spc
Search similar:

uniqs

CBLMorphis
join:2001-02-25
Riverside, CA

CBLMorphis

[Rant] Microsoft Windows 8.1

I light of the Microsoft windows 8 and I think it is a nice and fast OS but the upgrade from 8.0 to 8.1 is hell.

After downloading and letting it go, and come back to see what the progress is, only to find out I was stuck at a black screen, and I couldn't do anything. Not a damn thing at all.

Luckly I was able to revert back the 8.0 and everything is back to normal.

Apperently this is an ongoing issue and MS is aware of it, and yet has released a fix for it.

What I find annoying more then anything, is the pop up on my windows 8 urging me to update with no option to hide the pop up, and MS known there is a problem and not fix it.

Now come on, really guys, how many windows do we need with fixes // hot fixes?

You keep adding all the old bugs with the new bugs added.

You have had plenty of time to come out with a workable OS and yet still can't make a working Windows, this is 2014, not 1420.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

I get no such nags to install 8.1.

I also rarely reboot and run ClassicShell.
Secyurityet
Premium Member
join:2012-01-07
untied state

Secyurityet to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
said by CBLMorphis:

MS is aware of it, and yet has released a fix for it.

Then why not download the fix?

Eyeballs
Premium Member
join:2000-04-25
Worcester, MA

Eyeballs to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
Yup, same issue. keep getting a failure when I go to install the update. I gave up. Went into forums looking for help. They give these 15 point lists of things to try in order to get it to install.

I shouldn't have to go through all of that just to get an OS update to install.

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
I updated my wife's desktop from Win 8 to 8.1 last month and everything went fine. I walked away and came back later and the reboot prompt was waiting and that was that.

I installed Classic Shell ans set it up for her and that was that.

Never saw any pop ups urging an update to 8.1.

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
I wasn't able to update my workstation, since there is no upgrade path at all from Windows 8 Enterprise to Win 8.1 Enterprise. Had to do a full install.

As such, no problems at all...and man, how I hate vanilla 8.0 now after this.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
only gripe i have is how darn long it takes to download the update. it seems to start and pause start and pause. last time it took well over 6 hours to download (granted i only have a 3Mbps connection)

then i just hit reboot and walk away to do other things.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran to banditws6

Premium Member

to banditws6
What's in 8.1 that you like so much?

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Just a bunch of little things. There's been some attempt to make the Start screen more usable for desktop-heavy users, so now desktop application icons can be resized and will take on background colors automatically to help you identify them. Also, installing a new desktop app doesn't pin anything to the Start screen by default. I'm pretty OCD so this makes it easier for me to keep a clean and organized Start screen where I don't have to scroll for miles.

There's also a Power button right on the Start screen so you can much more easily sleep, hibernate, shutdown or restart the machine without having to do that dumbass "hot corner" trick to open the idiotic charms bar.

You can also add a Start button back to the Taskbar.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

said by banditws6:

Also, installing a new desktop app doesn't pin anything to the Start screen by default.

This is honestly the one feature of 8.1 I'd most like to have. Even though I use ClassicShell I will hit Metro once in a while for one reason or another. It annoys me that the top-level screen is cluttered with crap.

I think I'll live without it though until Microsoft drags me forcibly into 8.1. The problems people have with it and lack of rollback ability (aside from backing up the system) make me wary.

banditws6
Premium Member
Frisco, TX

banditws6

Premium Member

Yeah, I quite like the "pin nothing by default" policy. I don't have to go in there and clean things up every time I install a program.

Also, forgot to mention another (very little) thing: You can set Windows 8.1 to boot directly to the desktop now, instead of the Start screen.

Of course, I recognize that most of the things I enjoy most about 8.1 are simply regressions back to more Win7-centric methodologies!

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by banditws6:

Also, forgot to mention another (very little) thing: You can set Windows 8.1 to boot directly to the desktop now, instead of the Start screen.

still have to use netplwiz for autologin though, and if you change the system name it breaks that so you have to go in and redo it, as i just found out.

thats one thing that really annoys me, that dang super complex login they make you use, oh sure i could just use a local account, but i kind of like the features of the ms account. its come in handy since ive had to reinstall a dozen times in the last year (dell problem, NOT an ms problem) granted a backup could probably do the same thing. but i guess im just "backup stupid" as ive yet to find a program i like that lets me specify things i want to do though thats a different topic.

its still a PITA to switch accessibility items on and off, i.e. going to and from high contrast still needs a reboot to "reset". and the whole "touch" idea annoys me to no end as a legally blind individual.

and thats one reason i hate, absolutely HATE, the layout of the start screen, i need contrast for "folders" so i can find things. i.e. i just installed wireshark, yet if i go to the start screen and click that lil arrow on the bottom to bring up "all" i cant tell what installed items go to what. yet with the old set up they would all be under program specific folders.

that said, i still like 8.1 for the "little things" a simple to access global search. it does still have its annoyances though, i still prefer manually doing updates through control panel. for what ever reason the "proper way" just doesnt work right for me, though thats a "me not you" kinda thing.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to CBLMorphis

Premium Member

to CBLMorphis
I have 8.0 Pro and I seriously doubt that I will ever upgrade even after Jan 2016 when security patches for 8.0 stop. I use Start8 and I never accidentally get into Metro side. I don't need Metro side for anything now that I have correct boot setup so that I boot to a screen that has me choose what type of boot I want including all advanced boot options (that had been only accessible via Metro side) and Last Known Good that Microsoft stupidly left out of Windows 8.

I see no need for 8.1 EXCEPT if you want security patches after Jan 2016. I also have Windowblinds so I have aero and full control of such things as what Windows font I want (I still cannot believe that Microsoft could be such an ass as to take that choice away from Windows 8 users)! As for the nag, if you disable UAC in the registry you won't get the nag. I had a longtime Microsoft MVP try to tell me otherwise but that MVP and the others at Microsoft forums for Windows 8 actually know very little about Windows 8...they used to be great MVP's back with 98SE and XP but now they are total Microsoft slaves and really know shockingly little about Microsoft's current OS.

If I ever upgrade, it will not be for security reasons or to get a start menu that I already have a better one than what Microsoft has provided in 8.1, etc. but only if I can no longer use my favorite applications because they no longer are supported on 8.0.

Packeteers
Premium Member
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Asus RT-AC3100
(Software) Asuswrt-Merlin

1 recommendation

Packeteers

Premium Member

said by Mele20:

I seriously doubt that I will ever upgrade even after Jan 2016 when security patches for 8.0 stop.

said by Mele20:

need for 8.1 EXCEPT if you want security patches after Jan 2016.

said by Mele20:

If I ever upgrade, it will not be for security reasons

Mele - do you even read the gibberish you keep posting here?

CBLMorphis
join:2001-02-25
Riverside, CA

CBLMorphis

We shouldn't have to go through this and not to mention Microsoft should come out with a patch for it. I don't like how they push it on my by slamming there add in my face every 30mins to update just to do it so it messes up my PC.

There is no excuse for it at all, this is a brand new system, and I ran a check list and everything passed. So I see no reason not for it to work