spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

frenchmamaw

@24.191.238.x

Possible false car registration?

We don't know how to find out if someone is using our address for their car registration. Does anyone now how we would go about finding out that information?

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by frenchmamaw :

We don't know how to find out if someone is using our address for their car registration. Does anyone now how we would go about finding out that information?

Contact the motor vehicle agency in your state, ya think?

For example in New York State, the Department of Motor Vehicles....

stevek1949
We're not in Kansas anymore
Premium
join:2002-11-13
Virginia Beach, VA
said by PX Eliezer:

For example in New York State, the Department of Motor Vehicles....

The IP address suggests Optimum Online in Watertown, CT. It would be the Connecticut DMV.

»www.ct.gov/dmv/site/default.asp

what the

join:2014-06-28
usa
reply to frenchmamaw

An invitation to renew your registration will automatically be mailed to you approximately 45 days prior to your expiration date. If you did not receive an invitation to renew in the mail, please request an invitation.

Do these come to your house? If not then I see no need to worry.

runnoft
Premium
join:2003-10-14
Nags Head, NC
kudos:1
reply to PX Eliezer
said by PX Eliezer:

Contact the motor vehicle agency in your state, ya think?

Doesn't hurt to ask, and the answer might vary from one state to another, but I wouldn't be surprised if some state agencies at least would refuse to answer that question.

Individuals have legally recognized privacy rights the state DMV might cite to keep from answering that, even if there's a suspicion of somebody skirting the law or abusing the privilege. Residential addresses probably don't have those same rights.

Yeah, I know, they'd want to know if somebody had given a bogus address to register a car. But are they going to discuss the situation with the OP?

frenchmamaw

@24.191.238.x
reply to what the
No, they do not come to our home but we found out recently that they established a PO Box number in our town before they left the area. We know where they are living and the taxes are much higher there so that is the reason I think they left our address on their registration but the paperwork goes to the PO Box. Would you know of any way we can find out if this is true or should we just go to our local MVD? Thank you for your response.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Reviews:
·AcroVoice
·Callcentric
·Anveo
·Shaw

2 recommendations

I'm unaware of any liability you would assume by someone else providing false information. I suspect that due to privacy concerns, the DMV would not provide information about someone else's registration to you, even if they are using your address.

If it were British Columbia, they may be denied a comprehensive insurance claim if they lied about where the vehicle was stored. That however does not affect you.

Why does this concern you? Is there something in particular that you're worried about?

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to frenchmamaw
I'm with Mango See Profile. If you are not receiving their mail and do not suspect you are the victim of some kind of fraud or crime, then it's really none of your business.

And even if you do get their mail, so what? I still occasionally get mail for the guy who lived in my house before me...and I've been here twelve years.

If it's junk mail...I junk it. If it looks important, I send it back. The end. It never occurred to me to dig deep enough to find out where he pays taxes or if he has a PO box somewhere.

Move along, nothing to see here...
--
»www.twentyfirstsummer.com

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to frenchmamaw
A lot of car insurance company sites will show you a list of cars at your address when getting a quote.

PX Eliezer
Premium
join:2013-03-10
Outland
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·callwithus
·Callcentric
said by TheTechGuru:

A lot of car insurance company sites will show you a list of cars at your address when getting a quote.

True, I experienced this recently.

May depend both on the insurance company and on the rules of the state.

But here in NJ when I started to do quotes with Geico and Progressive, they had full data on all our cars. Not sure if they did that by name or by the street address....

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to frenchmamaw
As far as I know you have to list a physical address with your PO box app. Did they leave your physical address on the box app? If so, you should have just as much access to the PO Box as they do.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts