spc
Search similar:

uniqs
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned)

Will HBO get it now?

Gee you can offer a stand alone streaming option and make money? who knew?

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

"They still kick our ass in profits"

So HBO grosses less but makes a lot more profit? Sounds like their model is better.

/M
elefante72
join:2010-12-03
East Amherst, NY

elefante72

Until your model is disrupted, hence why Netflix is where they are.
HBO gravy train is on the way out.

I am an HBO sub, but get it for free. Sure Verizon must send them a few bones, but not sure that is long-term...

Once Netflix grows to a certain mass they will raise prices and become more profitable.
Cobra11M
join:2010-12-23
Mineral Wells, TX

Cobra11M

well of course.. everyone knows Netflix will eventually hit the $15+ a month easy.. but by that time HBO could be done with, why pay for HBO when you can get Netflix and have original content and other content
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

And it has shown that when Netflix raises prices they do lose customers. They're not adding that much content to even show why they need to charge $15 per month. If they had more original content and such, yes, but currently NOPE! And it won't be for years to come. Hell they only have a few titles from Tyler Perry. Even new titles or ones that are years old- Netflix can't even get.

dnoyeB
Ferrous Phallus
join:2000-10-09
Southfield, MI

dnoyeB to 78036364

to 78036364
Remember HBO started as standalone. They know exactly how to do it. The only reason for them not to do it is because they are getting paid more than they could if they did it. My guess is they are getting a lot of that extra cable money supposedly for all those extra channels. I'm guessing they are getting paid regardless of how many subscriptions they have.

HBOGO is probably just a shot across the bow of the cablecos to remind them to keep paying up.

Just my guess.
dnoyeB

dnoyeB to ITGeeks

to ITGeeks
Right. More like than Netflix raising their rates is HBO dropping theirs and/or going independent. I believe Netflix keeps claiming HBO as their competitor because they want to see them in the marketplace. Netflix is likely driving HBO profits up at the moment.

rothan
Premium Member
join:2000-11-07
Rowley, MA

rothan to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks
said by ITGeeks:

And it has shown that when Netflix raises prices they do lose customers. They're not adding that much content to even show why they need to charge $15 per month. If they had more original content and such, yes, but currently NOPE! And it won't be for years to come. Hell they only have a few titles from Tyler Perry. Even new titles or ones that are years old- Netflix can't even get.

Netflix isn't coming up with Original content? I'd beg to differ with Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, The Fall, etc.