sammoats
Premium Member
join:2014-02-16
Winchester, VA

2 edits

sammoats

Premium Member

CircleNet issue

CircleNet had an issue with our Atlanta server this morning, we pushed traffic to the California server while we worked it and the issue should now be resolved. In case anyone was curious to the reason it looks like an attempted denial of service attack but it has been mitigated.

Sam
iamhere
join:2013-01-26
canada

iamhere

Sam, just want to say that I think it's great that you post updates here and twitter.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1

Premium Member

Agreed, it is great that you jump on things quickly.
VoIP2Go
join:2013-12-14

VoIP2Go to sammoats

to sammoats
I hope that your transparency is noted by the community and that your business thrives because of it

Were you caught in the crossfire of an attack on someone else in the same data center or was it a SIP attack directed specifically at you?

sammoats
Premium Member
join:2014-02-16
Winchester, VA

sammoats

Premium Member

Thanks!, we weren't the target. The damage to us was the result of blowback from our IPs being spoofed as source addresses for an attack somewhere else.

arpawocky
Premium Member
join:2014-04-13
Columbus, OH

arpawocky

Premium Member

said by sammoats:

Thanks!, we weren't the target. The damage to us was the result of blowback from our IPs being spoofed as source addresses for an attack somewhere else.

Don't ya just love UDP?
VoIP2Go
join:2013-12-14

VoIP2Go

It's not really the vulnerability of UDP that I worry about, it's the incredible speed with which your data center or up-stream provider pulls the plug on you. You can't really blame them - it's self preservation. As long as you know how they will behave in advance, you can prepare for when it happens.

The data centers I use take on average 4-8 hours to mitigate attacks (I monitor their performance) and because all my Customers take advantage of DNS SRV Records, they are never affected by a single data center outage.

The great thing about using a small provider like Circlenet is that they are highly unlikely to be the direct target of an attack. Sam has already shown that he can handle indirect attacks professionally, so there's not really too much for his Customers to worry about in the DDoS department.