spc
Search similar:

uniqs

n2jtx
join:2001-01-13
Glen Head, NY

n2jtx

13 Years

When I signed up for OOL at The Wiz back in August 2001 (had to buy my modem), OOL speeds were, as the article notes, unheard of in the industry. There was only one tier and you got 10/1 service. Today, $20 higher than my initial rate (which actually went up $10 to $49.95 about five months in but I was under contract), and I get 18/5 service. On the plus side, I do not need the higher speeds that the $5/month Boost add-on provide but it is ironic that Cablevision's speeds are no longer industry leading.

DAOWAce
join:2006-10-25
Flanders, NJ

DAOWAce

They were one of the fastest ISPs in the US back in the past..

But they also capped your service if you so much used your provided upload for more than 5 minutes.

Eventually that stopped, but their speed edge also waned as well. Now other providers offer faster speeds, lower latency and high reliability; at least as far as my area is concerned.

I'd jump over to FiOS if I could, but they haven't wired down my street despite being near here for over 3 years. Really unfortunate.

Chris123NT
join:2001-11-24
Palm Bay, FL
Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-4
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD
Motorola MB8611

Chris123NT

said by DAOWAce:

They were one of the fastest ISPs in the US back in the past..

But they also capped your service if you so much used your provided upload for more than 5 minutes.

Eventually that stopped, but their speed edge also waned as well. Now other providers offer faster speeds, lower latency and high reliability; at least as far as my area is concerned.

I'd jump over to FiOS if I could, but they haven't wired down my street despite being near here for over 3 years. Really unfortunate.

The upload capping is actually why I left OOL in 2006. I am on FiOS now and my only gripe is the netflix issues sadly.