spc
Search similar:

uniqs

smogers
@108.170.167.x

5 recommendations

smogers

Anon

What is with the requests for faster uploads?

People with 5mbit or 10mbit uploads already want something faster, why?
Do they think it will improve gaming or something?
People have lived for years on DSL with a 640 or 800 kbit upload and didn't die from it why the big push now for upload speeds?
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy

I wanted faster uploads since dialup. One of the most common reasons is probably uploading video to youtube.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Why wouldn't you want faster?

Everything is increasing data volume, what would have worked on 640k won't work now, as download speeds increase, so does the overall overhead as well.

People are also doing more and more from home that they couldn't before, crash-plan, Dropbox, live streaming of games, working from home etc etc etc, the list goes on and on, all of these benefit from larger upload limits.

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir to smogers

to smogers
said by smogers :

People with 5mbit or 10mbit uploads already want something faster, why?
Do they think it will improve gaming or something?
People have lived for years on DSL with a 640 or 800 kbit upload and didn't die from it why the big push now for upload speeds?

lol.. man ....

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

2 recommendations

Guspaz to smogers

MVM

to smogers
Sync to Dropbox/Google Drive/Apple iCloud/SkyDrive/etc. faster. Backup to the cloud faster. Send attachments faster. Stream higher quality video to other people. Seed more. Host game servers better. Serve up files better. There could be any number of reasons why people want faster upstream.

damir
CANADA

damir

there u go

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to smogers

to smogers
turd alert.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman to smogers

to smogers
who is requesting faster uploads?

We lived with 128kbps and 640kbps WAYYY too long. 7/10mbit reallllly made a difference, IMO anything less than 2mbit upload is useless in a shared home setting, as 1 person using the uplink is a major slowdown for everyone else on the network.

damir
CANADA

damir

lol.

cloudiness
@195.154.226.x

cloudiness to smogers

Anon

to smogers
Faster upload is needed for cloud services so NSA can get your data faster. Another reason is your content on could is not yours anymore i.e. if you upload your ripped video / audio collection to cloud and could owners are in bed with copyright trolls these copyright trolls will know exactly who to sue - YOU.

I've never had any social netowrk account as well as no clouds except my own. It is going to stand like that for as long as it is possible.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

donoreo to Guspaz

Premium Member

to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

Sync to Dropbox/Google Drive/Apple iCloud/SkyDrive/etc. faster. Backup to the cloud faster. Send attachments faster. Stream higher quality video to other people. Seed more. Host game servers better. Serve up files better. There could be any number of reasons why people want faster upstream.

I had never given thought to faster sync for Dropbox, etc. I always wondered myself why people were looking for faster uploads. I never upload anything that takes very long anyway so I do not relate.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to smogers

MVM

to smogers
If you are a user of BackBlaze (and for the prices they charge, everybody should be, I just wish I qualified since my files are all on my server), and you've got a 4TB hard disk that is half full, then it would take 310 days for your initial backup to complete with 640k of upstream.

If you had a 20 meg upstream, it would take about 10 days.

Even something as simple as sending a photo by e-mail can benefit.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Click for full size
The internet in Canada is too damn slow.
bigMc
join:2014-01-15

bigMc to smogers

to smogers
Click for full size
usage
As long as internet users can max out there upload speed, then they will need faster connection. I for one can't wait until my WAN speed is equal my LAN speed. My 5Meg upload is maxed out 24/7.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to smogers

to smogers
I want faster upload for better Skype call quality for my kids and their grandparents.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict to bigMc

to bigMc
online backups?
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to smogers

to smogers
I store a lot of stuff (encrypted client-side) in "the cloud". The faster the upload, the better. The best I can get (and have) is 10Mbps up for now. That's still slow if you're uploading a gigabyte. Thankfully I rarely have to upload large amounts of data at the same time.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to smogers

to smogers
I think the general public doesn't realize what a difference faster upload makes as people shift to hosted services (the term "cloud" is so overused...).

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

said by HeadSpinning:

I think the general public doesn't realize what a difference faster upload makes as people shift to hosted services (the term "cloud" is so overused...).

i think in Ontario too we've also been beat down with a stick when it's come to faster uploads after being stuck on 800Kbit-1Mbit/sec from Rogers since they first introduced Rogers Wave back in 96 until just recently with their speed upgrades last year (remember 75/1 package?).
analog andy
join:2005-01-03
Surrey, BC

analog andy to smogers

to smogers
Well uploading say 10BG of game maps into a new server on 1mbit up sucks ass.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to smogers

to smogers
Im like the OP, I cant get my head around it either, but I don't game or use hosted services. I pretty much only use my internet to come on dslr nowadays lol

TOPDAWG
Premium Member
join:2005-04-27
Calgary, AB

TOPDAWG to smogers

Premium Member

to smogers
Cause I want faster speeds the end. you pay for the package you want I'll pay for the one I want. I want faster upload cause I damn well want it.

I don't care about your needs.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Why wouldn't you want faster?

Everything is increasing data volume, what would have worked on 640k won't work now, as download speeds increase, so does the overall overhead as well.

People are also doing more and more from home that they couldn't before, crash-plan, Dropbox, live streaming of games, working from home etc etc etc, the list goes on and on, all of these benefit from larger upload limits.

Which is nonsense. The only reason is pron.

kragop
join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

kragop to smogers

to smogers
Personally, me and my friends use iCloud services for school mostly. So, we are sending assignments back and forth. One video assignment i did was over 100mb to upload, this is where faster speeds come into play.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to smogers

Premium Member

to smogers
Ever used CrashPlan? Then you will know why you need all the upload you can get. I take data loss seriously and having a backup in the cloud means I can pull that back down whenever, wherever. Have fun doing that on 800Kbps up! You're better off seeding the backup with a spare HDD than waiting for that measily upload to do its thing.

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

Couldn't agree more....Especially about the last part. Buzzword from 2012 and still going strong
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes

said by d4m1r:

said by HeadSpinning:

Couldn't agree more....Especially about the last part. Buzzword from 2012 and still going strong

Remember the first incarnation of Microsoft's "dot-net"? No I'm not talking about the programing environment, but rather the concept that Windows computers would be glorified dumb terminals? All your data and apps were supposed to be stored on host servers. This was before "the cloud" was even a buzzword.