Search similar:

uniqs

MissAngelica
@98.201.6.x

MissAngelica

Anon

[Networking] Mysterious towers in Houston suburb

Click for full size
These antennas have been going up in my neighborhood, I guess about 20 of them all in residential areas in a 3 mile radius. I pulled the planning application from County Hall, but it is all about the actual construction and doesn't describe the intended use. Apparently the thing on top is a 700MHz dual band omni antenna, the box at the bottom is an ION M7P. Construction is by Crown Castle, Verizon is the client.

Anyone know what these things actually do? One guy heard they were "fiber optic nodes".

Most importantly, could I be getting a new broadband option?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Probably not broadband. More like wireless replacement for copper POTS. Just a guess.

xrayman
join:2008-12-09
Kansas City

xrayman to MissAngelica

to MissAngelica
Could be this: Verizon to deploy LTE femtocells, small cells
»www.fiercewireless.com/s ··· 12-03-05

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to MissAngelica

to MissAngelica
looks like a HOME FUSION cantenna... (now called LTE INTERNET)

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Juniper SRX320

sk1939 to MissAngelica

Premium Member

to MissAngelica
Xrayman is spot on, it's a small cell tower. You can read all about the details of it here:

»www.commscope.com/Docs/I ··· 1136.pdf

MissAngelica
@166.137.209.x

MissAngelica

Anon

Yes guys, I have Google as well.

I was hoping someone might know what these things actually do, and what new products might be available to me once they are deployed?

I like the HomeFusion answer but 10GB seems way too low for a residential service?
kevnich24
join:2006-04-19
Mulberry, FL

kevnich24

said by MissAngelica :

I was hoping someone might know what these things actually do, and what new products might be available to me once they are deployed?

I like the HomeFusion answer but 10GB seems way too low for a residential service?

xrayman posted the most likely application for what the antenna is for. It's a femtocell or micro cell.

Verizon and other carrier's goal is to scale down the size of their cell tower's into smaller, more numerous tower's to help with scale and speed. No new products will be made available due to this. This is just to help with customer experience on LTE for data services.
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to MissAngelica

to MissAngelica
said by MissAngelica :

These mini towers will be put in areas of high population. Not rural areas where people are more likely to use Homefusion. Homefusion is not meant to be competition for cable/fiber/DSL. Wireless is not a replacement for REAL internet.

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

Jack in VA

Premium Member

said by 78036364:

Wireless is not a replacement for REAL internet.

It is when it's the only game in town except for satellite.
FixManTx
Premium Member
join:2005-02-06
Saint Paul, MN

FixManTx to MissAngelica

Premium Member

to MissAngelica
I've seen these around the Twin Cities area as well and wondered what they are. Mystery solved...thanks!!

mitchell
join:2002-06-21
Darlington, SC

mitchell to MissAngelica

to MissAngelica
Aha!!! I see three (there maybe more) have been installed in and around of Florence SC One is directly in-front of a local technical college. that is kinda strange because there is a cell tower across the 4 lane highway from this device. There is a large (painted brown) box at the base of the antenna..

Mitchell
brad152
join:2006-07-27
Chicago, IL

brad152 to MissAngelica

to MissAngelica
I know it's listed at 700MHz, but i wonder if they're putting AWS in there as well because that would just be silly if they were not considering AWS is where they have the actual bandwidth to do something.

AnonDude
@charter.com

AnonDude to mitchell

Anon

to mitchell
said by mitchell:

Aha!!! I see three (there maybe more) have been installed in and around of Florence SC One is directly in-front of a local technical college. that is kinda strange because there is a cell tower across the 4 lane highway from this device. There is a large (painted brown) box at the base of the antenna..

Mitchell

Not strange at all. A cell tower has 3 sectors each sector can only handle 400 simultaneous users. So in populated area a cell tower is not enough. This mini/macro towers help.