have to wrestle with troubleshooting when something goes wrong, but I'd also like to stick to my usual streaming habits. Would Lightning 90 be a good setup for that?
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

BHNtechXpert to whiskeyii

Premium Member

to whiskeyii
said by whiskeyii:

Generally yes they are otherwise we wouldn't have our customers in them. Your needs will generally dictate which modem you are placed in....
BHNtechXpert

Premium Member

to whiskeyii
said by whiskeyii:

Hmm...well, how do I know how much bandwidth is available from BHN? (Is it the "90" in Lightning 90?) I don't have a whole lot of devices (one desktop, one laptop, one smart phone), but I do a lot of streaming on my desktop, in the highest quality I can get it, either 720p or preferrably 1080p.

Ideally, I'd like to not have to wrestle with troubleshooting when something goes wrong, but I'd also like to stick to my usual streaming habits. Would Lightning 90 be a good setup for that?

Are you the only person in the house that streams when you do... you compute your bandwidth needs based on the anticiapted aggregate simulatenous usage for your household. Don't buy more than you need or will use...that's simply money down the drain and then you hate us because your bill is too high and you don't see the expected value for the $. While we would simply love it if everyone picked 90 the reality is we want to keep you long term which means we need to help you balance your needs with your actual usage and budget.

Guide_Tim
join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA

1 edit

Guide_Tim to whiskeyii

to whiskeyii
whiskeyii I use my own SB6141 and my own ASUS RT-N66U. This setup should work flawlessly for you. The SB6141 Modem is on the "approved modems list" for BHN. You can use this Modem on what ever speed tier you choose even Lightning 90.
Just give them your modem's MAC address to activate your modem, if they give you any miss-information or confusion please let BHNtechXpert know and he can activate the modem for you. Enjoy
Also the RT-N66U will provide the wireless for your apartment just fine. Sorry they confused you.

Astyanax
Premium Member
Melbourne, FL
·AT&T FTTP

Astyanax to whiskeyii

Premium Member

to whiskeyii
said by whiskeyii:

If you're the only one using the bandwidth then Lightning 30 will be sufficient. I have 30 and I'm the only one using it and I can stream full HD from YouTube without any issues. It's when you have multiple people in your household doing it at the same time when the wider pipe becomes helpful. Otherwise you're paying for one of those concrete neighborhood sewer pipes for a garden hose's amount of water.
whiskeyii
Orlando, FL

whiskeyii

Alright, well it looks like the all-in-one is the way to go for me! I think I'll stick with Lightning 90 for a month just to test it out, and then downgrade as I need to. But thanks for all the help, everybody!

gigahurtz
Premium Member
USA

gigahurtz

Premium Member

said by whiskeyii:

Alright, well it looks like the all-in-one is the way to go for me! I think I'll stick with Lightning 90 for a month just to test it out, and then downgrade as I need to. But thanks for all the help, everybody!

You're welcome, that's what we are here for.

I am a fairly heavy user and I have Lightning 30. I upgraded to 60 last month and downgraded again after two weeks. I just felt no additional value in the upgrade. I use my connection quite a bit for streaming video in multiple rooms and on multiple devices, downloading, etc. While I would love to have the faster speeds, I can't justify the additional $30/mo for them. Hope this helps!
BHNtechXpert
The One & Only
Premium Member
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL

Premium Member

to whiskeyii
said by whiskeyii:

If you need anything reach out to me in direct...