how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Castaa

join:2006-11-17
San Francisco, CA

Downloading at maximum bandwidth brings browsing to standstill

While downloading a Steam game in the background, just downloading, not uploading anything, I noticed that all other access to the Internet (via browser, etc) get choked to almost zero bytes per second. I don't know a way to throttle the download speed in Steam.

Is there a way to mitigate this issue via Sonic? Thanks!

Castaa

join:2006-11-17
San Francisco, CA
To answer my own question for Steam downloading at least. One can now limit the download bandwidth it uses in Settings->Download.

This doesn't solve my issue with other downloading sources at max but Steam is my culprit.

foresto

join:2002-04-17
USA

2 edits
reply to Castaa
I've been a sonic customer for years, and never had this problem until some time in the past few months. I realize that a bandwidth-limited connection will feel sluggish when saturated with lots of heavy traffic, but what I'm observing now is new: A single TCP download (like an OS update or a Debian ISO) will cause all outgoing requests to time out. This never happened before.

It is exactly as if some of Sonic's routers have developed a bufferbloat problem. Sadly, the tech I spoke with on the phone didn't know what bufferbloat is, let alone how to recognize it, so I don't know how to bring this to the appropriate person's attention.

It's really quite frustrating.

bigboy

join:2000-12-04
Palo Alto, CA
Actually, I've started noticing this too in the last month or two. Did Sonic changes some things up?

NedLudd
Premium
join:2002-03-29
94117-4164
we are getting random slow/no page loading despite sonic's web page "fusion status" graphs showing no change in download speeds

route246

join:2010-03-29
Santa Clara, CA
reply to Castaa
I see this when downloading MacOS updates. I kill the update, the orange light goes off and everything comes back. It appears to be related to DNS losing look up capability.

Otherwise, no problems at all.

polpo

join:2010-06-17
Cupertino, CA
reply to Castaa
I'm also having this problem, which I first noticed when getting iOS 8 and Mac OS Yosemite. I've cross posted this thread to the forums on Sonic.net so hopefully we can get some insight into this.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
Try going to Member Tools and changing your Line Profile, either set it to Upload or Fastpath (or both if you want) and see if that fixes it. members.sonic.net -> Labs -> Fusion Line Profile.

/M

foresto

join:2002-04-17
USA
reply to Castaa
For anyone else who comes across this thread looking for a solution: This is being discussed in sonic's web forum. It's not fixed yet, but they have made some progress toward a fix.