Silly me

»www.netindex.com/downloa ··· /Canada/
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to lukasc

to lukasc
it would be interesting to see apples to apples comparisons

ie, for the companies that only cherry pick major urban areas, remove the speed tests from rural areas for the rest of the companies

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

that would be silly since the majority lives in or near urban areas and has access to the major internet providers.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by jmck:

that would be silly since the majority lives in or near urban areas and has access to the major internet providers.

One other thing I think Industry Canada should do in their mapping/broadband survey with the Digital Canada 150, is, through contracting competition, select a national speed test provider (contract to be renewed say every 2 to 3 years).

That would allow Industry Canada to map effectively, and have the best possible true understanding of speed. Caps could be documented through the follow up process of taking addresses, and further questions about service.

R

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

These numbers would appear to be based on ookla's speed test results ... I sure wouldn't call them representative.
jumpingryan
join:2008-07-27
Pembroke, ON

jumpingryan

said by sbrook:

These numbers would appear to be based on ookla's speed test results ... I sure wouldn't call them representative.

I looked at them, and it was interesting..... but I don't consider them representative of Canadians either. Like all "surveys", there is often bias on who you ask.

I don't have DSL, or cable internet available... only Turbo Hub LTE. I am supposed in an LTE zone, and considered "well served" by Industry Canada (and therefore not eligible for funding under Digital Canada 150 for upgrades)..... here are my results.
Tikker_LoS
join:2004-04-29
Regina, SK

Tikker_LoS to jmck

to jmck
said by jmck:

not everywhere chief

look out west where half the population is outside of major centers

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by Tikker_LoS:

said by jmck:

not everywhere chief

look out west where half the population is outside of major centers

i understand, but the reality is rural areas will always lag behind in everything (hydro systems, septic tanks instead of city water, slower or no internet, street lights, unpaved roads).

Mike2009
join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
TP-Link Archer C7
Technicolor DCM476
Grandstream HT701

Mike2009 to lukasc

to lukasc
I'm happy with my speeds.

tross
join:2010-06-11

tross to lukasc

to lukasc
The numbers seem to me to be meaningless. They are not representative of what kind of speed someone would be able to obtain from an ISP, but instead represent what their customers decided to pay for.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

That's certainly one of the problems with it!