spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

crashhat

join:2013-12-11

[Comcast Equip] my cable box isn't cooling down

I was curious one day so I picked up my small cable box just to feel it and the bottom of it was really warm. Even with it being off for over 2 hours didn't cool it down even a little. my cable box is on top of my tv stand next to my tv so it's getting enough breathing room (if it needs that). i unplugged it one night before bed just to see if it'll cool down, come to find out it did. so the only way the box cools down is if you unplug it? why should you have to unplug the box just for it to cool down? that's kind of ridiculous if you ask me.

cheeseman

join:2014-06-19
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:1
The boxes are generally never really off... they stay on for guide downloads, software updates, DVR recordings (if applicable)... all you're really doing is turning off video/audio output when you shut it off.

They're designed to run like that, the temperature is not a concern. There's no reason to let it "cool down".

crashhat

reply to crashhat
I feel like it's warmer than it should be

cheeseman

join:2014-06-19
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:1
reply to crashhat
They get very warm. It's perfectly normal.

crashhat

reply to crashhat
how about the whole screen turning blue for a split second? now i know that's not normal...

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
That may be an HDMI handshake refresh. Is it directly connected to the TV, or going through an AV receiver or other HDMI switch?

With my older DCT-6412 connected directly to the TV (with a DVI/HDMI cable), I do sometimes see a very, very brief partial-screen static once in awhile.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by andyross:

That may be an HDMI handshake refresh. Is it directly connected to the TV, or going through an AV receiver or other HDMI switch?

The OP said "my small cable box," so I'm figuring that it's a DTA.

My latest SD-DTA box is a tiny, metal-cased thing that gets very hot on its underside also.

Of course, if it's an HD-DTA, then it would have an HDMI interface.

crashhat

reply to crashhat
it's not a DTA, it's the box that you get when you get standard cable from comcast it's the one you can go on demand with

Gerard1234

join:2012-04-03
reply to crashhat
Now instead of using the stove to keep your food warm you can use the cable box. Just a little humor

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
reply to crashhat
said by crashhat:

it's not a DTA, it's the box that you get when you get standard cable from comcast it's the one you can go on demand with

OK, then maybe it's a Pace RNG110? That one is fairly small as STBs go.

See: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···manuals/

crashhat

it's the motorola one

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by crashhat:

it's the motorola one

You mean the RNG150N?

crashhat

no the DCT700

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by crashhat:

no the DCT700

Oh, that's an old box and is known to have overheating (among other) issues.

I would trade it in for a newer, better model.

See: »DCT700 Nightmare

crashhat

That's exactly what I was thinking about doing. I'll just go in and exchange it for a newer model when I go in and exchange my internet modem that's been f***ing up for over 2 weeks now. it should be free to exchange the cable box for a newer model right?

telcodad
Premium
Lincroft, NJ
said by crashhat:

... it should be free to exchange the cable box for a newer model right?

Yes, as long as it's an STB for an STB, and not an STB for a DVR (which costs more per month).

Furrever Fur
Premium
join:2012-02-20
united state
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Oh, that's an old box and is known to have overheating (among other) issues.

I would trade it in for a newer, better model.

Any tips on how exactly to get those DCT 700s traded in when you have a service center that flat out REFUSES because they plug them in and can get a light? It's as if they get penalized for swapping equipment.

FWIW, I have 2 pencils under each of mine to sort of help with the cooling.

crashhat

reply to crashhat
So I contacted comcast last night and told them that I needed a tech to come out and fix my internet, I also told them about my cable box getting really warm on the bottom and all that. They told me they noted on my account that they were going to bring a new wireless gateway modem and a new sd cable box, a couple minutes after he showed up he went out and got a new gateway modem and hooked it up. after he hooked it up he said "I'm gonna go out here and I'll be back in ten minutes to activate that thing" really? why couldn't you activate it right then and there? while he was activating my modem I asked him if he brought a new sd cable box by any chance and he said no all he had was the x1 boxes left are you kidding me?! I told him about the box and he said is it still working? I was like yea he was like ok then we havent gotten any recalls about that box. So I'm gonna have to take the damn cable box into the comcast store and exchange it myself.