Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Hard Harry

Re: [RI] Milk store vs Convenience store

I never head it used in central or Metrowest MA nor in southern NH or far north VT or the capitol district in NY.
As a young kid in central MA there were places we called a spa. Pre-convenience stores that also had a soda counter. A place for me to pick up baseball cards, candy and comic books on the way to school.

And if I can hijack this thread, what did youse people call the school with grades k-6? Elementary school or grammer school?

Sarah
Premium,ExMod 2002-05
join:2001-01-09
New York, NY
kudos:6
We called the schools elementary school, middle school, and high school.
--
My music blog

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits
reply to vaxvms
When I went grade 5 to 8 were grammar school.

When my daughter was in school, grades 7 to 8 were Junior High. Although when she was ready for Junior High, the town we were living in closed all the Junior High to save money. And 8th grade was moved to High School. Worse mistake ever - it only lasted for 2 years.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by sashwa:

When I went grade 7 to 8 were grammer school.

Not malicious, but meant as a malaprop, maybe...

If you went to grammar school, you'd know it was spelled "Grammar"
--
Since retirement, I've attained a PHD in DVR!

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

I thought that was how it was spelt but vaxs spelt it grammer. I didn't want to hurt his feelings.

miataman

join:2010-10-27
Chelmsford, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
I was struck how there were two ways to indicate it;

1: If you went to grammar school, you'd have seen it spelled "grammar"

or

2:The study of "grammar" itself.. (although grammar doesn't indicate spelling, but usage and syntax..
--
Since retirement, I've attained a PHD in DVR!

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to sashwa
I never did good in English class.
7-9 was Jr High in central MA when I went to school.
--
Ask me no questions, I'll tell you no lies

wolfy339

join:2005-04-30
Edmonds, WA
Most districts around where I am: K-6 is elementary, 7&8 is Middle (or Jr. High) School, 9-12 is High School.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to vaxvms
said by vaxvms:

As a young kid in central MA there were places we called a spa.

Still used in signage & business names above the entries to small stores embedded in the old Boston area neighborhoods. Not so much in the spoken realm. I migrated to NE from Michigan in the late '70s and recall scratching my head over how a store got dubbed spa. What, exactly, occurs or used to occur, in the back rooms?, me wondered.

As to schools in the upper midwest (that's all of MN,WI,MI + upper halves of IA,IL,IN,OH) there was a clear distinction between Junior High & Middle School: the latter name emerged when educators decided 6th graders were too old for elementary school and so got tossed-up to join the 7th & 8th grades. Even in casual speech the two terms were specific and never had to be qualified.