All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
baess
join:2011-01-28

baess

[Cust Svc] A knock on the door from Comcast

My city has two cable providers, WOW and Comcast. I subscribe to WOW. Today the doorbell rang and it was a Comcast salesperson. First time I ever recall that happening.

He was frank and said that Comcast has lost a lot of customers to WOW and they want them back. He really didn't have that great an offer so I doubt I will switch but I found it interesting that Comcast is actively trying to get business. A few years ago I was seriously considering switching and when I finally found a number to call and inquire if a salesperson could come out I was practically laughed off the phone. The rep said I needed to do it all myself online. I guess things change when you are losing business.
Comcast Guy
join:2008-01-16
Harrisburg, PA

Comcast Guy

[Cust Svc] Re: A knock on the door from Comcast

Door-to-door sales are nothing new. They do this all over the place. They have better deals than normal channels and are actually far more successful than you'd think!
baess

baess

said by Comcast Guy:

Door-to-door sales are nothing new. They do this all over the place. They have better deals than normal channels and are actually far more successful than you'd think!

Not here they didn't. Not in 15 years. Only now when they are losing customers do they come door to door.

Like I said when I was thinking about switching Comcast laughed at me when I asked for a salesperson to come out.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44

Premium Member

They have always done this thruout all the systems. Its just the first time they made contact with you. The we have lost lots of customers line is just a common sales tactic. In the cities they usually go around every few months. In suburban areas it might go a couple of years. The sales person gets a green sheet with every address listed. If you have service they go by the address. If you dont they try to make contact and sell the service.
hydrogen3
join:2014-08-01
Gaithersburg, MD

hydrogen3

I've never seen a Comcast sales person... Interesting.
Expand your moderator at work
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to hydrogen3

Premium Member

to hydrogen3

[Cust Svc] Re: A knock on the door from Comcast

You probably already have comcast or you live in the suburbs. Cities see them guys all the time. I dont see them either. But i know about 40 people or so that has done it thru the years as a living. Most of the guys that go door to door are contractors and drive normal cars. But if the direct sales team gets slow they send them out to do it also. Phone CSRs have no say over these guys. These guys generally work off whats called a green bar. Its a computer printout with thousands of addresses which results in maybe not the most efficient way of reaching everyone.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to baess

Premium Member

to baess
said by baess:

...Today the doorbell rang and it was a Comcast salesperson. First time I ever recall that happening....

Around here, AT&T door to door sales people are very common. So common as to be annoying.

I'm thinking of hanging a "No AT&T sales people allowed" on my gate....

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by camper:

Around here, AT&T door to door sales people are very common. So common as to be annoying.

I'm thinking of hanging a "No AT&T sales people allowed" on my gate....

My city has a STRICT "no soliciting" ordinance: must be licensed with the city and must adhere to posted No Soliciting signs. AT&T is probably the worst violator. Their favorite response is always "we're not soliciting; we're SURVEYING .."

Camper, if you do that sign be sure to have it read "No AT&T sales people or SURVEYORS allowed" .
baess

baess to rody_44

to rody_44
said by rody_44:

They have always done this thruout all the systems. Its just the first time they made contact with you. The we have lost lots of customers line is just a common sales tactic. In the cities they usually go around every few months. In suburban areas it might go a couple of years. The sales person gets a green sheet with every address listed. If you have service they go by the address. If you dont they try to make contact and sell the service.

Yes I guess you know better than me who comes to my door or through my neighborhood.

nadams5755
join:2001-11-13
San Jose, CA

nadams5755

they've been coming to my door like every quarter (same w/ at&t for uverse) since i moved here in 2009.

i made the change from wow to comcast for at least a little while.
rody_44
Premium Member
Quakertown, PA

1 edit

rody_44 to baess

Premium Member

to baess
I didnt say they actually came to your door. I said im sure they were in your neighborhood. They get thousands of addresses at a time. Its not exactly a efficient way of reaching everyone. What i said is comcast does it nationwide and they do. They have contractors that actually travel from state to state doing it and have for at least ten years.
rody_44

1 edit

rody_44 to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Thats a common complaint about a lot of places that have no soliciting. The problem is there really isnt a huge penalty for ignoring it. This isnt a comcast specific issue. It reaches across pretty well all cable tv and internet providers. The only place i see it adhered to at all is private developments. I no longer work for comcast. I work for another cable provider building out new developments and they are often no soliciting. The competition which is RCN follows me from development to development trying to lock customers in before i get the new provider up. They have no problem knocking on doors even when there is a big sign saying no soliciting and its a private development. I get to hear the complaints every day how they ignore no soliciting signs.

It takes me on average of about 2 to 3 months to build out a 200 home development. By the time im done they have most locked up in two year contracts. I just tell the people remember in two years we are why you received that 80 dollar triple play.