ramsaso
Premium Member
join:2014-01-04
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

ramsaso

Premium Member

"GigaPower" coming to Houston....

"AT&T announces plans to bring gigabit internet to Houston" ( in my opinion...)

»www.khou.com/story/tech/ ··· 3612729/

HOUSTON -- AT&T on Tuesday announced plans to bring its ultra-fast "GigaPower" internet service to the City of Houston.

In a press release, the company said the all-fiber network "will provide services featuring symmetrical upload and download broadband speeds up to 1 Gigabit per second."

The company will install additional fiber and electronics to Houston's existing network. A specific launch date and service area was not announced, however.

If you're the typical internet user and only have a couple people in your household, GigaPower may be overkill. For homes with multiple Netflix streams, etc., GigaPower should bring relief from the buffering.

AT&T says its GigaPower service will allow customers to download 25 songs in one second, download a TV episode in less than three seconds, and download an HD movie in less than 36 seconds.

In April, the company included Houston on its list of 100 candidate cities for the service, which already competes with Google Fiber in Austin.

AT&T is also working to launch GigaPower in Ft. Worth/Dallas and San Antonio.

If this isn't a PR stunt, what should I expect from them?
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

1 recommendation

benk016

I imagine they are "announcing" this in the cities that already have some areas of FTTP. Once they announce a city they will start changing people to that new ONT and magically they will be eligible for the speeds. I think this will give them the marketing to say they have deployed gigabit speeds to more locations than google has. possibly more than any other provider in the USA. Not necessarily more subs, just more locations. This way there is no real cost except the change of ONT and possibly some equipment between the CO and homes, and the added cost for backbone bandwidth.

Again, this is just my speculation. These areas already have the fiber ran to the house, so it would talk almost nothing to do this upgrade for them and they can run to the press with it.
etaadmin
join:2002-01-17
united state

etaadmin to ramsaso

to ramsaso
said by ramsaso:

If this isn't a PR stunt, what should I expect from them?

Do you currently have fiber terminating outside the wall of your house?

Answer 1, Yes: you will likely be upgraded to gigapower.
Answer 2, No: Magic 8 ball tells me that VDSL2 is in your future.
ramsaso
Premium Member
Houston, TX

ramsaso

Premium Member

Funny that answer...I don't think that my HOA would approve of U-Verse other than POTS.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

said by ramsaso:

Funny that answer...I don't think that my HOA would approve of U-Verse other than POTS.

How does your HOA limit AT&T from selling U-Verse? xDSL/FTTN variety or xPON/FTTP variety

If there is a utility easement, and AT&T is allowed to use said easement, there is no reason AT&T can't place new lines and peds. I guess it would depend on how utility easements work in your state/town.
benk016
join:2011-06-05
Owasso, OK

benk016 to ramsaso

to ramsaso
The HOA would have no idea of knowing what ATT ran to your house or what services were coming in over that line. The ONT on the side of the house is bigger than the non-fiber NID's, but that is it.
ramsaso
Premium Member
Houston, TX
ARRIS SB6183

ramsaso

Premium Member

Click for full size
Location (note that I actually don't live in the 3005 building.)

Distances to C.O and R.T(courtesy of Oplink.net)
Technically, I live in an apartment (where I own my unit) so I think it should be called the HOA of apartments but I call it the "genesis community" here on SW Houston. It was made during the last years of the Bell System era so.... yeah.

Anyway, my line are terminated in the phone room located in the lobby which should be in the attachment. Please note that the VRAD depicted in the attachment does NOT cover the apartment complex where I live. I am VERY lucky that 6mbps is the max here (the apartment where my friend lives which is nearby can only get 3mbps).

@ILpt4U: "How does your HOA limit AT&T from selling U-Verse?"
Let's see, we have the worse cable company that the FCC has set eyes upon...
»blog.chron.com/advocate/ ··· ith-fcc/
And since my RT is "3957 ft away", I'm guessing that
1. AT&T has not upgraded us to ADSL2+ or VDSL
2. The HOA has denied AT&T the opportunity to install a VRAD box inside the complex.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

If AT&T really wanted to/saw value in it, a DSLAM could be placed on the easement, within the 3000' loop to reach most/all apartments in the complex, and a cross connect cabinet could be cut in at that point to reach the copper pairs to deliver.

Is there expense? Yes. Is it probable? No. Can it be done? Absolutely. Does the HOA/Apt complex have 1 iota of say about that? Not at all.

The HOA/Complex can control whether an onsite DSLAM is placed, obviously. But if it is on nearby property that AT&T is granted access/permission to use, or if it is on the utility easement, no HOA/Complex can stop that