Search similar:

uniqs
DocLarge
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08

DocLarge

Premium Member

Running "Asterisk Add-on" Inside of ReadyNAS 516

It appears a "thing" these days is running an asterisk box from a NAS. I've just recently upgraded to the ReadyNAS 516 and saw the feature to allow this add-on?

Has anyone gone this route in testing as of yet?

Jay
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

Re: Running "Asterisk Add-on" Inside of ReadyNAS 516

I had a Netgear WGT634U NAT/FIrewall WiFi router with a USB2 port flashed with a self-built OpenWRT firmware back in 2008 and it served as my Asterisk PBX System along with NAS (200 GB USB HDD) + a USB printer server. I have replaced this system with a Seagate Dockstar and/or Seagate GoFLEX NET. Since both WGT634U and Dockstar ain't really a NAS, the performance really sucks because the USB2 bottle neck when compared to GoFLEX NET with two SATA ports. My internal LAN is still on a 10/100 Mbps, so a SATA NAS isn't an issue, but rather more than adequate.

toro
join:2006-01-27
Scarborough, ON

toro to DocLarge

to DocLarge

That NAS appears to be an x86 system built with a Core i3 CPU and 4GB RAM running Debian (the packages have a .deb extension)
With those specs I see no problem running Asterisk even for an office with 100+ extensions.
DocLarge
Premium Member

DocLarge

Premium Member

Thought so....

Now for the kicker; "has anyone here ever used any NAS from the ReadyNAS product line as a call manager? If not, I guess I'll go ahead and try it and report back .

Jay
twinclouds
join:2010-06-12
San Diego, CA

twinclouds to DocLarge

to DocLarge
Is it free or need to pay additional?
DocLarge
Premium Member

DocLarge

Premium Member

It's free
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

twinclouds

If it is the plain Asterisk, it should be. Installation take less than 10 minutes anyway if one can access Debian inside. If it is something like freePBX, it will be a little more difficult.
VoipisGreat
join:2013-03-25

VoipisGreat to DocLarge

to DocLarge
I'm planning to buy a ReadyNAS, would like to learn from your experience.
twinclouds
San Diego, CA

1 edit

twinclouds to DocLarge

to DocLarge
said by DocLarge:

It's free

Didn't realize the unit costs over $1000. If that's the case, they can certainly afford that.
DocLarge
Premium Member

DocLarge

Premium Member

They have versions that are cheaper. I'm starting a consulting company so I need the space; I've been looking at these 6-bay units for a while, so I figured it was now or never