how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cableties
Premium
join:2005-01-27

1 recommendation

[Electrical] Interesting Outlet covers...

Friend sent me link as I am big on LED task and accent lighting...

»www.snappower.com/pages/about-guidelights

I can't really use these as I tape all outlet side screws over (to protect from shorts or accidental issues).
These appear to have rare earth magnets that contact the hot and common side screws.

Clever. Not cheap. $15 for one. Ouch. Should have looked at price first
--
Splat

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
Love it.

I love patent language, too. the patented "Power Extractors"

StephenRC

join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL
reply to cableties
They are nice and keeps both outlets free. I got 5 from their Kickstarter. No magnets on mine, they're spring loaded.

foo11223344

join:2004-01-09
Tarrytown, NY
reply to cableties
There's a tiny rectifier in there to convert 120VAC to low voltage DC for the LEDs and light sensor (and probably an opamp to sense when the light level falls low enough to turn on the LEDs)?

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to cableties
I thought is you use tape you must be doing something wrong? Electrical tape is used fof everything but electric.

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
kudos:1
reply to cableties
they look awesome, i tape too, but you should be able to install under the tape

15 is pricy though, but i can see it being useful

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to cableties
It says available summer of '14 as if the websight is old.... but they are selling now? Do the ones that ordered them like?

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
reply to cableties
Remodel/cut-in boxes should also be interesting - I wonder what the breakage percentage is when trying to jam them in those (assuming that the receptacles aren't taped, which would be close to a miracle for the metal boxes).

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
why would a old work box be a issue, the tie into the walls don't affect the outlets, no reason why it won't work

Red_Menace
poking around since 1978

join:2001-11-03
Littleton, CO
The spacing is a bit tighter (why most tape around the receptacle), but the ears on the plate look like they stick out quite a bit.

jjoshua
Premium
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ
kudos:3
reply to cableties
Live current flowing thought the outlet cover? No thanks.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to cableties
Legrand has those too with their Adorne series:

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to cableties
I don't know what worries me more, current on the cover or people using tape on outlet screws...

enon

@216.108.224.x
said by jjoshua:

Live current flowing thought the outlet cover? No thanks.

said by AVonGauss:

I don't know what worries me more, current on the cover or people using tape on outlet screws...

In this thread: people afraid of something they don't understand. There's no current flowing through the outlet cover. Well, not unless you plug something in. Then there technically is current flowing through the cover. /pedant

The LEDs are fed by the tangs on the inside of the cover. The cover itself is an insulator: usual household voltage and current would not be sufficient to overcome it's resistance.

The device is UL listed in both the US and CA.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
I understand the design just fine, that doesn't mean I think its a great or even a good idea.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to AVonGauss
The reason you put tape on the outlet screws is so that it doesn't short out the box when you go to remove it just in case. I've seen a couple houses that had live circuits stay on after you turn off the appropriate breaker or fuse.

enon

@66.87.80.x
said by sk1939:

The reason you put tape on the outlet screws is so that it doesn't short out the box when you go to remove it just in case. I've seen a couple houses that had live circuits stay on after you turn off the appropriate breaker or fuse.

This is generally because the device is part of a multi wire branch ckt, or less frequently, a split wire device. In either case, you're going to want to open all breakers/fuses feeding any part of that ckt before proceeding with any work, obviating the need for tape. If either of these two terms are unfamiliar, one probably shouldn't be touching their home's wiring.

The only purpose tape wrapped around a device serves is an indicator to professional tradesman that an amateur has been tinkering with things.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13
Every time I've run across a receptacle wrapped in electrical tape, the adhesive is so degraded that it all just falls off at the slightest touch.

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to cableties
Interesting. It is a UL listed device:

Guidelights

I don't think there is much to worry about here. Not sure, however, that I will be installing them in my home anytime soon.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

2 recommendations

reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

If there is still power on the outlet You Obviously Didn't Turn off the Appropriate Breaker!
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans

join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
First house my parents bought, was built in 1830. Wiring installed in 1910, there were two lines that were fed directly from the meter at the post. When the house was rewired, they had to get Ontario Hydro to come in and disconnect the mast. Sometimes there just isn't a breaker, a lot of really screwed up stuff happened back in the days of K&T. The electrical code didn't come into use here in Canada until 1927.
--
The Art of War
"Excessive law is no law." - Cicero
The man who fed the world

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
reply to Msradell
At the same time, you shouldn't have to turn off two breakers for a non-MWBC device.

smogers

@108.170.167.x
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

Seems you have some bad wiring you should fix rather then just tape up.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by smogers :

said by sk1939:

Seems you have some bad wiring you should fix rather then just tape up.

Not my house fortunately, this was found in the process of fixing it up.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to cableties
I can think of 100's of scenarios where these will not work. In fact, I would say the only place they are good for is a newer house with PVC boxes (no mud rings).
They are overpriced anyway, so it's kind of a moot point.
--
...or the sheriff will grab ya and the boys will bring you down. The next thing you know, boy - oh you're prison bound...

Hellrazor
Bah Humbug

join:2002-02-02
Abyss, PA
Reviews:
·Service Electric..
reply to enon
said by enon :

The only purpose tape wrapped around a device serves is an indicator to professional tradesman that an amateur has been tinkering with things.

Thats an interesting quote since the IBEW electrician, with about 40 years of commercial/industrial experience, we used at work 10 years ago did this on every outlet or switch he worked on. Mostly because he did everything hot and made it impossible to short things out against the box when installing or removing something.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter
reply to Msradell
I went on a service call years ago to replace an element in an electric water heater. We found the panel and proceeded to turn off the power. Breakers were not labeled so we :

Turn off 30 amp 2 pole breakers one by one, nothing
Turn off all 2 pole breakers, nothing
Turn off main breaker, nothing
Pulled the meter, nothing

So we left scratching our heads.

applerule

join:2012-12-23
Mars Hill, NC
Reviews:
·US Cellular
·Frontier Communi..
·Millenicom
reply to StephenRC
said by StephenRC:

They are nice and keeps both outlets free. I got 5 from their Kickstarter. No magnets on mine, they're spring loaded.

How do you like them? I've thought about getting some myself. I have a newer house so I don't think compatibility will be a problem. They are cheaper than getting the led outlets and look better too...

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to cableties
They're probably using a diode to make 120VDC at a 30Hz pulse just like LED Christmas lights which is a very annoying flicker.

StephenRC

join:2013-11-02
Satellite Beach, FL
reply to applerule
The 3 leds light up the bathroom just enough and don't flicker. They have a light sensor, so they're off until starts to get dark. The covers go on one way with the leds on the outlet ground prong side. I have the ones for the plain ol' duplexes. They won't work on a gfi outlet.