Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram to dhudson1984

Premium Member

to dhudson1984

Re: Operation GigaSpeed!

Thanks for the info, and the link.

I think the best news out of that post, is the lowest tier will be 200mbit. They mention its 15mbit now.

As for 1g, sadly, even with 3.1 the upstream speeds will not be symmetrical like fiber can be.

I look forward to 3.1 being deployed in the next few years.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

15 megs isn't their lowest tier, just their most popular one (denoted by the term 'flagship', lol).

It's interesting news, but it's been in their financial reports for awhile if you read through them all, just never called out by name. The reality of it is likely to be 1 gig speeds in competitive markets while most other get in the 300-500 range. Upload speeds will be hilariously off axis still. Not even the fact that it can't be symmetrical at that high of a speed, but that SL can't or won't match competitors such as Comcast who offer far faster upload speeds in the same tiers (basically).

Of interest will also be the price. When the 300 plan comes to ANY other market, that should really give us a glimpse as to the cost of a gig speed on a cable network.

motorola870
join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX

motorola870

hmm they will lucky if they can pull it off lol! a lot of Suddenlink systems are still 550MHz and can barely support adding more HD and VOD, and DOCSIS 3.0. I think the only areas that are going to get DOCSIS 3.0 at 32 downstream bonding or a mix of DOCSIS 3.0 16 or 24 downstream and a mix of DOCSIS 3.1 channels is going to be the 750MHz or 860MHz and that is mainly the former NPG cable, Cox, and Charter systems lol!