dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Hahutzy
join:2013-02-14

Hahutzy

Which TPIA does FTTN DSL in downtown Toronto?

I've talked to Start and TekSavvy on multiple occasions, and it seems that they're never available in my area.

I need the fast upload speed (10 mbps).

Who else should I call up and ask?

This is near Dundas Square btw.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

Doesn't matter who you call, if it's not available at your address they'll all tell you the same. That said, it's worth getting it verified properly. It could be that you don't qualify for the full 10mbps up because the line quality is such that you can only get 6mbps up or some such. Bhell generally won't connect under 7mbps up. Sometimes you can get an order pushed through anyway as long as you understand that's going to be the case.

It could be you're just too far away, could also be that due to commercial nature of the area there isn't much demand for them to upgrade. I'm just speculating though.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_ to Hahutzy

Premium Member

to Hahutzy
None as TPIA is cable internet.

DSL is called GAS or HSE.

----

Call up Bell and get qualified that way and if you can get qualified take service from them for a month, this way the database will be updated an than switch to a IISP if you want.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

LazMan to Hahutzy

Premium Member

to Hahutzy
Two possibilities, depending on the specific building you're in.

First off - some of the Condo developments have specific agreements for service with various providers (TELUS in CityPlace, Beanfield in some other condo's, for instance)... So there may not be access available.

Second, and more likely option - the downtown area of Toronto is a mess of overlays from 3 different wire centres (Asquith, Simcoe, and Adelaide CO's) - I've had cases where one side of the street was fed from one CO, and close enough for DSL, and the other side was fed from a different CO, and was too far...

It's entirely possible you're just out of range for DSL - and there aren't many OPI/Stinger/7330 deployments in the downtown core, for a variety of reasons (difficult to install, high vandalism rates, poor RoI)

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Hahutzy

Premium Member

to Hahutzy
Beanfield Metro Connect

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers to Hahutzy

Anon

to Hahutzy
said by Hahutzy:

I've talked to Start and TekSavvy on multiple occasions, and it seems that they're never available in my area.

I need the fast upload speed (10 mbps).

Who else should I call up and ask?

This is near Dundas Square btw.

Why do you need a fast upload?

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Because not everybody is content with speeds from the 90s?

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to smogers

to smogers
because Skype, BOOM now please drop this topic since it's bordering trolling