Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Hard Harry

Re: [RI] Milk store vs Convenience store

In New Milford CT, we had Tollgate Dairy delivering milk. I remember using the inner tabs for art work. The guy came a couple days a week. We also had the bread man, but I forget the brand. I was in a very rural area and we got delivery twice/three times a week.

»www.connecticutbarns.org/index.cgi/11484

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the Decorative Zamboni

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1
reply to Hard Harry
I remember the old Milk Delivery service in Norwalk we had when I was a kid... It was then called "Clover Farms", and had delivery trucks with a Cow's head on the front, and a "MOOOO" horn that the driver would use every time he passed by us kids...
Now it's known as "Stew Leonards" - It's on the Ripley's Believe-it-or-not register as the Largest Dairy store in the Nation...

»www.stewleonards.com/about-us/company-story

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast
Our milk was delivered by Deary Brothers. They also had an ice cream stand during the summers that was a teen hangout. After I grew up and moved away, they also opened a restaurant in downtown Putnam.

»cf.telegram.com/submissions/blog···illtowns

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Hard Harry
This is a plastic bank of the bread truck that stopped at our house.

Grumpy
Premium
join:2001-07-28
NW CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
·AT&T Yahoo
·Callcentric
reply to Hard Harry
Born in '57 with not a lot to do indoors, I would ride the milk truck once a week for something to do, and as a source of adventure. Ice was still in use for reefers on small delivery vehicles were not yet in use.

I recall one stop where the 20s something delivery guy would spend quite a long time indoors while I waited in the truck. Although of a tender age that didn't create any thoughts of what was going on inside, I imagined years later there was a "value added" delivery going on there.

FFJOHNL312
Premium
join:2007-12-16
Pawtucket, RI
reply to Hard Harry
If you had said 'packie' they would know what that was.

jtel

join:2005-06-28
Bristol, RI
Reviews:
·Full Channel TV ..
reply to capecoddah
said by capecoddah:

Sounds like "A Rho D'ilan thing". Ask Don Bousquet.

I'm board and bred in RI and it's not a RI thing.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Hard Harry
Grew up and lived in Danbury, CT for 27 years and most people called a convenience store a 7-11 since they dominated the region... Or after a certain show that started in the late 80s, I knew lots of people that just called it the "Kwik-E-Mart"
--
Filan - Aurin Spellslinger - Pago - Team Legacy

Madness
Like a flea circus at a dog show

join:2000-01-05
Quincy, MA
reply to Hard Harry
I've never heard the expression, "milk store." Growing up in Southie, I once called such a place, a corner store (since it was literally). Today, I just call it what it is: Tedeschi or 7-11.
--
If I didn't spill the milk, I can't cry over it!

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

As a young kid in central MA there were places we called a spa.

Still used in signage & business names above the entries to small stores embedded in the old Boston area neighborhoods. Not so much in the spoken realm. I migrated to NE from Michigan in the late '70s and recall scratching my head over how a store got dubbed spa. What, exactly, occurs or used to occur, in the back rooms?, me wondered.

As to schools in the upper midwest (that's all of MN,WI,MI + upper halves of IA,IL,IN,OH) there was a clear distinction between Junior High & Middle School: the latter name emerged when educators decided 6th graders were too old for elementary school and so got tossed-up to join the 7th & 8th grades. Even in casual speech the two terms were specific and never had to be qualified.