uniqs
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan

Premium Member

4G Only?

So correct me if I'm wrong, but FreedomPop is Sprint 4G only right? No 3G fallback capability?

BTW great article spamster! Very well written and interesting too!
spamster
join:2009-11-27
Yonkers, NY

spamster

Thanks for the kind words.
The hotspot is 4G, but the Galaxy S4 is LTE.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks

4g is Wimax and LTE- please cite which technology.
spamster
Yonkers, NY

spamster

Honestly, I'm not sure, but I don't really care since the service is free.
iolaire
join:2001-06-29
Arlington, VA

iolaire to AmericanMan

to AmericanMan
On the iPhone 5 and HTC Design 4G it uses both 4G and 3G, I don't know about the pucks.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to spamster

to spamster
You should care and should know as you are the one that wrote the "article" and yet got paid for it. If you are going to at least get paid for what you wrote, you should know the facts.

The Device you have uses WiMax. NOT LTE
ITGeeks

ITGeeks to iolaire

to iolaire
The Puckes use WiMax- it's just not 4G and 3G with two 4G networks. the writer needs to cite which network.
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to ITGeeks

Premium Member

to ITGeeks
Give spamster a break. There is no obligation to give every fact about everything on a subject to write a useful article. If that was the standard nothing would get written anywhere.

The device shown in the picture is a 2012 era photon and it is wimax only. People looking at devices for freedompop need to make sure they know whether the device is wimax or lte, as wimax will disappear at some point and a new device will have to be purchased. Typically, at freedompop, if it says 4g, and doesn't specifically say lte, then it isn't lte. I wouldn't pay a lot for such a device this late in the game, as wimax is essentially dead, but if one can get a good deal, as in the article, then it could still be worth doing as long as one looks at the coverage map carefully and is sure wimax service is available in their location (wimax coverage isn't all that extensive).

Thanks for the article spamster.
spamster
Yonkers, NY

spamster

Thanks for your support. I was very lucky to get the 2 Photons I got for $15. Sometimes it pays to be on mailing lists.
AmericanMan
Premium Member
united state

AmericanMan to asdfdfdfdfdf

Premium Member

to asdfdfdfdfdf
Thanks...so both Wimax and Sprint LTE aren't out where I'm at (the Sprint tower is supposed to be upgraded sometime soon though), so for now I'll have to hold off on FreedomPop.

Good to know though for the future!
asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium Member
join:2012-05-09

asdfdfdfdfdf to AmericanMan

Premium Member

to AmericanMan
Freedompop is on sprint. The free service has no 3g fallback but there are paid plans that have 4g and 3g as freedompop first added sprint's 3g coverage to their service before the lte rollout. The least expensive of these is $3.99 for 500MB. I don't know the details about whether there are additional limitations for the 3g use that are different from the 4g. You would need to look into that carefully as there could be some gotchas there. Also devices like the overdrive pro(not to be confused with the overdrive) are wimax and 3g capable, not lte capable, so the device might have to be replaced to get lte service when it becomes available.

Given the poor reputation of the sprint 3g network you should probably hold off if all you have available is sprint 3g right now.
AmericanMan
Premium Member
united state

AmericanMan

Premium Member

Thanks for the advice!

Yeah we're on grandfathered unlimited Sprint right now, and the tower has issues sometimes but lately it's been pretty darned good. Going to hold off on FreedomPop for now, since it's not really going to get us much it seems.