Search similar:

uniqs
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_

Re: Making the numbers work on a new(ish) vehicle

I know I had an older corrolla that would get near 40 on the highway fairly consistant than high 20 occasionally low 30s in town. Think it is smaller than the Malibu.
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

said by nonymous:

I know I had an older corrolla that would get near 40 on the highway fairly consistant than high 20 occasionally low 30s in town. Think it is smaller than the Malibu.

That's a 4 cylinder car, he is claiming 38 mpg in a v6 with 5 people and a full trunk.
Dodge

1 edit

Dodge to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

go get a metro geo

Geo Metro is not a V6. On the other hand I just realized that you are the guy who was trying to convince everyone that a 5mph impact destroyed your transmission and totaled your car ( »Got rear ended :( today). I'm assuming this is your 38mpg miracle car: »03 impala idle issues. It would have to go downhill with an engine off and 5 people pushing it to get 38 mpg.
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to JoelC707

Premium Member

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

I was actually looking at the Jetta TDI for a while before we got the current car. We nearly bought one but the guy would never call us back or something like that. I figured with that car I could easily hit the 40-50 mark, maybe even graze 60 sometimes. The downside to that is the cost of diesel over gas. Around here diesel has been around 3.75 vs gas at 3.12 currently.

If we assume I get 28 MPG in the car and variable MPG in a TDI the numbers work like this.
Existing Car: 85 miles a day, 425 a week. That's 15.18 gallons in a week, $47.36
45 MPG TDI: 425 miles in a week, 9.44 gallons. $35.40
50 MPG TDI: 425 miles in a week, 8.5 gallons. $31.88
35 MPG Gas: 425 miles in a week, 12.14 gallons. $37.88
40 MPG Gas: 425 miles in a week, 10.625 gallons. $33.15

The cheaper gas gets (or the more expensive diesel gets), things only start getting better for the gas burner than the diesel. Right now, estimating low on the TDI and average for a new gas car, it's mostly a wash. Anything better for the gas car and it already swings in favor of it.

The thing folks forget to (or don't know about) calculate into the cost is that a gallon of diesel has more energy than a gallon of gas. Not that current diesels don't have a lot going against them because of regulations which can make them VERY expensive to fix when they break...
ke4pym

ke4pym to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

said by Dodge:

Seriously please post the make and model of this magic car that can do 38mpg loaded to the gills (I mean it should easily do 45-50mpg with just the driver right?). I really want to know as I have a 95 mile commute and would like to save some gas.

go get a metro geo

Or a Civic. Parent's have an 01 that will do 40 on the high way all day long. With 1 or 2 people that is.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

what the to JoelC707

to JoelC707
Make sure the car you buy can get up to highway speed quickly so she doesn't get creamed by the driver already on the highway going 55-70.
I know they make cars better nowadays, but back in 1981 I drove a Datsun b210 and shitted my pants until I got off the highway, car was to small to mess with the big boys on the road.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Good point, that's one thing I worry about with these 40+ MPG cars. They all have small sub-2L engines in them to achieve that great gas mileage (the 2+L engines still only get low to mid 30s). Fortunately manufacturers are smart enough to put a turbo or something on them (which if you don't bury your foot in the throttle all the time, will usually help with mileage anyway) to help out that problem. If the car is light enough, a small engine is OK but midsize cars or larger just don't do so well with tiny engines.

Funny you mention a b210, I wanna say my parents had one around that same time. Dad was a mechanic at Troncalli Nissan in the 80's and early 90s and had several Datsun and Nissan vehicles.

bigactionpst
@69.118.94.x

bigactionpst

Anon

First off with the get a geo, get a blah blah, they are not in the same class as this 38mpg v6 that we STILL do not get a straight answer on info... also they are not in the same class as what the OP has...

As for the link to the 03 idle issues, lol that's crazy eh, 15mpg in that post (with a problem) to 38mpg... damn.

Post about "diesel has more energy" um, there is nothing to calculate in it already is calculated in, in MPG...

MPG is MPG, idc if diesel had 2000 times the energy, if it was $4 a gallon and got 10mpg vs a gas that was $3 a gallon and got 10mpg...

fail to see how you can forget to calculate in something that is already accounted for? It is not magic boosting those MPG numbers (also has alot to do with, better burn, direct injection with multi stage injection (I may have made that term up) and running from a A/F ratio of 3:1 - 40:1... (or something in that ballpark vs 13.5 or whatever : 1 gas...))

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

that is why on cruse control you will get better mileage the car is more stable at a "fixed speed."

You're joking, right? Cruise control will floor it when going up even small hills and engine brake going down the other side in order to try and maintain the selected speed on the dot. By manually controlling it you can let your speed drop going up and pick back up going down. You can also coast due to traffic much easier when controlling it manually. On flat terrain I can (manually) maintain within 3 mph or so without really thinking about it/concentrating on it, no cruise control needed.

/M
H_T_R_N (banned)
join:2011-12-06
Valencia, PA

2 recommendations

H_T_R_N (banned)

said by mackey:

You're joking, right?

For whatever reason he insists on being obtuse about this. He has made claims that his car is unaffected by the air he is driving through until he gets over 90 MPH or some ridiculous number. He has attempted to get info on this forum to use in an insurance fraud claim against a person that hit him going 5 MPH. He is sure that he is the best driver in the world. He complains that semis have pulled right out in front of him such that he has almost run under the trailer some 40 feet behind the front of the truck, like he didn't have time to see the truck and slow down. He claims that he is a better driver at 40 MPH over any speed limit even 15-20 MPH ones. He will now bitch about me posting this. People have tried to get him to listen, some nice some not. I have quit directing replies to him as I am worried that one day he might snap and off himself. I wish he would just get some help and quit trying to fit in by making shit up.
JoelC707
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

You're joking, right? Cruise control will floor it when going up even small hills and engine brake going down the other side in order to try and maintain the selected speed on the dot. By manually controlling it you can let your speed drop going up and pick back up going down. You can also coast due to traffic much easier when controlling it manually. On flat terrain I can (manually) maintain within 3 mph or so without really thinking about it/concentrating on it, no cruise control needed.

I find it depends more on the set cruise speed and the hill in question. On some state/US highways where the speed limit is 55-60ish, my vehicles exhibit that floor it/engine brake symptom and become VERY annoying. At higher speeds (70-75), it doesn't do it nearly as much. Regardless, I have found that I can usually do a better job myself. I hit the gas before I hit the hill instead of having to floor it halfway up the hill (saves gas) or just let it slow down (also saves gas), and then let it coast and pick up speed on the downhill side.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to mackey

Premium Member

to mackey
said by mackey:

said by Anonymous_:

that is why on cruse control you will get better mileage the car is more stable at a "fixed speed."

/M

my car does not have adaptive cruise control so it accelerates on down hill.

on a 7% grade (downhill) I reached 90mph
On flat Level grade is "instant mpg is 42-54MPG steady w/cruise control with that translates to 35-37MPG real life this assume favorable traffic & weather conditions. like 0MPH wind and low traffic or normal speed traffic.
Anonymous_

2 edits

Anonymous_ to H_T_R_N

Premium Member

to H_T_R_N
said by H_T_R_N:

said by mackey:

You're joking, right?

For whatever reason he insists on being obtuse about this. He has made claims that his car is unaffected by the air he is driving through until he gets over 90 MPH or some ridiculous number. He has attempted to get info on this forum to use in an insurance fraud claim against a person that hit him going 5 MPH. He is sure that he is the best driver in the world. He complains that semis have pulled right out in front of him such that he has almost run under the trailer some 40 feet behind the front of the truck, like he didn't have time to see the truck and slow down. He claims that he is a better driver at 40 MPH over any speed limit even 15-20 MPH ones. He will now bitch about me posting this. People have tried to get him to listen, some nice some not. I have quit directing replies to him as I am worried that one day he might snap and off himself. I wish he would just get some help and quit trying to fit in by making shit up.

If you make a unsecured( i.e no traffic light left or right signal) left or right turn in front of someone it's your automatically at fault. that is just the way it goes. because more then likely you have a stop sign or yield sign.

you should ask this guy who made a left turn and now his insurance rates are going to be so much higher.

»Left turn accident

If I have to brake for you and a cop see that you get a ticket for fail to yield to traffic.

you should go to traffic school that will teach you things you don;t know.

40mph at night is fair since people like j-walking in the middle of the night.

some areas have street light far apart .

I can stop faster at 40mph then the post limit of 45/50/55.

if you really want to know the settlement I made is that I declined getting the car repaired.

Most of the people turning in front of me have tinted front windows which will make darker cars harder to see or they are not paying attention

atbandcamp
@69.118.94.x

atbandcamp to Anonymous_

Anon

to Anonymous_
Adaptive CHANGES with the car infront of you

Properly working cruise on at least everything I've driven... will try maintain set speed within X amount of set speed and if it goes under or over that speed it will disengage... I won't speak for EVERY car ever made... but I know of non that do not downshift in an attempt to slow down. Hell a 91 Camry would do that...

Down hill it WILL downshift to try to reduce speed... and uphill it will downshift... to maintain speed...

I like how this still unconfirmed car now gets 42-54 MPG... and you adjust that to 35-37 based off... idk some hocus pocus. Mean while, you likely are getting 42-54mpg since, gravity is pulling you down hill... and much less fuel is being used... of course on the way up you were likely getting 10mpg... this is why we use an average... like I drove 100 miles and put in 10 gallons... I got 10mpg...

Down hill my s40 showed 99mpg... Ya I don't really claim to be getting 99mpg... flat and level TURBO 4cylinder showed (I never did the math) 24.6-28.4 I want to say...

Also maybe someone else could confirm 'cause this is talking out my ass BUT, seeing as you CHANGED the clusters in the car... ever think you MPG readings are ALSO incorrect because of that? We have no idea still what car it is but... nothing would shock me... like the cluster has a computer doing the math and is basing the numbers off a different car... maybe its a v8 cluster, on a v6 that is calculating MPG incorrectly.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

2 edits

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by atbandcamp :

Adaptive CHANGES with the car infront of you

Properly working cruise on at least everything I've driven... will try maintain set speed within X amount of set speed and if it goes under or over that speed it will disengage... I won't speak for EVERY car ever made... but I know of non that do not downshift in an attempt to slow down. Hell a 91 Camry would do that...

Down hill it WILL downshift to try to reduce speed... and uphill it will downshift... to maintain speed...

I like how this still unconfirmed car now gets 42-54 MPG... and you adjust that to 35-37 based off... idk some hocus pocus. Mean while, you likely are getting 42-54mpg since, gravity is pulling you down hill... and much less fuel is being used... of course on the way up you were likely getting 10mpg... this is why we use an average... like I drove 100 miles and put in 10 gallons... I got 10mpg...

Down hill my s40 showed 99mpg... Ya I don't really claim to be getting 99mpg... flat and level TURBO 4cylinder showed (I never did the math) 24.6-28.4 I want to say...

Also maybe someone else could confirm 'cause this is talking out my ass BUT, seeing as you CHANGED the clusters in the car... ever think you MPG readings are ALSO incorrect because of that? We have no idea still what car it is but... nothing would shock me... like the cluster has a computer doing the math and is basing the numbers off a different car... maybe its a v8 cluster, on a v6 that is calculating MPG incorrectly.

that mileage was for a specific trip of 725 miles

The cluster has nothing to do with it since the calculation is on a overhead cluster which is the original one. the cluster only counts the miles and displays other info which both are controlled by the: ECM or BCM

and what I talking about acceleration is on the down hill the engine does not accelerate tell it hit the set point on the MPH

so if I have it set to 55mph it can reach more then the set point on down hill.

I don;t have "adaptive cruise control" which is only available on the 2014 model I have 2003 which has basic cruise control..

Cruise control auto shuts off when the brake is applied and also can be controlled via manual switch to off.

Cruise control acceleration if necessary can be controlled via button(changes set point) or gas pedal. (does not change set point)

easy 3rd grade calculation

miles divided by gallons of gas bought = MPG
For example :
Jim has a 3 gallon gas tank and went 100 miles, then filled up his tank to full with 3 gallons of gas . what was his mileage

Answer : 33.3 MPG

salzan
Experienced Optimist
Premium Member
join:2004-01-08
WA State

salzan to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

So cruise was set to 85? You keep trying to dig your way out of a hole and it just gets deeper. The only "cruise control" that would do what you're saying is a direct throttle control.

This is all way OT, why don't you just give it up?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by salzan:

said by Anonymous_:

So cruise was set to 85? You keep trying to dig your way out of a hole and it just gets deeper. The only "cruise control" that would do what you're saying is a direct throttle control.

This is all way OT, why don't you just give it up?

nope I don't have it set to 85mph that would be silly .

I only use CC if the area has minimal traffic lights. Like the back roads they have 55mph speed limits these road are straight. I use the mile markers to optimize the use of cc. so i know when to turn it off because a stop sign is coming up or something.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369 to salzan

Premium Member

to salzan
I've hit the high 30's in my Grand Prix 3.8 v6. The most notable even was driving down to Tennessee, if Im not mistaken I made the low 40's. Mind you I drafted the whole way behind a semi doing 55/60 and some light hypermilling.

jackblank
@69.118.94.x

jackblank to Anonymous_

Anon

to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

For example :
Jim has a 3 gallon gas tank and went 100 miles, then filled up his tank to full with 3 gallons of gas . what was his mileage

Answer spoiler)

You need help, you really do, you want to quote me, then spit out my SAME example again and even take the time to HIDE the answer... really wtf is wrong with you?

Comes down to, you came in here, you posted the OP was getting terrible millage for a 4 cylinder @ 28mpg. Something that is wrong... and then proceeded to give your stupid example to back up that incorrect claim. Then rather than like an adult give a decent rebuttal... maybe something like hard numbers, you give us things like my car was so heavy it was closer to the ground my MPG went up... you fail to accept that you gave WRONG info and keep trying to dig yourself out or maybe you KNOW you gave wrong information but rather troll everyone
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
I think the good mpg figures are due to some other car pushing from behind.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to jackblank

Premium Member

to jackblank
said by jackblank :

said by Anonymous_:

For example :

Answer spoiler)

You need help, you really do, you want to quote me, then spit out my SAME example again and even take the time to HIDE the answer... really wtf is wrong with you?

Comes down to, you came in here, you posted the OP was getting terrible millage for a 4 cylinder @ 28mpg. Something that is wrong... and then proceeded to give your stupid example to back up that incorrect claim. Then rather than like an adult give a decent rebuttal... maybe something like hard numbers, you give us things like my car was so heavy it was closer to the ground my MPG went up... you fail to accept that you gave WRONG info and keep trying to dig yourself out or maybe you KNOW you gave wrong information but rather troll everyone

you fail to accept that there is wind = air = drag= more fuel used.

current local Wind conditions:
WSW at 24 mph

gusting to 30 mph

DSL987
join:2000-03-22
Helotes, TX

DSL987 to JoelC707

to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

On average she gets 28 MPG (the best I have ever seen the car get was 30 MPG with about 26 being the worst) and it's one of the best we have in terms of fuel economy. Based on that quick math, she is burning 14-15 gallons of fuel in a 5 day period. She can get 3 round trips to 1/4 tank (from full down to 1/4) which means she fills up basically twice a week.

A simple spreadsheet will tell you.
So roughly 23,000 miles per year. Switching to a car that would average 40mpg versus current 28mpg would save you $863 a year with gas assumed to be $3.50/gallon.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 recommendation

rody_44 to Anonymous_

Premium Member

to Anonymous_
I got over 100 mpg on my full sized ford pick up. I shit you not. I filled it up and went 10 miles. Got towed 90 miles to a gas station where it was repaired. Im guessing its because the front end was lifted up that i got 100 mpg.
System

to JoelC707

Anon

to JoelC707
This topic has been closed. Reason: run its course