uniqs
share rss forum feed

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3
reply to DarkLogix

Re: (not at all sure where to post this) Fair price 4 pc maintenance?

If I don't want to babysit them on windows I sure as hell am not going to babysit them on linux if they don't want to learn from their mistakes, and no os is immune, especially to the person behind the keyboard.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

you might be surprised, they likely won't know how to break it.
and don't give em root.

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13

Linux is not always the answer like some geeks assume. I wouldn't want to go over there every time there was an update, and unlike windows many of their updates don't operate on a patch tuesday schedule. Leaving them with outdated internet software isn't the best idea, and relying on security through obscurity isn't either. These are people who are not in the same house as me, and I really don't want to be the person they call every time they have a question or problem, which is also why I don't build systems for these people.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 edit

then maybe RDP to a terminal server VM set to not have a persistent harddrive

then once a month you shut it down and change to persistent then apply updates then return to non-persistent.

then if it messes up just do a cold reboot.

Or use a live CD/DVD so any reboot would reset to scratch.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

intok

join:2012-03-15
reply to BlitzenZeus

said by BlitzenZeus:

Linux is not always the answer like some geeks assume. I wouldn't want to go over there every time there was an update, and unlike windows many of their updates don't operate on a patch tuesday schedule. Leaving them with outdated internet software isn't the best idea, and relying on security through obscurity isn't either. These are people who are not in the same house as me, and I really don't want to be the person they call every time they have a question or problem, which is also why I don't build systems for these people.

Use an LTS release of Mint or Ubuntu and put the auto updates to bi-weekly or monthly, problem solved for the next 5 years when it's EOL'd, at which point install another LTS release, and be good for the next 5 years again.
--
You think theres no games for Linux? »desura.com »gameolith.com »humblebundle.com »playdeb.net »ubuntuvibes.com

Check out »youtube.com/user/TheBigPictureRT/videos »freespeech.org and »democracynow.org

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

then once a month you shut it down and change to persistent then apply updates then return to non-persistent.

FWIW, you can do that without RDP or a VM. Microsoft had a tool for that called SteadyState, though it was limited to XP32 and Vista32 only. There's another product called Deep Freeze that will do the same thing. I'm not positive if it works on UEFI/GPT systems or not, or if that even matters to it. Might be worth looking into for those that have the "repeat offenders" LOL

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by JoelC707:

said by DarkLogix:

FWIW, you can do that without RDP or a VM. Microsoft had a tool for that called SteadyState, though it was limited to XP32 and Vista32 only. There's another product called Deep Freeze that will do the same thing. I'm not positive if it works on UEFI/GPT systems or not, or if that even matters to it. Might be worth looking into for those that have the "repeat offenders" LOL

I heard it didn't work as good as a VM with a non-persistent VMDK, IE some viruses could get around it.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

ninja5027

join:2002-02-08
Dry Ridge, KY
reply to me1212

i do half of my shop price so round $40 would be fine

its hard to charge family or chruch who wont take free as an answer