Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to sbrook

MVM

to sbrook

Re: And we wonder why our cable and internet rates are going up ....

Which won't impact me, who switched to OTA Not that there are many English-language OTA stations in Montreal, but I get CTV/CBC/Global/City, which isn't have bad for "free". I could also get three PBS stations from Burlington with a better antenna.

I still think that OTA is a colossal waste of spectrum that could be used enormously more efficiently by licensing it for mobile use with a provision that the resulting LTE networks must carry multicast h.265 streams of the stations that the network replaces with free access to the TV streams, mind you. But as long as we're wasting the spectrum on the TV stations, I'm gonna take advantage of it.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Not a lot wrong with the use of spectrum after going to digital ... but that said, they need to cram the signals on nearby channels more effectively.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
You pick up Burlington VT from downtown Mtl? That's pretty damn good.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to Guspaz

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Which won't impact me, who switched to OTA Not that there are many English-language OTA stations in Montreal, but I get CTV/CBC/Global/City, which isn't have bad for "free". I could also get three PBS stations from Burlington with a better antenna.

I still think that OTA is a colossal waste of spectrum that could be used enormously more efficiently by licensing it for mobile use with a provision that the resulting LTE networks must carry multicast h.265 streams of the stations that the network replaces with free access to the TV streams, mind you. But as long as we're wasting the spectrum on the TV stations, I'm gonna take advantage of it.

Considering that OTA is saving me $90/m that I was forking over to Rogers for crap I wasn't watching anyways, I think its an excellent use of the spectrum thanks

But seriously, I believe that free OTA has to survive otherwise we would have *no* option other than to get taken for a ride by a BDU cramming channels down our throats that we neither want to watch or pay for.

Hell, even the *basic* tier on Rogers and Bell has channels that I would never watch nor would I want to support with my money.

NefCanuck