Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

1 edit

2 recommendations

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Picked Up A Corsair K70...

I bought a Corsair K70 mechanical keyboard finally. I've been wanting a mechanical for awhile. This thing absolutely fantastic. Build quality, look, feel, everything. I've been using a Logitech K800 wreless for quite awhile, which are nice but there's just no comparison.

I ended up going with the Gun Metal Finish loaded with the Cherry MX Brown switches and red back-lit keys. I did some reading and chose the brown switches because they're still relatively quiet and have the tactile bump feedback. Reds don't have the key bump I read. I also love that you can completely remove all the keys for easy thorough cleaning. It comes with some (optional) textured, concave gaming keys, which look and feel real nice.

It's got a super thick sleeved cable and a USB pass through cord, so you can plug your mouse directly into the back of the board if needed. I opted to use it to plug my G930 headphone receiver into. You can also completely disable the back light completely and then select only certain keys to illuminate.

Anyways, here are some pictures. Don't be like me and scoff at picking up a mechanical because of price. Just spend the money and get one. They're awesome....

Gun Metal Finish

Textured Gaming Keys

K70 next to a K800

Red Back-lit Keys

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

I am actually in the process of modifying my Logitech G710+. There is a place called »www.maxkeyboard.com/ that sells replacement keys (and novelty keys). I will post a picture when I am done. Welcome to the PCMasterRace.

TSI Chris K
Premium Member
join:2013-10-25
Chatham, ON

TSI Chris K

Premium Member

Maxkeyboard is a pretty good site to get replacement parts from. Another good place to get replacement parts (or different key caps/customized caps) is here »www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/ as well.

They have pretty decent keyboards as well. Been using mine for the past 2 years (Cherry MX Red).They have also started selling Barebones Mechanical Keyboards as well.

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Badass man. Do you know if they have a wireless option? Currently I'm stuck with wireless only, but I'm considering swapping back to a traditional desktop setup. Giant screens make FPS gaming much more difficult.
Xspector8
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03

Xspector8 to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Great choice OP, I too just picked one of these up. Got the Black with Red LEDs and Red Switches. I mostly game so the reds are perfect. I love the textured and molded WASD/123456 arrangement as well. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick one up now or wait for the RGB but then I realized an extra $60 for what is basically something you would only want for show off purposes wasn't very practical. It doesn't stop me from wanting it though lol. If you're not aware of the forthcoming RGB variant of this keyboard though this video explains all and gives a good demonstration.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· jMH8kQlc

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

Badass man. Do you know if they have a wireless option? Currently I'm stuck with wireless only, but I'm considering swapping back to a traditional desktop setup. Giant screens make FPS gaming much more difficult.

Buy a ten foot USB cord and problem solved.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to Savious

Premium Member

to Savious
said by Savious:

There are few wireless mechanical keyboards:

»www.reddit.com/r/Mechani ··· eyboards

I'm not going to call these things pointless because I can't find a lot of reviews, but the reviews are usually mixed best, and the general lack of them in the market seems to indicated either a lack of interest, or the inability to design one properly by manufacturers.

EQ

Savious
Premium Member
join:2012-03-05
Billings, MT

Savious to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
No. We watch movies and stuff with it, and the couch is ~20 feet away. Plus that looks sloppy.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

Adalicia to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
Mechanical keyboards are fantastic. I personally use a Razor Black Widow Ultimate, though I prefer the Logitech G710+.

Clickity-Clack.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

I am actually in the process of modifying my Logitech G710+. There is a place called »www.maxkeyboard.com/ that sells replacement keys (and novelty keys). I will post a picture when I am done. Welcome to the PCMasterRace.

Ascension complete!

I checked out those websites, they do have some pretty cool replacement keys. I like those red "esc" keys
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

Mechanical keyboards are fantastic. I personally use a Razor Black Widow Ultimate, though I prefer the Logitech G710+.

Clickity-Clack.

I just want to sit here and type a 20,000 word report this thing is so nice. Fuck playing any games.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

3 recommendations

Harddrive

Premium Member

We couldn't hear you on teamspeak last night while playing BF4 due to how loud the keys were coming across your mic.

But by the checklist on the wall, you at least picked up your bedroom and made your bed 3 days in a row.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

1 recommendation

Adalicia

said by Harddrive:

We couldn't hear you on teamspeak last night while playing BF4 due to how loud the keys were coming across your mic.

But by the checklist on the wall, you at least picked up your bedroom and made your bed 3 days in a row.

'Tis the best part. We always get a chuckle on Skype when our three or four stack are playing something like Dota 2 and someone on the team stops moving and you hear a cacophony of "clack clack clickity clackity clack" and then:

Team: I swear to fucking good AM, stop ricing and get to the team fights.

And then the random gets sad and throws the game. But you can feel the rage in the fury of beautiful noisy keystrokes.

hsindogg
Premium Member
join:2002-06-21
Potomac, MD

hsindogg to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Nice!

I debated this and the Logitech 710+, and ended up getting the latter because I have a G500 mouse that uses the unified Logitech profile software.

Very similar though...what is the corsair's wrist guard made of? Looks like a rubberized mold.
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
Its so beautiful.

cheesyyellow
join:2009-06-04
Poulsbo, WA

1 recommendation

cheesyyellow to Ghastlyone

to Ghastlyone
nice pick up man. didn't seem to help you too much in the round of bf3 we played last night...sorry I kinda made you my bitch.

I went mechanical about 5 months ago and I'll never go back. they feel so crisp.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to hsindogg

Premium Member

to hsindogg
said by hsindogg:

Nice!

I debated this and the Logitech 710+, and ended up getting the latter because I have a G500 mouse that uses the unified Logitech profile software.

Very similar though...what is the corsair's wrist guard made of? Looks like a rubberized mold.

It is a rubberized material. But it's super soft feeling.

I've been a fan of Logitech for awhile. I did look at the 710, but decided on the Corsair in the end.

Now...regarding my Logitech G700s mouse. There isn't much out there that will knock that off the throne. The G700 is one of the best mice I've ever used.
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to cheesyyellow

Premium Member

to cheesyyellow
said by cheesyyellow:

nice pick up man. didn't seem to help you too much in the round of bf3 we played last night...sorry I kinda made you my bitch.

I went mechanical about 5 months ago and I'll never go back. they feel so crisp.

Dude, that match was horrible haha. Your whole team was completely stomping the shit out of us.

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Long Island

DownLow to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
A question - does this keyboard actually use two (2) USB connections simultaneously? It looks like it does.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

1 edit

1 recommendation

Tirael to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
Click for full size
new

old
A lot of people prefer TKL (ten-keyless) mechanical keyboards. I do not know why. I like having the the ten keys. Anyway, here is what my modification of my G710 looks like. I painted the orange plastic black and replaced some keys.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to DownLow

Premium Member

to DownLow
said by DownLow:

A question - does this keyboard actually use two (2) USB connections simultaneously? It looks like it does.

Yes, one of the cables is a pass through that enables the USB port on the back of the keyboard (which I find kind of handy so far)
Ghastlyone

Ghastlyone to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
said by Tirael:

A lot of people prefer TKL (ten-keyless) mechanical keyboards. I do not know why. I like having the the ten keys. Anyway, here is what my modification of my G710 looks like. I painted the orange plastic black and replaced some keys.

Yeah, I don't understand the desire for a board without a 10 key. There must be enough of a market out there though.

Got a link to your G710 by chance?

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

Refresh the page.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

Ah there it is. Just had to refresh.

That looks cool. Much better blacked out. I never did care for the orange too much.

Which replacement keys did you go with?

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael

Premium Member

Padlock (macro to lock Windows in Logitech Software), Power (macro to bring up shutdown menu in Windows in Logitech Software), and the translucent sampler for WASD and arrow keys.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone

Premium Member

said by Tirael:

Padlock (macro to lock Windows in Logitech Software), Power (macro to bring up shutdown menu in Windows in Logitech Software), and the translucent sampler for WASD and arrow keys.

Oh cool. This K70 actually has the Windows lock button too. Which is pretty nice if you're in game.

My Logitech K800 had the button to bring up the Windows Calculator. I do kind of miss that.

Astyanax
Premium Member
join:2002-11-14
Melbourne, FL

Astyanax to Tirael

Premium Member

to Tirael
I love the picture of the little man running denoting the "Escape" key.

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium Member
Sacramento, CA

Tirael to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
said by Ghastlyone:

This K70 actually has the Windows lock button too.

No. The padlock button that I bought from maxkeyboard replaced one of the G keys on my keyboard. I assigned a keypress to it so it locks the Windows desktop (for when I have company and such).

Also, the guy running is my homage to the "Flee" command in many RPGs.

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium Member
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX

Duramax08 to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
I've been eying the logitech g710+ for awhile now, but now i'll be keeping an eye out for this corsair k70. Thanks for the review and pics!

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Xspector8

Premium Member

to Xspector8
said by Xspector8:

Great choice OP, I too just picked one of these up. Got the Black with Red LEDs and Red Switches. I mostly game so the reds are perfect. I love the textured and molded WASD/123456 arrangement as well. I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick one up now or wait for the RGB but then I realized an extra $60 for what is basically something you would only want for show off purposes wasn't very practical. It doesn't stop me from wanting it though lol. If you're not aware of the forthcoming RGB variant of this keyboard though this video explains all and gives a good demonstration.

(youtube clip)

I did watch that video awhile back. To me, all the different color combos are more of a novelty item and not worth that premium cost. I would probably never use them to be honest.

I tried the Red Switches out over at Frys last weekend. They felt nice too.