uniqs
Acct101
Premium Member
join:2011-09-20
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

[Content] RFD-TV: Limited Bandwidth

i caught this article yesterday and found it interesting that there was mention of limited bandwidth. So does this mean, with Comcast, the largest cable provider in the USA, that we should not expect upgrades in channel content and get our focus to having to embrace on demand content?

I'm disappointed, because I really like Comcast. I miss seeing my sports packages in HD. I realize there are other options in this regard, I don't like streaming video as at times it gets choppy. I don't like having to click off cable and clicking on apps to get at that content. I'm a person who likes switching channels during commercials from baseball to watching CNN. With streaming, this is not easily accomplished.

»www.broadcastingcable.co ··· t/132747

SeattleMatt
Streaming Tech Director
Premium Member
join:2001-12-28
Seattle, WA

SeattleMatt

Premium Member

[Content] Re: RFD-TV: Limited Bandwidth

Not surprising, really.

When you compare Comcast to FIOS (for example) - Verizon has much more to allocate to TV and HD just due to the infrastructure.

8 to 16 (and now possibly) 24 QAM's that are used for Downstream internet
3 QAM's for Upstream internet

Not sure how many QAM's are used for VOD - but heard it's at least 4-6 (someone can definitely correct me)

So, add up all of those #'s, and you get how many more QAM's FIOS has to give to TV, since Internet and VOD are all streamed on a separate fiber wavelength.

Plus, FIOS is set to use all 860MHz - many Comcast systems in our area are all 750..

As you know I gave up on Comcast, not b/c they suck or anything, but I want HD channels. We watch VOD maybe once a week if that.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Acct101

to Acct101
too bad you are in Philly as directv is so much better.
Acct101
Premium Member
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

Jeep can get DirecTv. I can't become of trees blocking the transmission.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678

also comcrap has played games so dish and directv do not have csn Philly or tcn Philly
Acct101
Premium Member
Bensalem, PA

Acct101

Premium Member

So do you care to watch the Phillies or 76"ers?

Besides you have better teams in Chicago.
I get what you are saying. I thought the courts forced them to show it a few years back?

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to SeattleMatt

MVM

to SeattleMatt
Jeep, yeah 8 to maybe up to 24 QAM's for Internet now.
At least 8 QAMs for VOD.
Upstream does not use QAM as its all in the 8-42 MHz range. Maybe in the future if systems are upgraded to mid split (that would reallocate RF channels 2 through 6 for upstream). But to do that means a visit to every single node, amplifier and line extender. While they are in each one, might as well upgrade it to 1 GHz then.

Your right though that many Comcast systems are 750.

So with Fios your at 860 and all of your Internet and VOD come over in another wavelength that is transferred to Ethernet or Moca (850 to 1525 MHz).

And as you know little private companies are more agile to move. Like your hometown in Sunbury, or where I live in Reading Suburbs... Service Electric is 860 MHz AND they have RFD TV HD. Though I'm really surprised they carry that over Oxygen and TVGN (HD or SD). One persons trash is another persons treasure I guess.

Though some big players like Cox have done 1 GHz upgrades. They could still use Moca channels in 1.1 GHz - 1.5 GHz for whole home DVR. Or you could use SDV like TWC / Brighthouse, and pretty much offer any HD channel under the sun.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

said by cypherstream:

Jeep, yeah 8 to maybe up to 24 QAM's for Internet now.
At least 8 QAMs for VOD.
Upstream does not use QAM as its all in the 8-42 MHz range. Maybe in the future if systems are upgraded to mid split (that would reallocate RF channels 2 through 6 for upstream). But to do that means a visit to every single node, amplifier and line extender. While they are in each one, might as well upgrade it to 1 GHz then.

Your right though that many Comcast systems are 750.

So with Fios your at 860 and all of your Internet and VOD come over in another wavelength that is transferred to Ethernet or Moca (850 to 1525 MHz).

And as you know little private companies are more agile to move. Like your hometown in Sunbury, or where I live in Reading Suburbs... Service Electric is 860 MHz AND they have RFD TV HD. Though I'm really surprised they carry that over Oxygen and TVGN (HD or SD). One persons trash is another persons treasure I guess.

Though some big players like Cox have done 1 GHz upgrades. They could still use Moca channels in 1.1 GHz - 1.5 GHz for whole home DVR. Or you could use SDV like TWC / Brighthouse, and pretty much offer any HD channel under the sun.

SDV + 860MHz and all digital would seem to be the best bet lol! without a rebuild.

TWC here has 58 analogs, 20 SDV QAMs, 8 DOCSIS QAMs, 8 VOD QAMs, 21 QAMs dedicated to non-SDV HD channels and some other QAMs for video channels that are not SDV. all on a 860MHz system