share rss forum feed

Hard Harry

join:2010-10-19
Narragansett, RI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Cox HSI

[RI] Milk store vs Convenience store

Recently while talking to a friend I said we should "Go to the milk store to grab some things" and they gave me a very odd look. Seems "Milk store" is a local-ism of some kind for convenience or corner store. My question is it a RI thing? A New England thing? I grew up in Cumberland MA but lived adult life in RI. Where did I pick up this phrase I wonder? Thoughts?

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
I grew up in central MA and have lived for 15 years in metro Boston and I don't believe I've ever heard "milk store."
--
My music blog

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Hard Harry
I grew up in Putnam, CT long ago and never heard that expression but there were no convenience stores then. I have relatives in Foster Center/Foster, RI and never heard them use that expression either.

But I use to go surfing in Narragansett when I was a teen.

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
reply to Hard Harry
My guess would be that its some form of localism for convenience store, much the same way that bodega seems to be a localism as well. Keep in mind I am only guessing here.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Hard Harry
I never head it used in central or Metrowest MA nor in southern NH or far north VT or the capitol district in NY.
As a young kid in central MA there were places we called a spa. Pre-convenience stores that also had a soda counter. A place for me to pick up baseball cards, candy and comic books on the way to school.

And if I can hijack this thread, what did youse people call the school with grades k-6? Elementary school or grammer school?

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
We called the schools elementary school, middle school, and high school.
--
My music blog

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to vaxvms
When I went grade 5 to 8 were grammar school.

When my daughter was in school, grades 7 to 8 were Junior High. Although when she was ready for Junior High, the town we were living in closed all the Junior High to save money. And 8th grade was moved to High School. Worse mistake ever - it only lasted for 2 years.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by sashwa:

When I went grade 7 to 8 were grammer school.

Not malicious, but meant as a malaprop, maybe...

If you went to grammar school, you'd know it was spelled "Grammar"
--
Since retirement, I've attained a PHD in DVR!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I thought that was how it was spelt but vaxs spelt it grammer. I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I was struck how there were two ways to indicate it;

1: If you went to grammar school, you'd have seen it spelled "grammar"

or

2:The study of "grammar" itself.. (although grammar doesn't indicate spelling, but usage and syntax..
--
Since retirement, I've attained a PHD in DVR!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown

1 recommendation

reply to sashwa
I never did good in English class.
7-9 was Jr High in central MA when I went to school.
--
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
Most districts around where I am: K-6 is elementary, 7&8 is Middle (or Jr. High) School, 9-12 is High School.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Hard Harry
There's a milk store (mart) in Windsor, Ct. We got skewls too

»www.yelp.com/biz/milk-mart-food-···-windsor

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

MsTerra
Callipygian
Premium
join:2002-08-20
Nerdvana
kudos:2
reply to Hard Harry
"Milk store" - not something we said when I was growing up in western MA 30-40 years ago. Definitely not a thing in the Boston area for the years I've been here.

We had elementary school through 6th grade, 7th and 8th were junior high, and 9th through 12th was high school. In the town where I grew up, the junior high is called a middle school now.
--
Jell-O is back! Check out The New Joy of Jell-0 Project...

capecoddah

join:2005-03-18
Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Hard Harry
Sounds like "A Rho D'ilan thing". Ask Don Bousquet.

Pre convenience store days, we went to the Village Store (Villy). Before that we had milk delivered.
Now I go to Peterson's. No Quicki-Marts in the village. From work we go to Cumbies. Actually, I can't remember the last time anyone at work asked me where to get milk. Closest liquor store was Monday.

Elementary, Middle, High, 4Cs.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric

4 edits
reply to orion940
said by orion940:

There's a milk store (mart) in Windsor, Ct. We got skewls too

»www.yelp.com/biz/milk-mart-food-···-windsor

O.

Ah the treasures of good Ol' Windsor Towne:

Windsor has a pizza place in a 60s era glass and fiberglass box style architecture former McDonalds. The new owner salvaged the old capital "M" McDonalds yellow plastic logo letters and flipped them upside down on the building's multiple lower exterior panels for "W" as in, Wilson's Pizza. Put a large smile on my face just walking in and seeing that. Then -- their dough was fresh made that morning. No frozen - no pop up -- FRESH. One of the best pizzas I ever had. Sub rolls baked from fresh too. Heaven in a pizza joint.
Haven't been back since '03. Hope they continue the fresh dough practice.

'Round here all we get is frozen dough pizza. Kind of like buying a frozen pizza from the super market and paying an extra $8 for your trouble to have the pizza joint cook it.

See also - Frozen vs. fresh = sun baked beer drenched pot seed infested 8 track tape vs. brand new the kids have not yet used it for a rock polisher implement DVD audio quality.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Hard Harry
Back in the 70's and possibly the early 80's, We had a drive-thru milk store in Hayward, CA. They sold milk, eggs, and bread. Prices were compatible with the grocery chains and you could zip in and out because they were seldom very busy. It was nice when you were in a hurry.

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
I would think a place that does drive through newspapers, smokes, soda, coffee, and simple sandwiches would be killer. I would have to believe someone has tried it before, so maybe there are problems. I would guess the window area would have to be built around a quick access to product model as opposed to running to shelves.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
They didn't have a drive-up window. The clerk would walk up to your window and they only sold milk, eggs, and bread. I think it was runned and owned by a local dairy farm family.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Grumpy
They had places like that around the Tampa area that were little narrow places, the guy didnt leave the register/window for anything. Everything was within reach. Milk, soda, papers (news, rolling, etc), cigs. Always a line.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter

1 recommendation

reply to Hard Harry
This was the milk store when I was a kid. On hot summer days the driver would give us a sliver of ice from the blocks that kept the milk cold.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
I remember those days. And in the winter the cream on top of the milk would start to freeze and pop up the cap of the bottle up.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Hard Harry
What was the horse's name?

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Cape

Grumpy
Premium
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to Hard Harry
My grandfather's milk wagon.

When I showed this to the town historian, he said:
"The driver's name is Theo -----. That must have been the day he took a bath."

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to sashwa
said by sashwa:

I remember those days. And in the winter the cream on top of the milk would start to freeze and pop up the PAPER cap of the bottle up.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
Ooops. I know that but I guess the youngins here wouldn't know. Thanks for clarifying.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
Wormtown
That's OK. One becomes forgetful when they're not a youngin.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
Alcatraz
You can say that again.

capecoddah

Yarmouth Port, MA
reply to Hard Harry
MOM's father had a Dairy in Anderson, IN. Depression Era.
She used to help deliver milk on the way to the One Room Country School.
I've heard this story more than once. Uphill. Both ways. In the snow.

We have a small collection of milk bottles and milk boxes.

When I was Very Young, the Hood man, Mr. Bell, would deliver moo to the back door.

I don't see milk trucks in my neighborhood, I see water trucks. Stupid City People! We have some of the best tap water!

MOO!