join:2011-07-28
Livermore, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

[CustSvc] Comcast Confessions: why the cable guy is always late

Click for full size
»www.theverge.com/2014/8/4/596025···ays-late
More than 100 Comcast employees spoke to The Verge about life inside the nation’s largest cable and broadband company

The Verge interviewed more than 100 Comcast employees in an effort to explain the company’s lousy reputation. This second installment focuses on Comcast’s technicians and tech-support staff but I highly recommend you read their first one as well about Comcasts pursuit of ever greater sales (»www.theverge.com/2014/7/28/59369···les-call)

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY

[CustSvc] Re: Comcast Confessions: why the cable guy is always late

Comcast.....Are you listening??? crickets

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 recommendations

said by YukonHawk:

Comcast.....Are you listening???

They are listening, and listening very closely.

However, the root problem that needs to be solved is not that Comcast has bad customer service. The root problem that needs to be solved is that Comcast is satisfied with the profit level they see as a result of the money they currently spend on customer service.

In other words, Comcast sees no need to increase the quality of their customer service because Comcast views customer service as an expense that needs to be minimized. Comcast has figured in customer churn due to bad customer service, compared the cost of bettering customer service against the cost of acquiring new customers to replace the ones who leave, and decided that the current customer service expenditure level is appropriate for Comcast's business goals.

More enlightened companies view customer service as an investment for future revenue. More enlightened companies know that happy customers spend more money with the company. Comcast is not an enlightened company.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

2 recommendations

I had a fascinating conversation with my sister. Our mother died about a year and a half ago, leaving some real property, and a stipulation that the property be sold, and the proceeds divided equally among the heirs.

The house mom had been resident in had DSL Internet; Sonic.net "Fusion". Sis kept it active while clearing out forty years of collected mementos, treasures, and such. When the time came to turn it over to the new owners, canceling the Internet/phone service was as simple as a phone call to Sonic.net; no fuss. Sis says the Sonic.net CSR was polite, helpful, and competent.

The rental was a different matter. It required some fixing up, so sis and BiL moved in to ramrod upgrades. BiL works from home, so Internet was a must. Sonic.net "Fusion" was not available, and AT&T only offered 384k ADSL there. Sis has Comcast at home, so she signed up Comcast at the rental. When the time came to turn the place over to the buyer, the fun began. Unlike Ryan Block, Sis told the CSR why she needed to close the account: Despite that she was giving up possession of the house, the CSR sent her to retention to try for the, "SAVE!" She tried to convince them that it wasn't dissatisfaction, or the like, even that she was very happy with her service back at home. They finally relented, and provided the materials and labels to return the modem. But wait! It didn't stop there! The cancellation confirmation referenced her home account in Oregon! She called them in a serious panic; they were closing the wrong account!

Comcast is not merely benighted, they are downright incompetent!
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by NormanS:

It is as if Comcast is researching new ways to excel at horrendous customer support.

One needs to wonder why Comcast c-level executives give constant lip service to quality customer service, yet the dictum never seems to travel beyond the press releases.....

YukonHawk

join:2001-01-07
Patterson, NY
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

Exactly! 'nuff said!

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to camper

said by camper:

More enlightened companies view customer service as an investment for future revenue. More enlightened companies know that happy customers spend more money with the company.

But they still manage to turn a tidy profit and grow bigger and bigger every year. Must be a lesson in there somewhere.

All I know is that the Comcast Empire puts the Ferengi Alliance to shame. Now where did I put my leather bound copy of The Rules of Acquisition?
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

camper
Premium
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by NetFixer:

Must be a lesson in there somewhere.

Yup.

Two lessons:

•Government-sanctioned monopolies and duopolies rule
•Money spent on lobbyists has a greater ROI than money spent on customer service

Geot

@24.155.16.x
reply to NetFixer

I am surprised they could find 100 Comcast employees. Comcast out sources virtually everything, routinely using 4+ vendors for the same function, with those delivering the service at the lowest cost getting a bigger piece of the pie.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

Take it you dont really know comcast. Employees way outnumber vendors. To the tune of about 20 to 1. They have 136,000 employees. Comcast outsources overflow work.

CT_Anon

@108.204.138.x
reply to Geot

Up until last year I worked there and everything in the story seems spot on. I was a comtech. CT3a.

Sales started off as an extra thing. If you made a sale great, they paid you some extra cash. If not no big deal.. your not in the sales department.

Then it became part of your metrics but didn't count on your review. I was like a bonus points thing.

Then it started counting on your review and they counted it alongside things like repeats, late/missed,market health, etc... and they kept ramping up the goals. You had to turn every TC in to a sales visit.

Your whole life at comcast is metrics. The numbers are the only thing that matter.

Being late to an appoint kills your numbers.. someone has to pay the $20. So guys started calling in the 800# and pretending to be the custumer canceling the appt if they where running late lol.

Guys who where worried about their repeat rates would swing back to fix things off clock or lie/say anything to make it to the 31days.

If they where short on RGU's (sales) they would "slam" old/slow peoples accounts.

For a while the "customer survey" would come in as soon as you closed the WO. So guys would plug their buttset in to the EMTA and close the WO and snag the survey call.

Comcast has crap customer service because they made it all about the numbers and not the customer. You can't keep beating your employee's with a stick and expect them to give a crap about anything other then avoiding the stick.

fonzbear2000
Premium
join:2005-08-09
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

reply to camper

said by camper:

said by YukonHawk:

Comcast.....Are you listening???

They are listening, and listening very closely.

However, the root problem that needs to be solved is not that Comcast has bad customer service. The root problem that needs to be solved is that Comcast is satisfied with the profit level they see as a result of the money they currently spend on customer service.

Meanwhile, their CEO who is probably a multi-billionaire and could help out his own pocket by now keeps getting richer and richer.
--
I love my autistic brother so much!

jm101

join:2011-07-17
Oakland, CA

1 edit
reply to egeek84

Re: [CustSvc] Comcast Confessions: why the cable guy is always late

Comcast generally has terrible customer service. One of the reasons why I didn't mind Comcast for a while was because the tech support and even sales were somewhat local. Of course that went away. »www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news···all.html

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to NormanS

Re: [CustSvc] Re: Comcast Confessions: why the cable guy is always late

said by NormanS:

When the time came to turn the place over to the buyer, the fun began. Unlike Ryan Block, Sis told the CSR why she needed to close the account: Despite that she was giving up possession of the house, the CSR sent her to retention to try for the, "SAVE!" She tried to convince them that it wasn't dissatisfaction, or the like, even that she was very happy with her service back at home. They finally relented, and provided the materials and labels to return the modem. But wait! It didn't stop there! The cancellation confirmation referenced her home account in Oregon! She called them in a serious panic; they were closing the wrong account!

Weird. I just recently moved. Had comcast at the old address for years, got service at new address (including truck roll, pulling a new drop from the pole, etc.) and had both services up for for a couple weeks, including rental of a cable box for the dual time (I own one, which eventually moved.)

Getting it all set up, getting tech out in the window I was promised, getting the old account shut down... all seamless, all without error, all as simple as making a phone call.

Comcast has always been reasonably easy to work with here, anyway.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to camper

said by camper:

It is as if Comcast is researching new ways to excel at horrendous customer support.

It's not "as if" -- Comcast IS finding new ways to provide horrendous customer service. I suppose it's good to have a goal :-(. Many, if not most, companies know that providing good customer service is the backbone of their livelihood. Then there is Comcast.

I got a chuckle out of the article referencing the CAEs now asking for one's account number to have access to the account when (supposedly) it is NOT needed for troubleshooting. Had that happen to me a month ago. By sheer screaming "no !" and "do NOT touch anything on my account" did I escape getting crammed with phone service. The kindly (??) agent said he'd set me up with a "really fast modem that you can even plug your phone into. Don't you want to plug your phone into a modem?" Arghhh.

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

Weird. I just recently moved. Had comcast at the old address for years, got service at new address (including truck roll, pulling a new drop from the pole, etc.) and had both services up for for a couple weeks, including rental of a cable box for the dual time (I own one, which eventually moved.)

Getting it all set up, getting tech out in the window I was promised, getting the old account shut down... all seamless, all without error, all as simple as making a phone call.

NOT the same thing. The person you replied to was canceling the account because she was not going to live their anymore so Comcast tried to "save" the account.

You, on the other hand, are still going to pay your bill just from a different address.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 recommendations

reply to Furrever Fur

said by Furrever Fur:

I got a chuckle out of the article referencing the CAEs now asking for one's account number to have access to the account when (supposedly) it is NOT needed for troubleshooting. Had that happen to me a month ago. By sheer screaming "no !" and "do NOT touch anything on my account" did I escape getting crammed with phone service.

The concept of "every employee is a salesperson" is not new, nor is it exclusive to Comcast; and it is one of the reasons I pulled the ripcord on my corporate golden parachute two decades ago. I had worked for almost 30 years as a field engineer for what was at one time a major computer mainframe and networking company (who shall remain nameless because I am embarrassed to have been associated with their last incarnation). But after several mergers (each one another step closer to disaster), I drew the line and said "stop the train -- I want to get off" after I was told that from that day forward my primary job was to up-sell products and services to customers, and that my duties as an engineer were to provide "an illusion of service" to the customers (after all they were too stupid to notice that they were being fleeced). While that kind of attitude might work for companies selling products and services to the vast consumer market, I knew that it would not fly for providing products and services to the enterprise segment of the market (and I left before my grandfathered golden parachute option ended). Very shortly after I reached the end of my corporate subsidized unemployment, and after waiting for my non-competitive agreement to expire (so that I could once again work in the same industry and do business with former customers), that post-merger company disappeared into the mist (or perhaps sank into the bog might be a better metaphor). Fortunately, my pension fund was transferred to an annuity with an independent financial institution (a former customer) before I left (and before the company could disappear with the pension fund).

However I don't expect Comcast to suffer in the least for their screw the customer policies, because they largely have a captive customer base, and the principle of "a new one is born every second" more than makes up for any minor customer churn. And yes, I still do business with them because compared to the alternative for affordable HSI in this area, Comcast is technologically superior and is a corporate saint. I have no realistic alternative for TV service (including OTA or satellite because of physical impediments) -- I could do without TV, but my lifelong housemate refuses to consider cutting the cord.
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

Well, the cancellation gone bad my sister experienced was in the old "Strawberry Park" (working class) neighborhood of San José. Maybe, if it had been in "Willow Glen"...
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

GusHerb94

join:2011-11-04
Chicago, IL
reply to NormanS

For some reason if two accounts are in the same name they tie them together somehow that makes it hard for the average untrained brain dead CSR to tell the difference between the two. And god forbid both accounts have identical packages on them!

I had them downgrade an acct to InternetPlus from BlastPlus and they applied it to our home account instead! It took me a week to fix that, but eventually got through to a CSR who literally jumped in excitement to find what she was looking for and straightened it all out and put both accts on new promos.

Now if I have to call in (god forbid. I'd rather hit myself with a brick repeatedly) I quiz them to make sure they're looking at the right account before making changes.

My advice; never have more then one account with comcast in the same name!

swanlee

join:2013-12-05
reply to egeek84

Re: [CustSvc] Comcast Confessions: why the cable guy is always late

At some point this company is going to jump the Shark. Someone will come up with a modular way to compete with them in area's like mine and unhappy customer will run from them.

The second Google Fiber or Verison fiber is available in my area I'm gone. I'll can my entire cable/phone/tv/home alarm package.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

said by swanlee:

The second Google Fiber or Verison fiber is available in my area I'm gone. I'll can my entire cable/phone/tv/home alarm package.

The second that Google Fiber or Verizon FIOS becomes available in your area, you will likely find that Comcast will suddenly become very competitive.
--

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to Furrever Fur

Re: [CustSvc] Re: Comcast Confessions: why the cable guy is always late

Comcast asking for your account number has nothing to do with slamming. A comcast account slammed is very very rare. In fact as long as i have been a member here i have not seen anyone claim the account was slammed. Thats a food for thought when reading forums on the internet.

They cant troubleshoot your connection without already having your account in front of them. That being said they really only need your phone number or address to pull your account up. As far as your account being slammed when you called comcast for trouble shooting. Thats never going to happen as comcasts computer keeps track of every single account and who they are talking to. YOU WILL NEVER BE SLAMMED CALLING comcast. First they need to find your account and than they need you to prove you have authorization on account.

They need to identify you and than they need to have you prove who you are. The proof is generally the last 4 numbers of your social security number. As far as some x tech saying he slammed customers take note he is a x tech.

train_wreck

join:2013-10-04
Antioch, TN
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by rody_44:

YOU WILL NEVER BE SLAMMED CALLING comcast.

I don't know, i might consider all these "incorrect" modem rental charges as a form of "slamming", no matter how hard Comcast might claim it is just a "billing error".

said by Furrever Fur:

Don't you want to plug your phone into a modem?

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to moonpuppy

said by moonpuppy:

said by JohnInSJ:

NOT the same thing. The person you replied to was canceling the account because she was not going to live their anymore so Comcast tried to "save" the account.

You, on the other hand, are still going to pay your bill just from a different address.

The point being, a simple transaction was accomplished with very little effort. Canceling business class was also just as easy.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to NormanS

said by NormanS:

said by JohnInSJ:

Well, the cancellation gone bad my sister experienced was in the old "Strawberry Park" (working class) neighborhood of San José. Maybe, if it had been in "Willow Glen"...

LOL I was about 3 blocks down from Strawberry park.
--

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

The point being, a simple transaction was accomplished with very little effort. Canceling business class was also just as easy.

Then you must be in the minority because I canceled Comcast and it took me over 10 minutes to convince the CSR they had no chance at keeping me as a customer.