spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Learux

join:2001-10-23
Valencia, CA

Uverse and cable in the same house possible?

I need additional internet in my house, too many kids bogging down the line. Not to mention the latency increase when gaming.

I would like to add cable internet to my house. The uverse installation needs to stay untouched.

My understanding is that uverse comes in trough phone line and somewhere in the house it changes to coax.

When I get TWC to come out, can they add the service to the existing line (running uverse and cable internet over same piece of coax).

Thanks in advance.

Mr Fel
Premium
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·AT&T DSL Service

1 edit

Directly from the HPNA website.

Q: Is HomePNA networking compatible with other technologies such as wireless, DSL, cable modem, and satellite?

A: A key objective of HomePNA is to coexist with all available and emerging home Internet access solutions. HomePNA 3.1 can coexist with analog telephone service (POT, ISDN, ADSL). It also coexists with VDSL, broadcast television channels, and satellite services over coax. HomePNA 3.1 does not, however, coexist with DOCSIS. When installing a cable modem in the same home as HomePNA 3.1, the cable modem should be isolated on a separate coax "drop". DOCSIS is not present in many parts of the world where HomePNA is being deployed over coax.

So no, DOCSIS and UVerse can not exist on the same coax. Why not just have the cable installer run you a brand new coax homerun however?
--
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. - Arthur Clarke

rolande
Certifiable
Premium,Mod
join:2002-05-24
Dallas, TX
kudos:6
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·ViaTalk
reply to Learux

said by Learux:

I need additional internet in my house, too many kids bogging down the line.

What speed tier are you on? Is it Power Tier 45Mbps? I've got 45Meg and it works pretty well with my 2 older bandwidth hogs who are on Facetime and Instagram all day, even when I'm working from home and my wife is on the computer and my younger two kids are streaming Netflix.

If you don't have 45Meg, you should at least try it if you can. The other possibility is that you are really dealing with wireless congestion. Adding another provider won't necessarily solve that problem.
--
Scott, CCIE #14618 Routing & Switching
»rolande.wordpress.com/

Learux

join:2001-10-23
Valencia, CA
reply to Learux

What does it mean to run an extra homerun?

Mr Fel
Premium
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY

Have the cable installer run a brand new coax just for the cable internet.

Sandpipers

join:2007-11-12
San Francisco, CA
reply to Learux

said by Learux:

My understanding is that uverse comes in trough phone line and somewhere in the house it changes to coax.

Are you sure about that? My uverse (internet and TV) does not use any part of the coax in my house.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to Learux

I have UVerse coax and for redundancy (not capacity) I also have Comcast coax. I had Comcast first and ATT installed new coax for UVerse.
Works fine.
The ATT installer even installed two port wall plates at the TVs.
Since I no longer have Comcast TV service the Comcast coax to the TVs is not used any more but it could be with the addition of a cable box or two and a subscription to the Comcast TV service.

JimThePCGuy
Formerly known as schja01.
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-27
Morton Grove, IL
reply to Learux

said by Learux:

Yep. It changes at the RG to HPNA (coax). It could just as easily change to Ethernet or HPNA (twisted Pair).