All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

Kind of funny EOL announcement.

I've been asked to help with a network that has some GSR 12000. I don't have a ton of experience bit I do know my way around one at least for what they use them for. I was digging around the Cisco site looking for any potential upgrades (possible replacement budget won't come before 2015) when I found this EOL announcement.

»www.cisco.com/c/en/us/pr ··· 418.html

LOL can you really get a service contract on these?
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE

MVM

For a minute I thought they were talking about the 12000 itself, then I read it alittle closer -- Cisco 12000 Series Chassis Blank Filler Panel

Duuuuuur?! *LOL*

Regards

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to battleop

MVM

to battleop
said by battleop:

I've been asked to help with a network that has some GSR 12000.

are these the ios boxen -- or are they running the 124xx (which i believe are the only 12k chassis that supports xr)? i'm sure you're aware -- but there are caveats abound, depending on the engine of the linecards and what version of the prp is on the box. good chassis -- as long as you don't hit a limitation. once you do -- its funny to watch the box shit the bed and roll around in it.

q.

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to battleop

MVM

to battleop
The company I used to work for did this, it does work, its how they supported their GSRs. There was a magic filler pannel floating around the NOC. IIRC the key was that it had a serial number, which meant it could be associated with a router, and you can then raise a TAC case against it - at least thats what I gathered at the time.

I will ask around and see if I can find out.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to tubbynet

to tubbynet
I think they are all 12006s running XR. They were mainly used for TDM aggregation (T1 to 8xT1) and speaking BGP to their peers. I think all of their engineers are gone and it's been running on auto pilot for some time. I'm going to start out with grooming the T1s to see how many DS3s Aggregation Circuits they really need.
battleop

battleop to TomS_

to TomS_
So far we haven't found any evidence that these GSRs have had Smartnet in the last few years. As cheap as things are on the grey market I don't think I'll bother. For the next few months I'm just going to groom T1s and clean things up.

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
MVM
join:2008-01-16
Gilbert, AZ

tubbynet to battleop

MVM

to battleop
which, after digging deeper, makes sense.
i thought that you needed a 124xx to run the prp-2. apparently, it runs in every gsr. so if its prp-2, with engine-3 or engine-5 cards (and requisite csc, sfc cards) xr will run.

q.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

DarkLogix to HELLFIRE

Premium Member

to HELLFIRE
said by HELLFIRE:

For a minute I thought they were talking about the 12000 itself, then I read it alittle closer -- Cisco 12000 Series Chassis Blank Filler Panel

Duuuuuur?! *LOL*

Regards

LOL a service contract on a blank really?
Customer: "Hello one of our blanks stopped working"

Cisco: "How so?"

Customer: "Its just not blanking any more?"

Cisco: "Can you please describe how its not working?"

20 min later

Hurp Derp.