Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

1 edit

Adalicia

[Vanilla] 10 Years of World of Warcraft

From Blizzard:

Gearing Up to Celebrate 10 Years of World of Warcraft

This November marks the 10-year anniversary of World of Warcraft, and we’re cooking up a few in-game plans to commemorate the occasion. Here’s a quick preview of what’s in store:

Tarren Mill vs. Southshore: The Rematch

If you engaged in PvP early on in WoW, you might have fond memories of—and perhaps a few scars from—the endless tug-of-war between Horde and Alliance players at Tarren Mill and Southshore. To recapture that feeling, we’ll be opening a Team Deathmatch–style Battleground based on that timeless struggle. However, unlike the old days of Tarren Mill vs. Southshore, there will be a clearly defined victor, so you’ll need to work as a team or face crushing defeat.

Molten Core Gets Boosted

Molten Core provided many WoW players with their first taste of WoW raiding. For the anniversary celebration, max-level players will be able to participate in a special 40-player Raid Finder version to relive the experience of hunting down Ragnaros and his minions within his fiery lair. Downing the Firelord will earn you an Achievement and a special Core Hound mount reward (fireproof leg armor not included).

Corgi-licious

Anyone who logs in during the 10-year anniversary event will also be able to claim a feisty, fiery new pet: the Molten Corgi! Just think of the corgi-parade potential when you and your friends summon these wee waddling balls of fire for a walk.
These events and rewards will only be available for a limited time, so make sure to check back with us later for more information on when you can expect to see all of these events and goodies in-game. ‘Til then, we’re looking forward to celebrating 10 epic years with you!

clawfury
join:2012-02-14
Rochester, MI

clawfury

Oh noes.....if THIS is what they are doing for November, including a redone 40 man raid....does that mean they will delay the xpac until next year, perhaps? I can't think of any other reason they would pre-emptively announce a new 40 man raid finder and other bonuses then to quell the howls of outrage from their dwindling subscriber base over content drought :-/ Ha. I hope I'm wrong.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

max-level players will be able to participate in a special 40-player Raid Finder version to relive the experience of

hating yourself for putting up with such a large group of people you don't even like just for a chance at raiding.
40m Raid Finder... ugh.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

3 recommendations

Adalicia

Are you really going to whine about something that is a fun and novel idea, and the inclusion of the easy to use of Raid Finder? I mean, if you won't have fun, don't do it.

Fuck man, I get that people have qualms about WoW, but this isn't Vanilla WoW. This is Blizzard trying to have fun and giving a lot of people something they have been asking for, for literally years now. Scaling old content. Bring back 40 Man Raids. Etc.

40 Man Raid Finder Molten Core, where you'll spend a few hours once a week having fun. Or, going back eight and a half years, spending four hours a night five nights a week with 40 insufferable shit heads you actually do know and have to work with, and of course fifteen of the fuckers are AFK, and you're still farming Molten Core so two of your Rogues can finally get fucking Perdition's Blade despite the fact that you're balls deep as a group in AQ40 but heaven help you if you step in and get the Naxx 40 trash cleave train ran on your ass.

I mean, c'mon. It will be fun. If it ain't, don't do it, but don't act like this isn't exactly, along with Tarren Mill VS South Shore, shit people have been begging for for years.
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury

I think the new PvP zone sounds great I just think this is preceding an announcement of a much later release date than is predicted for WoD I could care less about a new raid finder - I can't even bring myself to do Raid finder now, at all.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by clawfury:

I just think this is preceding an announcement of a much later release date than is predicted for WoD

And why do you make that logical jump?

So, we know the exact date that World of Warcraft launched. Year after year for the last couple we have gotten some kind of trinket, pet, bobble, or scroll, a feat of strength, and whatever else, for the anniversary. Now, that celebration happens the same time, every year, cause, you know that is how anniversaries work. This is ten years which is a big deal. A decade.

You realize that in ten years, people could have started playing WoW, got married, had a kid, and their kid now plays WoW? I mean, I would feel pretty safe in saying this is something that has been in the works for a long time and has little to no impact on Warlords and whenever it comes out. From the start Blizzard has always had a "Ready when it is ready" philosophy with their games, even WoW Expansions.

As it stands right now, WoD is pretty much on schedule with every other expansion since TBC:

TBC: 26 months (2004-11-23 – 2007-01-16)
WotLK: 22 months (2007-01-16 – 2008-11-13)
Cataclysm: 25 months (2008-11-13 – 2010-12-07)
MoP: 22 months (2010-12-07 – 2012-09-25)
WoD: Planned: 24-27 months (2012-09-25 – fall 2014)

September-December is a big window.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
Woot, I hope I can get my guildies to help form a mostly pre-made MC-40
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

I mean, c'mon. It will be fun.

YA lets get er done
clawfury
Rochester, MI

clawfury to Adalicia

to Adalicia
I agree with your logic - but recreating a 40 man raid in raid finder is (at least from the notes I read about wow's engine, and scripting) - quite a lot of work. As is creating a new BG. It doesn't seem a little far fetched to you that they are going to bundle all of that so close together, given their typical comments on resources? a 40 man RF and a new BG are a far cry from a pet or a tabard.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

Exactly, which is the point I'm trying to make. This is something that has to have been planned for a good long time AND something they've been working towards for a while. I would imagine it probably didn't take resources away from the expansion and that will go along as scheduled, which means "when it is ready" regardless of this little jaunt.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Also this might be a way for them to really test the 6.0 changes before launch.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
said by Adalicia:

I mean, c'mon. It will be fun.

I was making fun of the nostalgia of the "gool ol' days of 40man raiding" always overlooking the negatives of having to put up with people you hated just so you could raid. I was also making fun of Blizz tying it to LFR when most of the people you run into in LFR lack 5man discipline much less 40 man... again, my mockery is at the nostalgia piece.

I like the idea of scaling up the old raids, and will give it a go with as many friends as possible to try and balance out the odds. After soloing/duoing that content on several toons, it will be nice to see things hit hard again. I dislike being "sold", so adding all of that bogus fluff about reliving the old days puts me off.

I still /spit on all pvp... should be a separate game entirely. At least the taren mill crap will be instanced and completely avoidable.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

We both know that it won't be "reliving" the old days.

If it was reliving the old days the mobs would be immune to fire. Warlocks would have to spend an hour farming soul shards before the raid. Mages would spend 20 minutes conjuring water for the raid, drinking every other cast. Paladins would spend the entire time casting seals on each player, literally doing nothing else. Oh and be Alliance only. And Shamans? Eh, keep one out of combat so they can rez. Priests are the only healers, Warriors are the only tanks.

Oh, and, more on topic, apparently the TM VS SS will be 100 vs 100 according to Twitter.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Adalicia:

That we do, which is why I didn't anticipate the blowback from my mockery. Oh well... no biggie.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

said by Immer:

said by Adalicia:

That we do, which is why I didn't anticipate the blowback from my mockery. Oh well... no biggie.

I didn't take it as mockery for the most part because you ended with "40 Man Raid Finder...ugh."

And I'm crabby anyway from work. Apologies pumpkin.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike to Adalicia

Mod

to Adalicia
Molten Corgi.

Good night.

Harddrive
Proud American and Infidel since 1968.
Premium Member
join:2000-09-20
Fort Worth, TX

Harddrive

Premium Member

Click for full size

Anon835
@174.47.187.x

Anon835

Anon

That Corgi pet is probably the cutest thing ever. I was all set to throw money at my screen for it, but the fact that it's being given out free is awesome.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Can my Water ele extinguish it?

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

One thing I do find interesting is they state "max-level players," and don't bother to give an actual specific level. I haven't spent any time in the WoD beta, because I'm not cool enough to get an invite for whatever dumb reason, but based on what I have seen via reddit and other places like MMO Champion it seems like it is fairly far along. With the release date announcement next week, I would not be surprised to see this come out BEFORE the anniversary and the content is set for Level 100 players. It would, ironically, be a really easy way to ensure that players aren't able to out gear and face roll through it, in addition to having the inevitable shit show that is 40 people running around like idiots, just like in the old days.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well there's a lot still to be fleshed out, a few have reported 90-100 leveling in only 12hours (that just not right)

Also lots of in game events are not inplace yet and even seems like some quests are missing.

plus all the legendary cloaks are still sideways.

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge

Premium Member

All depends on when they did 90-100. Latest character wipe also increased XP needed per level.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
Hmmm this actually has me contemplating a short re-subscribe. The only problem is I did nothing with my toons in Panda after the post-release rush to lvl90. So they are still sitting in leveling gear. I'd have to be carried in the 40 man and would get raped in the Tauren Mill vs. South-Shore battles.

How much effort would it take to "gear-up" this late in the expansion? Assuming I can overcome the daunting hurdle of logging-in when I no longer have my authenticator and don't remember my password. That in itself gives me shudders.

Cat5
join:2013-04-26

Cat5

said by saillaw:

How much effort would it take to "gear-up" this late in the expansion? Assuming I can overcome the daunting hurdle of logging-in when I no longer have my authenticator and don't remember my password. That in itself gives me shudders.

PvE is super fast with the Timeless Isle. you won't be at the pinnacle of your powers of course, but you'll be able to do a decent enough job.

PvP is still a massive ballache as you get so little honor from BG's that gearing is quicker doing dungeons and exchanging justice. Rather ruins the point somewhat.

saillaw
Premium Member
join:2007-05-08
Dismay

saillaw

Premium Member

I think I'll give it a try. My wife and kids are in Germany for the next several weeks so I have lots of game time available.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

If you just get to the timeless isle it will take very little time to get gear (there is a quest from Chromie at the top level of the shrine between the ally and horde shrine), she gives you a trinket to get there.

Do the initial quests, and go to MMO Champ to find the map to all the chests there. Many of the one time chests contain gear. All timeless gear is Ilvl 498, and you can find burdens of eternity that upgrades a piece to 535. After getting all the chests and killing mobs, you'll have close to a full set of 498 gear. Will take you a few hours at most.

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

stonhinge

Premium Member

Please note that the Burden of Eternity can only be used on the gear tokens, it can't be used to upgrade gear directly. Also can't be used on the trinket token.

qualitybobby
Premium Member
join:2009-12-29
Middleville, NY

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Correct, I should have mentioned that. Also, the trinket is unique equip.... so if you have one and have a healer/tank off spec, make sure you change to one of those specs so when you convert the second token to a trinket it's not the same one.
qualitybobby

qualitybobby

Premium Member

Also, do the Celestial boss in the center of the courtyard. The boss just has to be hit my you one to get the tag. The opposite faction can be on it, but if you go hit it once, you still get either gear or gold.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

There is your answer:

11/13/2014