uniqs
jacour
Premium Member
join:2001-12-11
Matthews, NC

jacour

Premium Member

[WIN7] Shutdown problem

My wife's computer (Win 7 Pro) starting having shut down issues a few weeks back. Whenever she reboots or attempts to power down, she get a system message. I forget the exact wording but it is something to the effect "Please wait, operations are in progress. Your machine will shut down automatically when they are finished". You know the one, it pops up when MS pushes a big security update or service pack.

Her problem is that she gets the message EVERY time and this has been going on for some weeks now. Eventually we can kill the machine by a long hold of the power button, but that is not good for your karma (or the hard disk). Does anybody know what causes this and, more importantly, how to fix it?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

If you do believe that it may be related to a Microsoft Update, then I would go check what your Windows Update settings are set at. My guess would be, and if you are correct, you should have one of the options that installs them automatically.

While you are in that area, it probably would not hurt to do a manual check for updates, and install any that show up. It sounds like there is a pending update that needs to finish installing.

Also, have you checked the event logs to see if there are any errors logged during this time? You will get some when you power off the computer in that way, but I'm wondering if you get any others about things not installing.

--Brian