Search similar:

uniqs
jsouth
Jsouth
join:2000-12-12
Wichita, KS

jsouth

2002 Impala starting problems

I have a 3.8 liter 2002 Chevy impala that I am having problems with. My interior lights come on and the radio and the gauge lights all come on but I have had 2 instances now where my car will not crank over. I turn the key and there is is nothing. Not even clicking but the lights come on. I had the battery tested but it came back good with 776 cranking amps out of 800. The car will start right up after a few tries after that it runs fine and starts on the 1st try. I don't know what to check.

StephenRC
join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL

2 recommendations

StephenRC

Starter has dead spot, replace it.
jsouth
Jsouth
Wichita, KS

jsouth

Where is it located. I am kind of new with engine repairs also what is a good price for one?

holdthephone
@69.118.94.x

holdthephone

Anon

Please do not blindly replace the starter, if you do not hear a click the relay is likely not being energized, this has nothing to do with the starter...

I would venture a guess it may have to do with anti theft, however I would let someone else chime in on that. I try to stay as far away as possible from those kinda issues so my experience in that area is lacking.

Tex
Dave's not here
Premium Member
join:2012-10-20

Tex to jsouth

Premium Member

to jsouth
I'm thinking ignition switch.

Speaking of ignition switch, have you seen this?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to jsouth

Premium Member

to jsouth
does the security light come on?

if so bad key or or faulty ignition cylinder.

is the key worn out?

does everything just go dead? its a bad key or faulty ignition cylinder.

I'd get another key cheapest to replace first.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd to jsouth

Premium Member

to jsouth
First thing is to clean the battery terminals.
Check the ground strap/cable for tightness.
Check the neutral safety switch.
Check the brake switch.
Try a different key.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_

Premium Member

keys are fairly cheap at the dealer it's only 12$

I highly recommend get it at the dealer since they can make a perfect new key

FuriousG
join:2002-08-21
Kenora, ON

FuriousG

Key won't help any, 02 should be passlock. That said, passlock could be your issue. After attempting a start, leave the key on... does the lock symbol remain on or flash?
aguen
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR

aguen to jsouth

Premium Member

to jsouth
Auto transmission? Make sure shift lever is truly in Park. Try neutral position also next time it does this.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

Anonymous_ to jsouth

Premium Member

to jsouth
now my car is not starting same shit says the battery is low but it's not I checked the Volt meter on the cluster it's "ok range"

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· youtu.be

howudoit
@69.118.94.x

howudoit

Anon

Guessing you had a helper either try to start the car or use the volt meter? Seeing as a surface charge means nothing, load is what matters...

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

said by howudoit :

Guessing you had a helper either try to start the car or use the volt meter? Seeing as a surface charge means nothing, load is what matters...

meter does not move when moved to the start position the battery is less then a year old

I waited for the headlight to turn off then it started with no hesitation

I'm just going to shut off the fob lights setting

Also the voltmeter is on the cluster I have a factory OEM 6 gauge cluster
it came out of a Monte Carlo with the same mileage as my car so I bought it.

The only difference between my cluster and that one is there is no red bowie and limited edition.
jsouth
Jsouth
Wichita, KS

jsouth to Anonymous_

to Anonymous_
No security light. Just the normal start up lights. When you turn the key you get nothing. just lights. there is no click when you turn. you do hear something running then stopping. Problem is intermittent too. It happened last Thurs. morning and just yesterday afternoon when I got off work. The MAF, Water Pump and Alternator have all been replaced before in this vehicle.
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

daveinpoway to holdthephone

Premium Member

to holdthephone
On my Toyota Camry, it would sometimes not start; there was no click, but the starter was the problem- the shop found some internal defects.

Since I had it rebuilt, everything has worked perfectly.

Buying a rebuilt starter at Pep Boys, etc. would have been less expensive, but the quality might not have been there. I felt more confident rebuilding my old starter at a local automotive electric shop.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member

1 edit

Anonymous_

Premium Member

My Movie3.mp4.zip
4,742,410 bytes
for me it happens occasionally once per month.. plus it has something to do with the relay that turns off the powered items before start up.

since the items were not shutting off when I turned the key that means there maybe a issue with the thing that controls this stuff.

made a little video

you can hear the music shut off when started for a moment

this does not happen when it cant start

fuelpumpz
@69.118.94.x

fuelpumpz to jsouth

Anon

to jsouth
said by jsouth:

No security light. Just the normal start up lights. When you turn the key you get nothing. just lights. there is no click when you turn. you do hear something running then stopping.

That should be the fuel pump... normal...