MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

Link Logger to redwolfe_98

MVM

to redwolfe_98

Re: Java Responsible For 93% Of Malware-Infections

We should also remember that users are somewhat guilty or perhaps only unaware that they need to practice safe hex and that includes installing patches and upgrades as I'd bet there are more then just a few systems out there running older vulnerable versions of Java etc. I know some folks get really bent out of shape when an app calls home, but if its calling home to see if an update is available is that really so bad?

Blake

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by Link Logger:

I know some folks get really bent out of shape when an app calls home, but if its calling home to see if an update is available is that really so bad?

I consider it bad when an automatically installed update (that the PC owner might not even know had been installed) suddenly trashes the system. BTDT for myself and numerous clients before I wised up and turned off auto updates for everything (automatic update checking, not so bad, but automatic updating, no way). I know that "somebody" needs to be the guinea pig, but I prefer not to play that part (I will wait for multiple other people to try it before I try it).

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

2 recommendations

DownTheShore to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger
Back in the day, I would turn off auto-update checking for most programs because they slowed down my computer too much, with all of their phoning home.

Now, the only things I allow to auto-update without asking specific permission from me is my security software. Everything else that can be set to just alert me that an update is available, is set that way. If it only allows automatic updating, then I turn it off and manually check for new versions periodically.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere

Premium Member

Way to Go !
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned) to Link Logger

to Link Logger
Whats funny about updates and my computers. Until recently i have always had 2 or more computers. 1 i could not care less about. If it got hosed to the ground oh well i could reformat reinstall and go. Hell it never had more than basic drivers that would give me fairly high res and refresh on vid and basic sound mouse etc. The other one was my 3d development system. It was never even on line. I would update only drivers and direct x etc. I could not care about any thing security wise on it. I would install sygate fire wall when a update was avail for something i needed install a network card connect grab install disconnect remove network card and done. When i was heavy in to beta testing that computer was always fully updated other than security. Again i just had no need for it. I ran fire walls etc on bother net connected systems to block all out going other than what i wanted to go out. So even if it got smacked with a worm it would never spread from my system. Oddly on my disposable comp running occasional virus scans i never had any lol. Obviously this doesn't apply to when i would infect my comp on purpose.