All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CMurphy3630
join:2014-08-06

CMurphy3630

[Connectivity] Internt Ping Drops

I am renting a downstairs studio in my landlord's home. We switched to Comcast internet about three months ago and I've had the same issue consistently with no luck figuring it out.

Basically, one of two things occurs. Either I'm a) playing a game while watching a stream and the stream, Skype call, and game will be fine coming in, but all of a sudden my commands will stop going out. I can watch the game playing out on my screen but I can't move or do anything and my Skype call sounds fine but my speaking back has significant packet loss. What can also happen is b) the spike is bad enough where also the Skype call will drop and the stream will freeze trying to refresh.

Here's what I know and I've done as far as troubleshooting already:

We are using a YN3720 with the WiFi turned OFF however still acting as the primary router. This feed two separate ethernet cables (one downstairs to my WRT54g in bridge mode, ~50ft cable; one to my landlord's airport express base station also in bridge mode upstairs. One wifi is set to channel 2, the other channel 10). The modem itself has been swapped as of 5 days ago.

The first technician came out and cleaned up the splitters and cables, saying the upstream power was a little low. The second and third (supervisor) came out since then and said all of the specs now look perfect and that their system hasn't seen any drops in the past 7 days. However my issue was happening 30 minutes before he came and was very bad the night before.

Last night just to confirm, I took the 50ft cable running directly from the modem to my computer to bypass the WRT54g to confirm that wasn't causing issues and the problems still happened. The last test I haven't performed is unplugging the airport upstairs as well, as now I'd be imposing on my landlord by turning off his internet and hoping it happens (or doesn't happen) as it's sometimes kind of random and I can go a couple hours without issue.

Is there anything else I can test? Anything I haven't thought of? Anything on my desktop that could be causing issues?