share rss forum feed

obeythelaw
Premium
join:2003-04-16
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

dashboard iphone 5s mount for car recommendations

I am looking to buy a dashboard mount for my iPhone 5s. I really just want to be able to mount it for the purpose of using GPS and perhaps using the mount so that I can put the phone in the mount and use the speakerphone on it if I were to receive a call (I don't particularly like the bluetooth earpieces.). I don't want one that suctions on glass. At the same time, I don't want something that will ruin my dashboard if I wanted to move it or relocate it. Any thoughts or ideas?

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

How about this:
Kenu Airframe
»www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D90···IZMIWV4O
--
Money can't buy you happiness ... But it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.

lupus

join:2001-08-01
Bellevue, WA

I second the Kenu recommendation.

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
reply to obeythelaw

That looks like something that will definitely work for me! Thanks for the recommendation!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to vukodlak75

Awesome recommendation, going to get that for my hubby to replace is ridiculously overpriced Pro-Clip mount + holder system.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

vukodlak75
Nisam Ti Dude
Premium,MVM
join:2001-10-27
Willoughby, OH

My wife has a pro-clip and holder. It's nice but too expensive. I have the airframe for my jeep.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to obeythelaw

I have a rokform case for my phone that snaps onto my bike. It also has a magnet in it and I bought the corresponding magnet to mount on my dash. Easy to use.

dellsweig
Extreme Aerobatics
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-10
Campbell Hall, NY
kudos:1
reply to obeythelaw

said by obeythelaw:

I am looking to buy a dashboard mount for my iPhone 5s. I really just want to be able to mount it for the purpose of using GPS and perhaps using the mount so that I can put the phone in the mount and use the speakerphone on it if I were to receive a call (I don't particularly like the bluetooth earpieces.). I don't want one that suctions on glass. At the same time, I don't want something that will ruin my dashboard if I wanted to move it or relocate it. Any thoughts or ideas?

Pro Clip - I have been using these in my past three crs - will never use anything else - they install perfectly and last. The mounts are designed for YOUR car - exactly - they fit perfectly - the dont just clip into the ductwork or somewhere else where they will break
--
Nothin' left to do but smile smile smile

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

said by dellsweig:

Pro Clip

I have to second on ProClip. Not cheap if you want mount with integrated charging solution. Will not fit LifeProof (now OtterBox Preserver) case without mod (I know as I have one...). Oh, after two weeks, I did need to snug up a screw but that was due to it being new. All tight and professional looking.

»www.proclipusa.com/

Use Saveten for 10% off
--
Splat

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to obeythelaw

The Kenu arrives today. I'll let you know what hubby thinks of it compared to the ProClip. FWIW, the Kenu was $25 from Amazon on Monday, while the *just* the ProClip holder is $40 + shipping (he already has the mount but that's another $30 if you don't).
--

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ

I also ordered the Kenu. I have't gotten mine yet. Once I do, i will also post my comments here for others.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to obeythelaw

If your car has a CD-player that you never use, this is a nice mount:
»www.amazon.com/Mountek-nGroove-U···04G1L52Q

The downside is it's going to block something, depending on your dash layout. If it's in the normal upright mounting in my car, it blocks my climate controls. I've rotated it upside-down and now it blocks the radio's "screen" and preset buttons. I can live with this though as I can reach the buttons and don't care what station is on.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to obeythelaw

It's TINY (she says in all caps ) -- the box it came in was about 1/4th the size Amazon packed a lightning cable in

Hubby loves it, so much less bulkier than the ProClip set up. Will see how it goes after a week or so of use. So far though, it's easy to place/remove the iPhone and is very stable.
--

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Hall

I have the Mountek too, doesn't block anything on my Santa Fe Sport. On my older Civic it blocked some of the radio controls. I really like the mount.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by kes601:

I have the Mountek too, doesn't block anything on my Santa Fe Sport

Every car model will be different. It doesn't block anything when I have it in my wife's Odyssey but the dash kinda slopes away from the driver/passenger seats and makes it hard to reach.

kes601

join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

said by Hall:

said by kes601:

I have the Mountek too, doesn't block anything on my Santa Fe Sport

Every car model will be different.

Which is why I gave 2 examples....

obeythelaw
Premium
Bayonne, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to obeythelaw

I would recommend the Kenu. It is small and compact. Fits my car vent perfectly and holds it in place very well. Free shipping as well makes it worth it. My only small concern is depending how often it is used, will the spring loaded clip wear out in the near future. For only $25.00 even if it lasts a couple of years, it isn't a bad deal. Although it does look like good quality.

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek
Premium
join:2005-01-13
Orange, CA
reply to obeythelaw

I bought a Kenu after reading this thread, but I'm sorry to say that I think it's a total POS. I have an iphone 4s and when I used the Kenu to hang it in portrait orientation, the first time I hit a bump the phone shot out of the clip like it was greased. Hit me right in the knee . When I tried using it with the phone oriented the other way, the Kenu flew off the air vent and the phone ended up on the floor. Anybody have a recommendation on getting the Kenu to work right or a better unit to replace it?
--
Panic is the new patriotism

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by Rocky67:

or a better unit to replace it?

Mountek

Rocky67
Pencil Neck Geek