how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

reub2000
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Evanston, IL

Who makes the most sane UEFI implementation?

I have a gateway computer. It seems like entries randomly disappear from the firmware. It would be nice if it showed me a command prompt when it failed to boot. The case appears to be a Micro-ATX case. Which motherboard manufacturer has a UEFI implementation that seems to work?

Darkfire
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Houston, TX

I only have experience with Asus as of now but they're rock solid about their UEFI and they're always making revisions.

Freddy
Premium
join:2005-05-17
Arlington, VA
kudos:2
reply to reub2000

reub2000,

If you're running Windows 8, you likely need to boot to a Windows 8 recovery disc or to a recovery USB device to get advanced boot options, including Command Prompt, Safe Mode, etc.. The following post provides information about how to establish a Windows 8 emergency boot disc or USB device:

»How I Made Bootable Flash Drive Windows 8.1.1

If you're not using Win8, then this instruction doesn't apply.

Freddy

reub2000
Premium
Evanston, IL

1 edit

I am using Sabayan at the moment. I am very sure that my issues have to do with my motherboard.

And yes I have tried many things from reinstalling to playing around with efibootmgr.

reub2000
Premium
Evanston, IL
reply to Darkfire

Cool I've just ordered a P8B75. Cross my fingers and hope this works. I've had good experiences with ASUS motherboards in the past.

reub2000
Premium
Evanston, IL
reply to reub2000

Click for full size
How do I remove this heatsink? I unscrewed the 4 screws and it's still firmly attached.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
reply to reub2000

May have some "cooked" on thermal compound acting like glue. If you haven't already, can you completely remove the fan from the heatsink and then take another picture looking straight down over the top of the heatsink. We may be able to see if there are maybe some additional clamps or whatever.
--
Stupid people shouldn't be allowed to breathe

reub2000
Premium
Evanston, IL

1 edit

Click for full size
Doesn't look like there are any clamps under the fan. Do I just force it off? Will that damage the i5 underneath?

It seems to be attached to something on the back of the motherboard.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

As long as those four corner (corners on a circle?) screws then you should be able to pull it off. If the the TIM is hardened, you can try to use a little 99% isopropyl alcohol dripped around the edges of the center solid circle (where the fins start at the center). That should loosen it up a little.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo
»www.chaoticconfused.com

reub2000
Premium
Evanston, IL

1 edit

Just had to twist it a bit. Now it's put together. I press the power button and the fans spin for a half a second before it turns off. Did I forget something?

ETA: The 4 pin power connector for the CPU. That's what I forgot. Everything seems to work now.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to reub2000

It's hard to see from your photos.

However, you should be sure that the mounting screws clear the mounting posts completely. No contact between the screws and posts would be ideal. If the thermal interface material is causing some kind of surface weld, I have found that a "slight" twisting motion when lifting can break the seal safely. Naturally you shouldn't use excessive force though.

Intel processors with heat spreaders (as well as AMD processors with heat spreaders) are typically safe to use this technique on.

reub2000
Premium
Evanston, IL

said by Octavean:

Intel processors with heat spreaders (as well as AMD processors with heat spreaders) are typically safe to use this technique on.

I think this only happens to processors with heat spreaders. I don't remember ever having this problem with an Athlon XP.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1

said by reub2000:

said by Octavean:

I think this only happens to processors with heat spreaders. I don't remember ever having this problem with an Athlon XP.

The increased surface area of the heat spreader vs the smaller bare core would seem to increase the chances of this happening with the heat spreader. Still I recall seeing some pictures of a core being stuck to the HSF assembly likely due in part to the gummy TIM. To be clear the core was attached to the HSF but not the processor package.

Processors that don't have the retention clamp system of typical LGA processors can be pulled right out of the ZIF sockets.

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

said by Octavean:

Still I recall seeing some pictures of a core being stuck to the HSF assembly likely due in part to the gummy TIM. To be clear the core was attached to the HSF but not the processor package.

As in, the core separated? No longer part of the part that goes on the motherboard? YIKES!
--
Tom
Tom's Tech Blog

Ben There

@24.239.41.x
reply to reub2000

Before you put the heatsink/fan back on the processor, did you remove the old thermal material and replace it with thermal paste/ a new thermal pad? If not, it probably is not making sufficient contact with the processor.

reub2000
Premium
Evanston, IL

I did not forget that step.