join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall

Premium Member

Wireless Receivers With Only Gateway(no access point) Coming! - Confirmed

Click for full size
I was looking at the setup page for my ISB7005 after the latest update and it now shows this interesting page. Notice how it says either connect it to your access point if you have one or your gateway.

"Looks at Arris NVG599 and Pace 5268AC"

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer

Premium Member

Thanks for the information. Not the option for a wired only gateway with a separate access point information, but for exposing the apparent design flaw that requires U-verse TV service to use WPS. Knowing that, I now know that even in the extremely unlikely event that AT&T should allow VRAD connectivity to my apartment, I would now never be tempted to try it (at least not with one of their wireless STBs).

WPS (like UPnP and ActiveX on an Internet connection) is an abomination that should have never been allowed to exist.

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
The new ac models will be heading to gigapower Austin, Dallas first. Would expect most markets to see either 4th quarter 2014 or 1st quarter 2015.

Appears the 589 will be the go to replacement of 3800, 3801 for single pair installs/repairs with 599 for new higher bonded speeds (45, 75, 100, 300, 1G).

As quantity increases, will probably see more common usage next summer unless the 589 is dropped altogether.
With close to 6 million IPTV accounts guessing 1/2 to 2/3rds with wireless access points, no an overnight swap.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by my thoughts :

The new ac models will be heading to gigapower Austin, Dallas first. Would expect most markets to see either 4th quarter 2014 or 1st quarter 2015.

I figured so. Do you know what one will be the main one used or will it be random? The Pace looks like it is more of a powerful candidate.
said by my thoughts :

Appears the 589 will be the go to replacement of 3800, 3801 for single pair installs/repairs with 599 for new higher bonded speeds (45, 75, 100, 300, 1G).

I wonder how much trouble it will be for people like me who are on coax for the VDSL2 connection. It'll probably end up with a lot of people receiving gateways that don't work. They should have provided a coax to RJ-11 jack or something with the replacement kits lol. You mention the NVG599 for the higher tiers, but what about the Pace version? Will it be forgotten?

my thoughts
@24.209.161.x

my thoughts

Anon

I am but a lowly PT (corporal) in the army that is AT&T. Would have no direct knowledge of the planning of upper level officers, just observations based on past events.

The Motorola is the apparent heir to the 589 kingdom, while the pace model likely replacement for the current 5168 used in adsl2+ bonded territory.

For those restricted to coax feed, with no ability to move to cat5, an option of using double baluns to feed the RG may be considered. This is a service call, but as all future seems to be away from coax to either Ethernet IPTV receivers or wireless receivers... Coax of any type being used is limited unless DirectTv deal approved.
premtrekker
join:2014-06-23
canada

premtrekker

said by my thoughts :

For those restricted to coax feed, with no ability to move to cat5, an option of using double baluns to feed the RG may be considered. This is a service call, but as all future seems to be away from coax to either Ethernet IPTV receivers or wireless receivers... Coax of any type being used is limited unless DirectTv deal approved.

This is definitely an option, however most managers would probably discipline a PT for using a double balun setup. Not to mention if you have STB running on coax then you would need double diplexers too..

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U

Premium Member

I fed a 3600 once, a long time ago now, on double baluns. It works, but not ideal

Darknessfall
Premium Member

Darknessfall

Premium Member

I'm still curious of how all of this ISP 5 GHz gear will clutter the 5 GHz band even more considering that you guys are saying that the NVG599 will become the new higher tier device.

Mr Fel
INTJ - The Architect
Premium Member
join:2008-03-17
Louisville, KY
Asus RT-N66

Mr Fel

Premium Member

Clutter is bound to happen as AC starts making gains in the market. With 80MHz & 40MHz channels being drawn on one network putting similar strains on 5GHz as just the limited number of nonoverlapping 2.4GHZ channels. Plenty of bandwidth has been freed up on 5GHz, poised to be eaten right back up by conflicts in unmanaged high AP count areas. I'll gladly enjoy the band for now while I don't have any competition for channels.

Borrowed image from »www.zdnet.com/the-five-t ··· 0017112/

Darknessfall
Premium Member
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

Darknessfall

Premium Member

said by Mr Fel:

Clutter is bound to happen as AC starts making gains in the market. With 80MHz & 40MHz channels being drawn on one network putting similar strains on 5GHz as just the limited number of nonoverlapping 2.4GHZ channels. Plenty of bandwidth has been freed up on 5GHz, poised to be eaten right back up by conflicts in unmanaged high AP count areas. I'll gladly enjoy the band for now while I don't have any competition for channels.

Borrowed image from »www.zdnet.com/the-five-t ··· 0017112/

Right now in my neighborhood:-
Asus RT-N66 = 36+40(me)
Motorola VAP2500 = 161+157(me)
Motorola VAP2500 = 132+136
Motorola VAP2500 = 112+108
Cisco VEN401 = 157+161
Cisco VEN401 = 157+161
Cisco VEN401 = 157+161
Belkin F9K1105 = 36+40
Wii = 36+40(on and off)

That's the networks I can see from my house. Some aren't always in range though and are spotty. The highest signals other than mine at my house are the two other VAP2500s and the first VEN401.