Premium Member
join:2000-11-02
Bellport, NY

RickNY to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste

Re: [OOL] SamKnows Configuration Help

said by mbernste:

The Roamio grabs two IPs because of its streaming capabilities.

That's odd.. Mine doesn't do that using MoCA+Ethernet.. I actually use the Ethernet port on it to plug into a switch in my entertainment center to extend the Ethernet provided via the MoCA bridges (one built in to the Roamio Plus and one on the other side of the house where the cable modem is).

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by RickNY:

That's odd.. Mine doesn't do that

Not only two IPs for the device, but two different MAC addresses as well.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

All Roamios with a working Stream should have two IPs and two MACs. They basically stuck a switch and the guts of the Stream right on the motherboard of the Roamio.

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

All Roamios with a working Stream should have two IPs and two MACs. They basically stuck a switch and the guts of the Stream right on the motherboard of the Roamio.

Not necessarily. Only if your Ethernet port on the Tivo is connected to a routable network. The ONLY networking I have available where my Roamio Plus is is MoCA. The Tivo obtains its networking from that. (My previous Premier had an Actiontec MoCA bridge that connected to a switch, and the Premier then connected to that. Since the Roamio Plus has a built-in bridge, I was able to eliminate the Actiontec MoCA bridge ON THAT END)

Now -- if you are configured that way -- you can then use the Ethernet port of the Roamio plus to connect to a switch -- which will extend the MoCA network to the switch.

FWIW -- My Tivo only has one IP address.. And the Tivo Stream portion of that works over MoCA as well.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

There's an internal switch that combines the MoCA, Stream and ethernet ports. The Stream should have it's own IP address, regardless of MoCA/Ethernet/WiFi whatever. That's the only way it works.

The only thing I'm not sure about is what parts are bridge inside Linux. For example, if the real TiVo portion of the box has access to WiFi, Ethernet, and MoCA interfaces, then it likely bridges the MoCA and Ethernet interfaces in software, which then allows the Ethernet port to join the MoCA network and the Stream to work over MoCA. Same with WiFi.

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

RickNY

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

There's an internal switch that combines the MoCA, Stream and ethernet ports. The Stream should have it's own IP address. That's the only way it works.

Incorrect. The Stream will use the MoCA connection if thats all it has. One IP -- same for the Tivo, same for streaming. I use the Ethernet port on my Roamio Plus to bridge to a small workgroup switch -- it can't get an IP from the Ethernet port this way.
RickNY

RickNY to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

They basically stuck a switch and the guts of the Stream right on the motherboard of the Roamio.

You think so? Its technically feasible to just allow the Stream SOFTWARE to only work on a Plus or Pro. I see nothing special about how the stream functionality works, nor do I see the need to stick "a switch and the guts of the Stream" on the motherboard.

Your PC could simply do what the Stream does. I think the Stream functionality limited to the Plus/Pro is a marketing move.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

2 edits

Thinkdiff to RickNY

MVM,

to RickNY
I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying. There is an internal switch that connects the stream's network interface, the TiVo's network interface, and the external Ethernet port. When the TiVo is configured for MoCA, the MoCA and TiVo's internal ethernet interfaces are bridged in software. That adds both the external Ethernet port and the Stream to the existing network via that switch.

Here are my three Roamios (two Plus, one Pro). One is configured Ethernet->MoCA bridge, one is configured MoCA->Ethernet bridge and one is only MoCA. All three have two MACs and two IPs:
192.168.0.159    0x1         0x2         00:11:d9:XX:XX:XX     *        br-lan
192.168.0.160    0x1         0x2         00:11:d9:XX:XX:XX     *        br-lan
192.168.0.181    0x1         0x2         00:11:d9:XX:XX:XX     *        br-lan
192.168.0.182    0x1         0x2         00:11:d9:XX:XX:XX     *        br-lan
192.168.0.188    0x1         0x2         00:11:d9:XX:XX:XX     *        br-lan
192.168.0.189    0x1         0x2         00:11:d9:XX:XX:XX     *        br-lan

Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff to RickNY

MVM,

to RickNY
said by RickNY:

You think so?

At the risk of sounding rude, I know so.
said by RickNY:

Its technically feasible to just allow the Stream SOFTWARE to only work on a Plus or Pro.

No it isn't. The Broadcom SoC that TiVo uses to run the TiVo itself does not have a h.264 encoder. They could've added one off-chip, but they chose a technically easier method instead.
said by RickNY:

Your PC could simply do what the Stream does. I think the Stream functionality limited to the Plus/Pro is a marketing move.

That depends.. If your PC has multiple hardware h.264 encoders, then yes it could. Your PC is also hundreds of times more powerful than a TiVo (and uses a lot more power). The Roamio (non Plus/Pro) is significantly smaller than the Roamio Pro/Plus. One big reason is it doesn't have all this extra hardware.

RickNY
Premium Member
Bellport, NY

RickNY to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

When the TiVo is configured for MoCA, the MoCA and TiVo's internal ethernet interfaces are bridged in software.

Which makes sense -- otherwise the switch that is connected to the Tivo's Ethernet port in my case wouldn't bridge to the MoCA network.

All I was saying was in my case -- the only IP and MAC address that shows up on my network is the one from (I'm guessing) the Stream interface via MoCA. And the Tivo service goes through that -- since the Ethernet port doesn't give it a route to the Internet.

I was inquiring with the "You think so?", so I didn't take your reply as rude