All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
usafa83
join:2014-08-07

usafa83

I know, I'm stupid, a simple question

I have Brighthouse internet and signal is weak in some places in the home. I ran an ethernet cable through the attic to the farthest room so my son can run his xbox off it, in other words "get internet". Is there some easy way to use that hard wire in the same room for basic wireless so I can actually use a laptop?

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

1 edit

Bill_MI

MVM

It's called a network SWITCH and you'll need 2 more network cables. The switch gets the existing cable and a cable for each device. Since the typical small switch has 5 ports there will be 3 used (internet, xbox, laptop) and 2 open for the future. Does that help?

Simple questions are always asked by future experts.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't catch you wanted wireless there. Adding an AP will certainly do that. Good Luck!
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill to usafa83

to usafa83
said by usafa83:

I have Brighthouse internet and signal is weak in some places in the home. I ran an ethernet cable through the attic to the farthest room so my son can run his xbox off it, in other words "get internet". Is there some easy way to use that hard wire in the same room for basic wireless so I can actually use a laptop?

its actually called a wireless access point, an old router can be used, but there are some settings that need to be changed
usafa83

usafa83

Soooo, if I understand correctly I can set up a router as an access point by following some of the instructions I see around here, then just stick a cable from the back into the xbox?
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

high level yes

you would turn off the dhcp server on the router,

then you would plug the wire coming from the original router in the other room into one of the SWITCH ports not the wan (internet) port.

plug the xbox into another one of the switch ports

and as long as the wireless is configured on this router you should be all set and everything will be on the same network

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin to usafa83

MVM

to usafa83
Get something like the TrendNet TEW-750DAP. It is an Access Point that will extend your wireless, and also has four network ports on the back. Plug the xbox cable into it, connect another cable from it to the xbox, and then configure the wireless. Not too difficult.

»smile.amazon.com/TRENDne ··· w-750dap

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

1 edit

natedj to usafa83

Premium Member

to usafa83
Since you already ran Ethernet in the attic, you can install a Ubiquiti access point and mount it to the ceiling and connect it to the Ethernet in the attic. Its powered thru the ethernet, so no unsightly cables and it will blend in nicely with any room and provide wifi access to that side of the house and for all devices within a 100' radius. You'll need to get a wifi adaper for the xBox though, if you don't already have one.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia to usafa83

Premium Member

to usafa83
Got an old router? Use it as an AP. Process varies per router, maybe I can give you more info if you want to do this and tell me the model of the old router in question. You are far from stupid. You may not be a techie like some of us but that does make you stupid. Stupid are those who don't seek knowledge, want everything automated, don't give a rats ass about what they can do themselves or security(but still insist on running a virus and spam machine err I mean computer for Facebook), and hire us for simple tasks like running a wire like money is going out of style. You have already shown you don't fit that category by posting your questions here.

natedj
Elected
Premium Member
join:2001-06-06
Irmo, SC

natedj

Premium Member

said by Selenia:

You are far from stupid. You may not be a techie like some of us but that does make you stupid.

usafa83

usafa83

well you guys/gals have me all pumped up with confidence, so I bought a cheap router and will give it a try. Wish me luck! I appreciate the help

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Just make sure you disable NAT. Double NAT=bad news for performance. Some routers can't turn it off, in that case, disable DHCP and plug the cable into one of the LAN ports as you only want one DHCP server to the LAN.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to usafa83

Premium Member

to usafa83
»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ »Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point