spc
Search similar:

uniqs

arandomguy
@71.164.252.x

arandomguy

Anon

[Networking] Connecting ASUS router while running Fios on Coax

Long story short we have AT&T and verizon and AT&T is using our cat5 so my verizon is forced to run on coax. The verizon router is pure garbage and I only get 2/3 of the speed that I have signed up for. I was wondering how can I connect my Asus router to the Fios modem because all the posts and threads that I've read says switch to cat5. Sorry I'm a bit confused and trying to figure this out.

Thank you

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Which service(s) is verizon providing? TV and/or internet?
Is AT&T also providing internet?

flatline_
join:2003-01-18

flatline_ to arandomguy

to arandomguy
»Verizon FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to arandomguy

MVM

to arandomguy
said by arandomguy :

AT&T is using our cat5

So run another cat5.
said by arandomguy :

how can I connect my Asus router to the Fios modem

It's a router, not a modem.
said by arandomguy :

I only get 2/3 of the speed that I have signed up for.

Wired or wireless? If wired, there is something wrong with your setup.
said by arandomguy :

we have AT&T and verizon

Who is providing what services? Do you have FIOS-TV?
said by arandomguy :

all the posts and threads that I've read says switch to cat5

cat5 from the ONT is the preferred approach if you want to run your own router as primary.

arandomguy
@71.164.252.x

arandomguy to birdfeedr

Anon

to birdfeedr
I am just using verizon fios internet. AT&T is also providing internet, tv, and phone.

Basically where I moved in there was already AT&T service but I can't do 18mb/s and go fios but their router is garbage. I only get 45 on a 75 and I'm setting 4ft away. Their guy tried to blame it on my computer....

I've already followed that link and it did not work :/ after step 10 it failed.
arandomguy

arandomguy to More Fiber

Anon

to More Fiber
said by More Fiber:

said by arandomguy :

AT&T is using our cat5

So run another cat5.

The verizon installer said he couldn't since AT&T was using it. How can I do that?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to arandomguy

MVM

to arandomguy
said by arandomguy :

That configuration is LAN to LAN. Two things could go wrong in setting up Asus as secondary:
1. You could be setting Asus WAN then connecting Asus LAN to Actiontec LAN, or
2. Your Asus LAN is set to different subnet than Actiontec uses.
Double-check your settings and make sure it's LAN to LAN.

However some Asus features may require the use of the Asus WAN. In that case connect Asus WAN to Actiontec LAN and make sure the Actiontec uses a different subnet than the Asus, i.e., Actiontec 192.168.1.1 and Asus 192.168.2.1, where both routers are delivering LAN addresses with DHCP turned on.

One way to run cat5 if you don't have the tool to crimp an end, is to purchase a manufactured cable already terminated and run it from ONT to where you want to place the centrally-located Asus. Since you have internet-only from Verizon, you can request the ONT be provisioned via ethernet. Then the Asus will be primary.

But I think you'll do well enough with that Asus WAN to Actiontec LAN configuration.

arandomguy
@71.164.252.x

arandomguy

Anon

said by birdfeedr:

said by arandomguy :

That configuration is LAN to LAN. Two things could go wrong in setting up Asus as secondary:
1. You could be setting Asus WAN then connecting Asus LAN to Actiontec LAN, or
2. Your Asus LAN is set to different subnet than Actiontec uses.
Double-check your settings and make sure it's LAN to LAN.

However some Asus features may require the use of the Asus WAN. In that case connect Asus WAN to Actiontec LAN and make sure the Actiontec uses a different subnet than the Asus, i.e., Actiontec 192.168.1.1 and Asus 192.168.2.1, where both routers are delivering LAN addresses with DHCP turned on.

One way to run cat5 if you don't have the tool to crimp an end, is to purchase a manufactured cable already terminated and run it from ONT to where you want to place the centrally-located Asus. Since you have internet-only from Verizon, you can request the ONT be provisioned via ethernet. Then the Asus will be primary.

But I think you'll do well enough with that Asus WAN to Actiontec LAN configuration.

Okay I'll go head and go over it right now. So the only way for this to work is to have it run from ONT to cat5 and not coax?

I called verizon and they said they needed a dedicated cat5 from the ONT.