78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

1 recommendation

78036364 (banned) to elray

to elray

Re: Great News!

said by elray:

Does that mean they'll finally offer comparable content?

How do you mean? if you mean newer movies. That's not Netflix fault. The movie studios CHOOSE to fore to make Netflix wait IF they let them have any movies at all.

I also will say HBOGo has less than 300 movies at any one. time FAR fewer than Netflix.

Quality
@68.42.244.x

Quality

Anon

I'll take a smaller movie library with a lot of quality choices over a large one with mostly crap. What gets labeled as quality and crap is obviously subjective but I'll take the selection of movies HBO has over Netflix any day.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to 78036364

to 78036364
No, Netflix CHOOSES not to pay the studios enough money to obtain those titles; if they have surpassed HBO in revenue, then, what's the problem?

DeathK
Premium Member
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH

1 recommendation

DeathK

Premium Member

said by elray:

No, Netflix CHOOSES not to pay the studios enough money to obtain those titles;

That's not the way it works. The big content owners have to be open to their latest stuff being on there. The fact is they aren't. They want to maximize profits and not cannibalize home video sales. To expect Netflix to write blank checks to try to change content owners' minds is utterly ridiculous. The amount they pay for the content they do get is bad enough (and extortion attempts from owners like STARZ is laughable).

I'm sick of people giving content owners a free pass and putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of services like Netflix, Amazon, and Hulu. The content owners dictate what is available, where it's available, and when you can watch it. The buck stops with them (if you remain legal).

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

1 recommendation

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

Don't confuse elray with facts.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to DeathK

Premium Member

to DeathK
While that is true, the amount Netflix is willing to pay for the latest content isn't exactly enticing compared to other avenues. They could get more recent content if they were willing to pay more competitively.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to DeathK

to DeathK
I am the last person to give content owners a free pass - even going so far as to suggest we might need to consider (threaten) legislation to pry content loose and encourage wholesale streaming options.

But the bottom line is just that - Netflix isn't willing to pay.
Until they are, comparing them to HBO is just folly.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to Jim Kirk

to Jim Kirk
eltroll
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to Jim Kirk

to Jim Kirk
Don't confuse Jim Kirk with math.